TSDZ2, VLCD5 and geared shift sensor

revher

100 mW
Hi all,
I am new on this list. Unfortunately, I discovered that the Bafang BBS01B (which has a gear sensor cable) could not be used for my coaster brake bike. I made a 32mn YouTube video on this transformation for beginners and also for people who want to know how Bafang should provide a better, cheaper and legal kit for European legislation regarding Pedelecs EN-15194 (throttle are illegal and e-brake are therefore useless).

But now, I want to change the Bafang BBS01B with the Tongsheng TSDZ2 (which I discovered lately). And I wonder if
- I should keep the gear sensor: it seems mandatory for the Bafang in order to save my 8-speed internal gear hub;
- and if yes, how can I wire it to the TSDZ2 motor (in the absence of such a specific output)?

I was willing to buy the smallest VLCD6, but what I found yet is that I need to buy the VCLD5 monitor with 8 pins (but I don't need the throttle) not the standard 6 pins and a cable connected in front, to the monitor and to the rear, to the Bafang gear sensor already in place. Such wiringing is described on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33060254663.html.

My YouTube video is on [youtube]ymfsk54dUzs[/youtube]. I speak in French but the subtitles are in English

Regards,

Hi all,

You seem very interested in my above newbies topic...

More precisely and for resuming: is there a way to find among the 6 pins of each of the two output cables from the TSDZ2 mid-motor (either the E-bus cable or the speed sensor cable), the three corresponding pins of the gear sensor cable?
Or should I buy a very long cable from the VLCD5 monitor back to the rear gear sensor?

I tested yesterday my wife's Vermont Jersey E-bike for 25km within center Paris. Bikester said that the mid-motor was a Trio and in fact it is a TSDZ2 coaster brake bike. The standard setting of the TSDZ2 is much more sporty than the standard setting of Bafang and requires a significantly greater force on the pedals to get assistance. Is there a simple way to change these settings to decrease this necessary force? I am indeed much more tired than with the Bafang.

Also with this TSDZ2 coaster brake, the gears (7 gears in the rear hub) can be changed easily but we can very clearly hear noises from the detachment of the pinions and this confirms my idea of installing the speed change sensor (which is already in place) when I replace the Bafang with a TSDZ2.

Regards,

revher said:
I tested yesterday my wife's Vermont Jersey E-bike for 25km within center Paris. Bikester said that the mid-motor was a Trio and in fact it is a TSDZ2 coaster brake bike. The standard setting of the TSDZ2 is much more sporty than the standard setting of Bafang and requires a significantly greater force on the pedals to get assistance. Is there a simple way to change these settings to decrease this necessary force? I am indeed much more tired than with the Bafang.

Have a look at an alternate firmware for the TSDZ2: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818

Also you must know that in principle, you need to put in work to get assist on the TSDZ2, vs the cadence sensored Bafang (where you can just spin the pedals)

But you can tweak the assist on the alternate firmware to get constant 800W+ with minimal input (and burn the motor :lol: =

Hi, and thank you for your answer.
I just looked at the OpenSource Firmware and it looks great but not a 5 minutes affair: I need to buy a newer monitor (I bought the VLCD5 and my Bafang bike was a C965 instead of the 850C) and it will avoid the warranty.

Instead, I was thinking whether I could use longer cranks (10%?). German bike with coaster brake are usually higher than other bikes.
What do you think?

Also you focused on "cadence sensored vs torque sensor mid-motor" and I better understood the difference: with the TSDZ2 when your effort on pedaling is less, the motor decreases its power on the chain and you can more easily change the gear. It could be the main reason why there is no discussion on the gear sensor for the TSDZ2.

The problem with such forums (I am not specifically pointing on ES) is that one can read strange and wrong information. For example, I read that the Bafang motors were not allowed in the EU. I always prefer a wiki but I did not find a good one.

Regards,

You can also install it on the stock LCD, all you need is a stlink adapter: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98281

Yes, you don't really need the shift sensor with the TSDZ2, as long as you know how to shift gears and remove pressure from pedals.

Well, as long as you ride under 25kmh and add a 250W sticker even a BBSHD can be "legal" in EU. :lol: I'm afraid you will not achieve much without installing the opensource firmware, unless you ride in turbo all the time, that doesn't require very much effort for 20+ kmh.

Hi and thank you for your comments which help a lot.

This morning I again used the TSDZ2 equipped bike to get to work. And I admit that the driving was much less painful than the very first day; I believe that the magnet was not well in front of the speed sensor (I indeed read on a forum that it was the frequent reason for a difficulty in pedaling).

And I really enjoyed these 46 minutes in Paris. It's a new day of strike and many people are on bikes. In 15 years Paris has been transformed and is much more accessible to bikes. On the 13 km of my new route (previously I was only 10 km and had a simple bike), almost all of it is on an autonomous cycle path.
Parisian cyclists are much more numerous because of the strikes and stop more and more often at the red lights instead of burning them. Likewise, motorists are increasingly stopping 3 meters before the red light line to allow cyclists to pass. Unheard of in Paris! And Paris is becoming more and more like a city in Denmark.

I am therefore no longer convinced to change the standard setting of the TSDZ2 (I am at maximum power all the time). There is also no reason to install a speed change sensor on this Vermont Jersey 7 speed in the hub because with the TSDZ2 it is just enough not to force the pedal when changing the speed. You are right.

The city of Paris encourages the purchase of an EN 15194 electric bike and reimburses a third of the price excluding tax (up to € 400). Thus, of the 999.99 euros (including transport), 275 € were reimbursed for the purchase of the new Vermont.

I was also reimbursed € 145 for the purchase of the Bafang kit on Aliexpress (€ 525 with the speed change sensor) for my old, now electrified bike. I will think about whether or not to change to a TSDZ2 because it often rains here in winter and a good coaster seems to me to offer better security.

Thanks to all again

Hi all,
It was too dangerous (for me) to bike in central Paris under the rain and during the night without the coaster brake originally installed on the 8-speed internal hub of my bike.By installing the Bafang BBS01-B, I was suppressing this security feature.

Therefore, I bought a new Tongsheng Coaster Brake TSDZ2 mid-motor from Aliexpress in Germany and replaced the Bafang by the Tongsheng. I also discovered that the left XH18 LCD monitor was smaller and easier to use than the C965 with its I/O button.

I made a new YouTube video describing the work (it is in French with description in English titles) if you are interested.
[youtube]V7BcizF8LV8[/youtube]

Having used it for a few days, I really appreciate this TSDZ2 motor!

And now, as you are recommend installing the OpenSource firmware, I would like to get a try on it.
But things are very confusing for me and I can't find clarification.

- I am well aware of softwares and GPL licences but it doesn't seem to be true for people who adapted the GPL licensed Java Gui of Stancoke and Xnyle, to flash the XH18 monitor. I haven't found the source code (look at the discussion of 31 December 2019 on the Italian forum at https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98281&p=1519549#p1519098. I can be wrong and haven't add enough time yet to compile anything.

- I am not well aware of hardware connections and signal loss. I bought a STLINK-V2 USB with a short 4 wires cables which I know how to plug into the male output (6 pins) of the Tongsheng motor (this corresponds to the output for the speed sensor [and lights]) in order to flash a new firmware to its controller. The distance between the STLINK-V2 and the TSDZ2 controller is short and the flashing will probably work;

- but concerning the XH18 monitor, the XH18 monitor that I bought has a long cable which is wired to the monitor on one side and to a male 6 pins connectors on the motor side. My question is: is the length of this cable too long ?

For resuming, should I buy a Tongsheng speed sensor extension cable, shorten the XH18 cable in order to flash securely?

Thank you for your advices, in a second step and when I have time, I will try to compile the software and better understand how the Java GUI is useful for the XH18 monitor.

Regards,

Back