PAS sensor acting weird?

costad

10 mW
Hi,

I just replaced my old controller with a new Brainpower controller with throttle and LH100 screen on my bike. Everything is working fine, except for PAS.

I followed all the tips I could find about settings in the LCD screen, set to 12 magnets, PAS on, tried reversing the pedals etc, to no avail.

By accident i tried to move the pedals back and forth like a quarter of a turn a few times, and the motor started to run. The faster I go back and forth, the faster the motor is running.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Links to what I have:
https://dyncdn.thg.dk/img/230224033_0_m_719_1200.JPG (PAS sensor)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07LB249DC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1 (Controller + Throttle)

Could be the distance between the magnets and sensor. Can you post a
Pic of your installation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already tried to press the sensor all the way up to the magnets, with a like 1mm gap between them, and it did not change anything.
Also, when I connect my old controller, everything is working fine again.

costad said:
I have already tried to press the sensor all the way up to the magnets, with a like 1mm gap between them, and it did not change anything.
Also, when I connect my old controller, everything is working fine again.
Then a pic of the wiring and connectors for the PAS may help.

Sure, I have taken a few pictures. Forgot to mention that the throttle is working fine.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 774
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 774
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 774
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 774
Sensor pickup can be directional . When you go back and forth with the pedal, and the motor works , it could be activating on the reverse stroke. If so , remove the 2 screws that hold the sensor to the mounting ring. Turn the sensor and wire 1/2 turn , and remount it .

Stupid question, but doesn't it give the same result as reversing the pedals all the time? :oops:

Even though it's likely that the red and black wires from the controller are +5V and GND, I'd check them with your voltmeter. Did you do any re-ordering of the wires to the connectors or just plug the PAS in?

I had to switch the red and blue color from the controller, so the blue color is in the middle now.
I can measure 4.4V between red and gnd. Does it have to be +5V?

costad said:
I had to switch the red and blue color from the controller, so the blue color is in the middle now.
I can measure 4.4V between red and gnd. Does it have to be +5V?

No, +4.4V sounds right. Still could be the wiring order, but not as likely.

I also just measured the PAS connection on the old controller, and it's 4.8v between red and black, so I guess the wiring is correct as they are placed identically as the new controller.

Also, the sensor is flashing red when i peddle forward at each magnet, and constantly lighting up when reversing if that's of any help.

I have tried both 1 and 24. 1 seems to be the most sentitive, so that's where it is now.
I bought a new sensor and magnet wheel today, and it's doing the same, so it's the controller, or somewhere in settings I guess

Hello,
Pedaling backwards and everything should work.
If so, swap magnetic orientation from Disk or install PAS System on other Side.

mfg Martin

No, pedaling backwards does not work. Whatever direction I pedal continuously does not work. I have to let the magnet move from left to right, and then from right to left over the sensor in a steady pace all the time to get my motor to start, just like when you paint a little piece of wood.

Yes, it's very weird :(

Hello,
Wrong Sensor? XLD cannot handle any Type of DoubleHall Sensor, i.E. KT V12.
Try with a Standard 5-8 Magnets PAS Sytem.

mfg Martin

Oh, so my 8 year old controller can do that, but not a brand new one.
Guess it's a really bad controller I found on Amazon. At least they could write about the compatibility stuff, so people don't waste time with this nonsense :(

Anyway, thanks for all your replies, I will try to find a 5 magnet one.

So looking for a new sensor, but they don't really write whether it's single or dual hall.
Can I safely find a 5 or 8 magnet and assume it's single, or can they be dual as well?

Back