KT-LCD5 PAS 12 magnet settings

Swell6

10 µW
I'm looking to fit a 12 magnet disc to work with my LCD5 display - I currently have a 5 magnet disc.
The C1 settings allow selection of different numbers of magnets, as listed below.
Will the 05, 06 and 07 settings only work with sensors which detect reverse also? Or will these work with a straight 12 magnet disc & regular sensor?
Or
Does this mean that the maximum number of magnets I can use on a regular sensor is 10?

C1 parameter definition table:

KUNTENG power-assist sensors

Forward 5 Signal
00 Standard
01 Lower
02 Lowest

Forward 8 Signal
00 Higher
01 Standard
02 Lower

Forward 10 Signal
00 Highest
01 Higher
02 Standard

KUNTENG V12 power-assist sensors

Reverse 6 Signal
05 Standard
06 Lower
07 Lowest

Reverse 10 Signal
05 Higher
06 Standard
07 Lower

Reverse 12 Signal
05 Highest
06 Higher
07 Standard

What kind of bottom bracket are you using? The KT-V12 design is nice and compact, and one piece, so if it's compatible, might be the best choice.

file.php

My experience was that "forward" was for mounting the disc on one side of the crank, and reverse the other. As long as you get that right your PAS should work. I experimented with the different number of magnets, and on my controller anyway, it made no difference what number I selected.

Interesting, could be a good option. My bottom bracket is very standard with square section crank fitting, very tight between crank and end cap, had to grind about 1mm off the crank just to get a regular disk in. How much axle space does a KTv12 need?

Out of interest, on a KTv12 does the inner part spin on the axle inside the outer part - which I imagine holds the sensor?

Would my setup work with a regular 12 magnet or 10 magnet disc?

Hello,
KT V12 are labeled as V12L and V12R.
You should have the V12 L mounted correctly.
Yes, the Magnets rotate on inner Disk, the Sensorring adds 7mm ,if fully seated.

mfg Martin

Swell6 said:
Interesting, could be a good option. My bottom bracket is very standard with square section crank fitting, very tight between crank and end cap, had to grind about 1mm off the crank just to get a regular disk in. How much axle space does a KTv12 need?

Out of interest, on a KTv12 does the inner part spin on the axle inside the outer part - which I imagine holds the sensor?

Would my setup work with a regular 12 magnet or 10 magnet disc?

Might be tight. The part that faces the bottom bracket shell fits into a Shimano cartridge style bottom bracket. The portion outside the bottom bracket is fairly narrow, but thicker than the usual PAS disk.

v12.jpg

I have the Shimano style end cap so it would fit into that but not enough space between that and the crank. Will do some experimentation...

I tried a 12 magnet regular disc and no matter what the C1 setting used it wouldn't work. I've ordered a 10 magnet disc from Aliexpress so will update when that's been tested.
Currently I have to turn the pedals more than one full turn before PAS kicks in, so I'm hoping that with more magnets that will happen quicker.

Swell6 said:
I tried a 12 magnet regular disc and no matter what the C1 setting used it wouldn't work. I've ordered a 10 magnet disc from Aliexpress so will update when that's been tested.
Currently I have to turn the pedals more than one full turn before PAS kicks in, so I'm hoping that with more magnets that will happen quicker.

I would check the wiring order on the 12 magnet PAS. The C1 settings don’t matter much for just getting it working, but you can make adjustments afterwards. PAS sensors don’t have a standard wiring order, so you’re lucky if you can just plug it in and have it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using the same sensor so the wiring was ok.
I've since fitted a 10 magnet disc and that works great! The manual only lists 5, 8 and 10 magnet discs so it does seem explain why the 12 magnet disc wouldn't work. I'm using a C1 value of 0 which is for the highest "start sensitivity", which is the same value I was using for the 5 magnet disc.
My reason for doing this was to reduce the lag between starting to pedal and the pedal assist kicking in and this has been achieved. With the 5 magnet disc it took a full turn of the pedals for the PAS to kick in, but now it kicks in after just a half turn which is what I was aiming for - so it was worth the swap!

Swell6 said:
I was using the same sensor so the wiring was ok.
I've since fitted a 10 magnet disc and that works great! The manual only lists 5, 8 and 10 magnet discs so it does seem explain why the 12 magnet disc wouldn't work.

Another likely reason that the 12 magnet disc wouldn’t work with the sensor made for 5 magnets is that the sensor can’t isolate the magnetic field from the two adjacent magnets. Before I switched to my V12 PAS, I experimented with adding neodymium magnets to my disc to increase the resolution. That stopped working once the magnet spacing got too small. That explains why the diameter of my 5 magnet disc is smaller than the diameter of a 10 or 12 magnet disc, since e there needs to be enough spacing to work with the sensor.
Whether PAS works or not has to do with wiring, placement, and orientation; while the LCD settings are secondary, and dictate what is done with a valid signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swell6 said:

Press out every other magnet to make it a 6 magnet disc, then it'll work. that's if you have it the right way round. Some of the 12 magnet sensors are handed, so they will only work on one side of the bike and you can't flip the magnet disc like you can on non-handed ones. I always tell people to avoid 12 magnet discs because there are many compatibility issues. Stick to a standard 5 magnet disc if you want reliability. Contrary to popular belief, a 12 magnet one doesn't work any better that you can notice.

I have similar problem with 12 magnets one though on kt-lcd3 screen. When I pedal pas sensor red light is flashing but doesn't give any engine power, it's installed to left side. I've tried c1 settings 2-7, with some c1 settings it gives a bit under 1 second push when starting to pedal but stops there. Throttle works normally.

settings:
p settings: p1 100, p2 1, p3 1, p4 0, p5 15
C settings: C1 08, C2 0, C3 0, C4 4, C5 10, C6 3, C7 1, C8 0, C9 0, C10 n, C11 0, C12 4, C13 0, C14 1

Motor:
MXUS XF15
48V
this kit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000258829938.html
PAS sensor: KT-D12L , 12 magnets

Edit:

Got it working with c1 as 4. Had to remove battery and then attach it again and PAS magically started to work.

Back