Diy battery. CASE on/off switch, how to connect?

TatePL

10 µW
Hi,

I'm building a 13s5p battery and I have bought a hailong battery case, but I don't know where to connect the on/off switch of the case....

In the attached picture you can see the red switch Im talking about.

Could someone help me please?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_201949 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200217_201949 (1).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,277
TatePL said:

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps this would be helpful: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14748&sid=57690586a7f9c88942c40feb8c358a95

E-HP said:
TatePL said:

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps this would be helpful: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14748&sid=57690586a7f9c88942c40feb8c358a95
Thank you!

Now I could add the picture, thank you again!

Hi,

I'm building a 13s5p battery for my ebike and I have bought a hailong battery case, but I don't know where to connect the on/off switch of the case.... the BMS has no on/off connections!

Could someone help me please?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• bateria.jpg
    bateria.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,302
  • bateria2.JPG
    bateria2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,302
May not be doable. That switch isn't designed to handle the full battery output, so unless you wire up some sort of relay or choose another BMS, you may be out of luck.

E-HP said:
May not be doable. That switch isn't designed to handle the full battery output, so unless you wire up some sort of relay or choose another BMS, you may be out of luck.

Do you mean something like this?

Attachments

• rele.png
    rele.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,186
Is there any way to have the power switch also disconnect the BMS (which I presume draws power from the battery) e.g. a relay that could break multiple of the flat cable/series wires?

I'm not sure but you can try connecting the switch inline to one of the bms balance wires. If I disconnect one on my bms it shuts down. May work.

I avoid that problem by buying a BMS with an ON/OFF switch.

Once I thought I could get the BMS to shut off if I put a switch in one of the balance wires and opened it up. It didn't work and while I should have analyzed why it didn't work, instead I ordered the right BMS.

docw009 said:
Once I thought I could get the BMS to shut off if I put a switch in one of the balance wires and opened it up. It didn't work
most of the common cheap bms designs don't check for a floating cell input, or for a voltage that's far enough below the lvc cutoff point for a cell. in both of those cases, the bms just operates normally as if a cell was connected to that input, and was still within the normal range between lvc and hvc. (there have been a number of instances of packs that failed in one way or another because of this problem, where a broken balance wire eventually led to overcharge of a cell group, or a cell group that discharged way too low during a deep discharge, and the bms can't see that, because its too low for it to detect. :( )

if it were a well-designed bms that checks for open-circuit error conditions, and shuts down the output based on that, it'd work to put a switch in the balance lead.

while that will shut off the output. which appears to be the point of this particular thread, it doens't actually shutdown the bms, which a bms with an on/off switch may respond to by going into a low-power state for storage, in case that's a requirement.

if it helps, there's a thread aroudn here with a circuit diagram / analysis of the common cheap bms design. sorry i can't remember who posted it, but the title is similar to the description.

Back