MOTOR GURU'S, CHIME IN!!!: Which of these motors has better performance?

rockstar195

100 W
I currently have motor #2. These are MY1020 type motor's. #1 is supposedly a newer design and I'm trying to find out if I'll get better gains from the newer design.

#1)
brushless-motor-m598-3.jpg

#2) motor4il.jpegmotor3l.jpeg

rockstar195 said:
I currently have motor #2. These are MY1020 type motor's. #1 is supposedly a newer design and I'm trying to find out if I'll get better gains from the newer design.
Looks like #1 is brushed and #2 is brushless. Totally different types of motor.

in general, a brushless motor performs better. Not that there are not high performance brushed motors. But in the bike motors, the brushed lost quite a bit of energy into heat. They got hot faster for sure, and once hot, would slog when the brushes arced too much.

the pictures you have there *are* showing a brushed motor armature.

so if the motor is *not* a brushed motor, the pictures are wrong.

The second one looks like a better more capable motor, as it is a 9 slot 3 pole pair brushless 3 phase inrunner motor with a fan built into the rotor to help it cool better. I started this journey in 2007 with a 400W 1020 Unite brushed motor, which was way too unpowered for the hills here, so after a week I took it off of the bike and put it on a riding toy for the kids. Since you've already tried one it's time to graduate too something far better. Sure it seems cheaper up front, but that's giving zero value to your time or consideration to parts and repairs cost. Now that hubmotors are available all the way down to the size of skateboard wheels, do yourself a favor and try a hubmotor on whatever project you have planned. You'll never go back.

I still believe #1 is not a brushed motor, it may look like it is but I strongly believe it is not.

Here is the listing on amazon, described as a 72V 3000w "Brushless" motor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844QQFVY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&smid=A2LENQIUQD99WB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFESkJaTUtIRUFMOU8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwNjQ4MjYyRlJaV0JVUzFEQ0FCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMTQ1MjYxOFpIMENFTDlCTTEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwyJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

rockstar195 said:
I still believe #1 is not a brushed motor, it may look like it is but I strongly believe it is not.

The 1st picture you have on this thread shows a rotor with copper windings on it, and when the copper spins, then only way for electricity to get to that copper is via brushes.

There's conflicting info on that Amazon listing. It shows a brushless motor based on the wire harness in the picture and some of the description, but in other parts of the description it's talking about a brushed motor. eg cast copper rotor, and changing spin direction by simply reversing the motor wires.

In picture#1, it is obvious that the rotor which is shown is not the same as the rotor in the motor due to difference in the output shaft end. Also, on the opposite end of the rotor, at the edge of the photo frame, the commutator and wire connections are just visible. The motor may be BLDC, but the rotor is a DC armature with commutator.
Regards,
major

rockstar195 said:

Here is the listing on amazon, described as a 72V 3000w "Brushless" motor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844QQFVY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&smid=A2LENQIUQD99WB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFESkJaTUtIRUFMOU8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwNjQ4MjYyRlJaV0JVUzFEQ0FCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMTQ1MjYxOFpIMENFTDlCTTEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwyJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Pretty funny you would pay attention to a random seller online compared to the obviously smart members here?

You won't get anywhere until you learn to be discerning about your sources of facts and learning

You should really skip those motors entirely and step up to real motors.
What will the motor be used on?
You could look at mid drive motors like the http://www.cyclone-tw.com/ or the BBSHD's.
Or look at the https://www.leafbike.com/ hub motors.
Or go with the generic hub motors from Yescomusa, Xccessories, Voilmart etc.

Amazon must manage millions of new postings every week, and they do not have any motor experts to help them sort the pictures and claims.

The Amazon link you provided has three images in one pic. The pic of the outside of a motor looks like a brushless motor, and the pics of copper coils looks like the armature of a brushed motor.

Every picture of the second motor is brushless.

Whoever is selling these, they have an IT guy who manages their online ads, and he put together pics that are contradictory.

Go to TNC scooter supplies. This is what they do for a living, and their catalog pics are correct.

Back