eBike 2 motor with one regenerative

I have two motor, a Bafang and an Ezee.

I am looking to the the Ezee for this one with regenerative capacity
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/gmac.html
From what I understand, this emac motor could be my main way of breaking in my city ride.

I switch between motor regularly during a ride, and sometime use both, for speed or high pitch hill. I use the bafang more often because It is silent and when the Ezee it is also silent when not in use. Noise is important for me.

Is there a way to configure it so that when not in use it does not make noise and does not break the bike.
And obviously it would break or power on demand.

Not sure how to do that or if it is possible

Thank you

SunPoweredWorldTour said:
Is there a way to configure it so that when not in use it does not make noise and does not break the bike.

A little of one, none of the other.

If you pair the GMAC with a Phaserunner or Baserunner motor controller, you can configure the controller's "electronic freewheeling" function to constantly feed a small amount of current to the GMAC, to overcome the motor's drag.

However, the GMAC is capable of regen specifically because it can't freewheel. That's the tradeoff. So as long as the wheel is spinning, the internals (motor, internal gearing) are spinning, and as long as the internals are spinning, it won't be perfectly silent.

If you want to follow through with your idea while retaining extreme silence, you'll want a more typical direct-drive hub.

NCC1941 said:
If you want to follow through with your idea while retaining extreme silence, you'll want a more typical direct-drive hub.
Wow that was fast :)
what do you mean by typical direct drive hub ?

A hub motor without internal gearing to make noise. It won't regen as powerfully as a GMAC from what I hear (haven't used the GMAC myself), but I've had good results with a direct drive hub + a Phaserunner producing enough regen to mostly handle my everyday braking needs.

Since you're already looking at ebikes.ca, here's their selection of direct drive hub motors: https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors/direct-drive.html

NCC1941 said:
Since you're already looking at ebikes.ca, here's their selection of direct drive hub motors: https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors/direct-drive.html

Ohhh, do you think I could do it with my current Ezee motor
I wanted to replace the Ezee with the GMac, but if I can do regen with the Ezee, that would be great.

(I just realize that in my first post, there is an error
I wrote
I have two motor, a Bafang and an Ezee.I am looking to the the Ezee for this one with regenerative capacity

I should have wrote
I have two motor, a Bafang and an Ezee. I am looking to replace the Ezee for this one with regenerative capacity

Ohhh, do you think I could do it with my current Ezee motor
I wanted to replace the Ezee with the GMac, but if I can do regen with the Ezee, that would be great.

As I mentioned in my prior comment, the GMAC (along with direct-drive motors) can do regen specifically because they can't freewheel. Your Ezee can freewheel, therefore it is incapable of regen.

I've heard of people opening up their Ezee motors and welding the clutch so that it can no longer freewheel, and I'm pretty sure there are some posts here on Endless Sphere about doing so, but that's not something I'm knowledgeable about.

Back