Are there any decent cheap chargers (13s Lithium ion)?

Smoke

100 W
I am about to finish up a stalled project and make a 13s 48v lithium ion battery for it.

I need a cheap battery charger. Something between 2 and 4 amps. Hopefully pretty compact so I can take it with me.

My battery has a good BMS on it so I think I just need something that is not going to overcharge.

I have enough battery capacity that I think I can charge to 3.9v per cell for extended battery life. I'm not sure if my BMS allows me to set the charging end point so it might be nice if I could adjust the voltage to 50.7v.

What should I be looking at? eBay has lots of China chargers around $20 but they look really cheap. Nicer plastics and won't blow up my bike are what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help.

meanwell led driver., Highest quality electronic product in the house, no fan and waterproof which is also nice. Variable current and voltage within a certain range which is different for each model. If want to buy then search through the specs sheets to find the model that fits your needs there is at least 50 different models, then either buy new or if you want one cheap there often available second hand on ebay for almost nothing. also get a cheap dc power meter if you want to see what the voltage is and how much energy is going into your batteries.

Thanks, I have used Meanwell before but just 5, 12 and 24v DC power supplies, not LED drivers.

I will have to look in to them.

HLG series, 54V nominal model with A for adjustable at the end

can go from 45.9 ~ 56.7Vdc

600W is the biggest, but can be stacked

No auto termination though, can use a HVC for that

Just remembered have a stack of used

HLG-240H-54A so 240W or ~4A

will sell for $40 each plus actual postage, discounts for three or more.

Thanks, I'm going to look for a spec sheet on that model.

If it looks right, I would be pretty silly to pass up a legit 4A charger for that price.

Not a charger, just a PSU.

As I said you have to watch for when the pack is full with your own DMM / ammeter and terminate charging.

Risk of disaster burning down the house if you forget and leave it on forever.

A timer would do, but HVC control would be better.

Of course everyone knows you never leave LI packs charging unattended anyway.

Just buy one of the cheap 13s ones for now. They don't last so long in most cases, but they are cheap.

Later on, experiment with other things, as funds are there for it.

Much later on, if your funds allow, treat yourself to a satiator. I was so stupid not doing it sooner.

Back