Hmmmm, regen

E-HP

10 GW
Hmmmm, that's the sound my motor makes under regen. Two different sine wave controllers, same hum, a little more pronounced with the one I'm using now, but that may be a function of the regen current settings.

It's a higher pitched hum, sort of like if you have rim brakes that don't have enough toe-in. Noticeable, since under power, the motor is silent. It has some benefits, letting pedestrians know I'm coming when I slow down. :) . Can be a little annoying on a very long descent.

So I recall that our BLDC motors are considered trapezoidal electric motors, as opposed to sine wave motors, which are AC. Different controllers drive them differently (square/trapezoidal, "sine wave", FOC sine wave), which may affect sound and efficiency. But then I wondered, what happens under regen?. Maybe the regen signal is trapezoidal, and creating the sound? Thoughts?

Not exactly relevant, but has some good info on what the wave forms look like, at least under the normal drive condition. I noticed that weird ripply one for phase current, so I wonder if that creates a similar signal when flowing in reverse:
https://www.motioncontroltips.com/faq-trapezoidal-back-emf/

My "best guess" is that the noise generated by regen, and the volume, are both going to be dependent on the current being generated at the moment.

Point being, if it's making you nuts, set it up so it's not trying to pass as much current....

And yes, I get it. That's going to affect how much braking you have with regen, but unfortunately, if you want to play, you're going to pay it seems....

Back