Unable to connect baserunner to computer

Domstone86

1 µW
Hi all. This is my first post here. Been lurking around since getting myself an ebike sorted a few months ago and have been impressed (and confused) with the level of knowledge on this site. Fortunately it doesn't look quite as alien as before...

The bike in question is a modded ebike with the original battery, motor and controller stripped and replaced with a Voilamart front hub motor, a Baserunner Z9 controller and 2x 20ah 48v li-ion batteries.
I will only speak of my current issues, however my experience with this bike has now left me at wits end after an onslaught of what appears to be supernaturally bad luck!

So my controller is not being recognised by the computer through the appropriate COM port (PC and Mac). There is a steady 52v going into the device from a fully charged battery. I have tried different computers, a different cable, turning everything off and on etc...

The only thing I might have an issue with that I recognise and can't validate is whether the motor needs to be connected for the controller to be recognised. I have cut an extension Z910 cable to connect to the motor and spliced the cables together (twisted with PVC tape to secure temporary for testing purposes). There was a like for like colour match on all cables aside from an unused white speed sensor cable so it looked like it could fit, though I'm aware there is no standardisation and the colours could be out.

So my questions are:

Does the motor need to be correctly connected for the controller to turn on?

How can I find a way to verify which wires connect to what in the event that colours don't match?

Many thanks, this has been a fresh challenge in a nightmare that's bothered me for months and I'm feeling very stuck. Haven't heard back from customer support yet.

My baserunner connects without plugging in the motor. Does the LED light up or blink?

As for the hall sensor wires, as long as you dont mix up 5v and 0v, it should not matter, the controller should figure it out during autotune. 5v should be red, and 0v should be black, those are the important ones. Pin layout for the controller plug is on ebikes.ca.

You could try to leave the hall sensors hanging, and just connect phase wires. The motor will run in sensorless mode. It is a lot more tweaking to get it running good, and it will never be as smooth during startup, though. But it should get you up and running. Im running sensorless on my own baserunner atm because of some hall sensor issues, and it is OK after some tuning, but I want to get the hall issue sorted...

Oh, and unless you have plugged in a cycle analyst, there are some hidden wires in the throttle connector that needs to be shorted or connected to a switch, to get the baserunner to turn on. Cant remember the colors, but it is in one of the info pages on ebikes.ca

Oh my god you are amazing! :)

Didnt even realise there was an LED.

I shorted the White and Yellow wire together that were hidden under heartstrink as instructed on their site and it enabled it. Guess it needed the throttle connected properly or something. I'll let you know how setup goes.

Ok so it took some messing around, but I finally have a functioning ebike for the first time in over a month! Its a wonderful feeling.

There are 2 things that I'm not too sure about however. The main thing is that I can't seem to get the hall sensors to work (it was giving a hall sensor error LED message), though on autotune it had some show up, which all disappeared when I changed 2 of those wires over. Currently all disconnected so haven't actually tested with them on yet.

The other one is a random warning[8] message about regen brake voltage. I'm not at my computer now so can't give any more info, but it's not so important as I'm not setting that up just yet anyway and it feels like it would be spamming this thread.

Not sure if you know how to test the halls without using the controller, but I found this that I will attempt myself, once I can get a hold of a 10K resistor: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/kits/golden-motor-magic-pie/110168-testing-bldc-motor-s-phase-wiring-hall-sensors-and-wiring

Back