Brainpower controller and s866 display ,problems

Hi
No responce to my previous question so carried on setting up system,i connected the battery,hall wires,display and motor phases,tested inteligent learning and it ran ok,set up s866 p01 through to p20 fine,then pressed plus for a second to turn on lights ( not connected at this time) just because it was next on my list,the light indicator light came on briefly then everything went blank,i cant get anything to work now,not even inteligent wires work,battery fuse is ok,power from battery ok,no wires seem to be crossed up,what can i do ?
Steve

Number 1 thing to check, ALWAYS, for nearly any problem, is loose connections, check individual pins, everything, more than once. Connectors are not solid, pins can get loose, wires cut or frayed, Chinese quality control is minimal to non-existant.

Not familiar with that controller or display, but does sound like a possibility of an error turning on the light when none is connected. Also possible it just died right at that moment.

Disconnect all, leave power to controller and display disconnected for several minutes, reconnect and try again. Double check connections again.

If it works, then don't turn the light on.

There is also the possibility of jumping the power wires to bypass the display and activate the controller. No setup and minimal function, but if feasible this will at least isolate the problem to the display only. Will need detailed wiring diagram to identify correct wires, if available.

If still no go, start looking at warranty support and paying shipping again.

Hi Bob
Ive checked the wiring but will do it again,dont think its at fault though,agreed isolating display and controller to test is a good idea,other than disconecting it what else is needed ?
I " may" have shorted the two wires from the controller marked lamp or light while passing them through the frame,dont know what damage that would do ?
I have a download photo of the basic controller wires marking which is which not a wiring diagram as such,but i cant figure how to get it onto this post.
Could i have blown a shunt do you think , my new battery just charged is pushing out 54 v,i get a brief flashback of the " O'MY" moment realising it had blown of a faint puff of smoke smell of burnt electrics from the controller area,fixed in my head.
I dont think warranty is going to be an option here.
Going to disconnect everything and wait a bit now,do you think sending it to bed with no supper will teach it a lesson.😋

Just want to make sure I got this right.

So, you ran the wires, for the lights, thru the frame, and, um, you THINK you MAY have shorted these wires, when running them.

Lights meant to run at full pack voltage, by any chance?

Then, after connecting everything, and KNOWING, that you may have shorted the lighting wires, the very next thing you did was TURN ON THE LIGHTS?

After that, you actually saw, and smelt, smoke, maybe even sparks and possibly actual flame, erupting from one of the primary components of your system, and THEN, after not mentioning the possible shorted wires in your very first post, you proceeded to also FAIL to mention this, as well, in your very first post?

Any possibility an elephant stepped on it as well? If so, mentioning that would be an important step towards achieving a successful diagnosis and solution.

Blinky88. JohninJapan. Steve in Spain.

LOL
Everybody's a smart guy,especially after the event,no i did not realise this at the time"OBVIOUSLY" this was after checking and a fair bit of retrospective thinking,hey im the newbe here trying to sort it on my own,just trying to work through it,point is do you have any helpfull suggestions ?
Steve

Apdate
In the absence of any other feedback or assistance I have followed Mr AngryBob's advice,isolated everything for a couple of days and tried again ,nothing," nana" as we say,trying to figure out how to bypass the controller i tried short wiring it,Wow flash Bang Wallop,the black terminal pin on the controller side disintegrated ( i dont have any spares), so there's power through the controller then !
I have ripped it all out and ordered a new display/ controller combo,so now all I have to do is wait a month or so for them to arrive and fit them,in the full expectation of pressing the wrong button and blowing it up again.
Are we having fun yet.
Steve

For future readers trying to solve a similar problem, it would be VERY important to note that your bike was originally a 24V system which you are upgrading to 48V.

See, what that would almost certainly mean is that the headlight is a 24V unit and some smart guy would be able to tell you that it absolutely will not work at 48V, and in fact could blow, short, even melt and damage wires and that you should NOT use it.

Also will here repeat and emphasize that the caution about needing a wiring diagram before attempting to hotwire the display is an emphatic caution to not attempt to do so without checking that configuration. The reason for this should be obvious.

Blinky88, JohninJapan, and SteveinSpain are all members of an apparently not very exclusive club, who believe that in attempting to solve an electrical/electronic problem, it is absolutely not important to mention that when powered on, they actually witnessed "smoke, sparks, and possibly actual flame erupting" from the unit. Credit to Blinky88 for the quoted section.

Smart people who like to solve puzzles get mightily annoyed when the person requesting help is actually found to be deliberately hiding several pieces of that puzzle. It's OK to say your idiot cousin did it, it is NOT OK to totally omit that it happened.

EDIT to add - cannot see any new thread, don't really care.

Back