BLDC Controller recommendations (72v nominal, >=150A peak DC Amps)

I am looking for suggestions for a good quality (reliable) e-bike (BLDC) controller to replace my current controller. Preferably (but not a necessity) with flux-weakening and regen (or at the least e-brake) functionality.

Battery voltage= 72v nominal (could upgrade but would need new BMS/would need to modify battery so only if there is a significant advantage to stepping up the voltage..)
e-rpm= 32000 or higher (32k e-rpm equals approx 84km/h with a 26" wheel with my motor (46 poles, 23 pole pairs))
Nominal DC amps = Minimum 80A .. 90A or higher would be preferred
Peak DC amps = 150 or higher (the battery I plan to build will be able to deliver 170A (20s17p 18650 with 10A max continuous discharge per cell, using Samsung ICR18650-22P cells)
Phase amps nominal = minimum 240A .. 270A or higher preferred (3 times nominal phase amps)
Phase amps max = minimum 450A (3 times peak DC amps)

A programmable controller would be preferred.

I have looked at kelly, sabvoton, nucular, ASI BAC but there are many options and I don't know what is a good choice.. if you have suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much! 8)

All those are discussed and reviewed on this forum in other threads.

I just reviewed most of those threads. If cost wasn't an issue, I would probably pick the ASI, purchased direct, which includes factory support and programming tools. However, cost was an issue, so I ended up with the Sabvoton 72150. The bike isn't running yet, so don't know if I'm gonna be happy or not. It's also huge compared to the Phaserunner, but that one won't meet your needs.

The nuclear gets great reviews, but has a waiting list. Didn't see too much recent on Kelly.

Others you can read about, Adaptto, PowerVelocity, Votol. Probably a few more.

My choice was based on price and availability. My needs slightly less pack amps and I think lower e-rpm. Not sure there is a clear winner. Happy reading.

Buy the best - Nucular 24f
It's worth the wait .

Jonno

I Think mid 2021.

Jonno

maarten_almighty said:
Preferably (but not a necessity) with flux-weakening and regen (or at the least e-brake) functionality.

Battery voltage= 72v nominal (could upgrade but would need new BMS/would need to modify battery so only if there is a significant advantage to stepping up the voltage..)
e-rpm= 32000 or higher (32k e-rpm equals approx 84km/h with a 26" wheel with my motor (46 poles, 23 pole pairs))
Peak DC amps = 150 or higher (the battery I plan to build will be able to deliver 170A (20s17p 18650 with 10A max continuous discharge per cell, using Samsung ICR18650-22P cells)
Phase amps nominal = minimum 240A .. 270A or higher preferred (3 times nominal phase amps)

Support could be better, but the hardware seems solid -

The specs, I believe, are continuous ratings:
http://powervelocity.com/home/55-24f-15kw-sinewavesilent-controller-android-ios-bluetooth-programmable.html

goatman said:
anyone know anything about Syqiq, i think i read people from Adaptto are involved

http://syqiq.tech/

Definitely an Adaptto BMS pictured. Rest of it appear to be renders, sure looks like vaporware...

Real answer is Nucular - only downside is the wait. They are working towards serial production so I expect the supply will dramatically improve later in the year.

Ohbse said:
Real answer is Nucular - only downside is the wait.

Complicated shipping. Product of a hostile foreign country. Long wait for replacement should anything go wrong.

I say grab something cheap and available, and replace with a Nucular clone when cheaper and easier to get versions are available.

It's a motor controller. Fussing over it is like fussing over what kind of A/C compressor you have.

I wish people spent 10% as much time and energy improving battery chargers or hub motor flange spacing or axle torque retention as they do reworking controllers that work just fine already.

maarten_almighty said:
I am looking for suggestions for a good quality (reliable) e-bike (BLDC) controller to replace my current controller. Preferably (but not a necessity) with flux-weakening and regen (or at the least e-brake) functionality.

I have looked at kelly, sabvoton, nucular, ASI BAC but there are many options and I don't know what is a good choice.. if you have suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much! 8)

are these locked to sur ron?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nucular-12f-controller-Compatible-with-SurRon/224272493979?hash=item3437aead9b:g:jpcAAOSwuklf0Y1s&var=523060070186

Chalo said:
Ohbse said:
Real answer is Nucular - only downside is the wait.

Complicated shipping. Product of a hostile foreign country. Long wait for replacement should anything go wrong.

I say grab something cheap and available, and replace with a Nucular clone when cheaper and easier to get versions are available.

It's a motor controller. Fussing over it is like fussing over what kind of A/C compressor you have.

I wish people spent 10% as much time and energy improving battery chargers or hub motor flange spacing or axle torque retention as they do reworking controllers that work just fine already.

"Product of a hostile foreign country"- Oh . :eek: ..give me a BREAK! China is MUCH more hostile towards the "WEST" but we buy from them EVERYDAY like CRAZY! :lol:

Back