Connecting older Infineon too CA3?

samsavvas

100 W
Hi Folks,

I have an older 48V+ Infineon controller that I have used in the past with a CA2-DPS and a complicated loom for the brakes, throttle, CA etc. I'm considering a new build and have been wondering if I could possibly update all of the cabling to use a single cable to the bars and a CA3, with all the e-brakes & throttle connecting via the CA3? Is there any reason why this can't be done? Is there a guide or maybe a functional schematic for the Infineons anywhere? It would eliminate a rat's nest of cables...

Thanks,

Sam.

samsavvas said:
Hi Folks,

I have an older 48V+ Infineon controller that I have used in the past with a CA2-DPS and a complicated loom for the brakes, throttle, CA etc. I'm considering a new build and have been wondering if I could possibly update all of the cabling to use a single cable to the bars and a CA3, with all the e-brakes & throttle connecting via the CA3? Is there any reason why this can't be done? Is there a guide or maybe a functional schematic for the Infineons anywhere? It would eliminate a rat's nest of cables...

Thanks,

Sam.

Just swapping should work, depending on the features you currently use. If you have/use cruise control via your controller, then you will need to consider how your brake switches are wired, which may mean running a couple more wires, than the one cable dream. If you have a 3 speed switch, then you'll need to keep those wires as well, or you hardwire on high and use the CA to change the power. If you don't have either, then the swap should be easy, since the CA plug is standard, as long as you're OK with some soldering or crimping to shorten your brake and throttle cables, you should be fine.
Also if your motor isn't direct drive, you'll need the S version of the CA3 for the speed sensor, since the regular CA will get the speed signal via the hall sensor signals from the controller.

One change you'll need to make is that if you are using the CA-DP connector on the controller and it was wired for a CAv2, then to use the throttle output from the CAv3 on it you'll need to open the controller and remove the diode in the throttle wire, and connect that wire directly to the board instead. There's a note about this in the CA instructions on Grin's site.

Back