What is the 3 pin motor connector called? (the sensor cable, and is it compatible with 6 pin version?)

pippip

10 µW
I have the same controller as this dude https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93955&p=1652756
I am looking to replace that controller as I am not able to remove the speed cap.

However when I search for a new controller they seem to have a 6 wire hall connector to go with the 3 phase cables to the motor.
But my motor has a 3 pin connector instead of the 6 pin hall connector, along with the 3 phase cables.
What is the name of that connector?
And can I connect my motor to a controller with 6 pin connector or are they incompatible?

What are your goals for the top speed?
Can you give more details, what type of motor and battery etc.?

Typically if you want to increase speed you would need a higher voltage battery and also a new controller. I’m not sure what kind of motor you’re working with tho.

Im going for long range so the goal is just to remove the annoying cap.
Also to give the finger to the lawmakers for putting a nonsense speedcap on my electric bike and at the same time it is allowed to ride a moped on the same road. So there is no logic behind it.
Battery 36v, motor im not sure it is a regular EU e-bike, nothing fancy.

Eastwood said:

Typically if you want to increase speed you would need a higher voltage battery and also a new controller. I’m not sure what kind of motor you’re working with tho.

I had a look at the motor.
Its the same as
file.php

36V, 250W Bafang ?

Eastwood said:

Sounds like you need a sensorless controller. Just need to make sure that a new controller doesn’t output more amps than your battery can handle. figure out what the BMS can handle for amps.
Your controller says,
max 15 amps
Rated 7 amps

If you want to keep the same torque and just get rid of the speed cap you could buy a controller with the same ratings. If you want extra torque buy a controller that has slightly higher current but make sure it’s not more than what your BMS can handle!

But with a 36 V battery you’re not going to get that much TopSpeed. You should be able to achieve may be a few more km/h With a controller that doesn’t have a speed cap. It won’t be much though

pippip said:
I have the same controller as this dude https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93955&p=1652756
I am looking to replace that controller as I am not able to remove the speed cap.

However when I search for a new controller they seem to have a 6 wire hall connector to go with the 3 phase cables to the motor.
But my motor has a 3 pin connector instead of the 6 pin hall connector, along with the 3 phase cables.
And can I connect my motor to a controller with 6 pin connector or are they incompatible?

So you mean your motor seems to have 3 PIN connector only? Without picture impossible to say for sure but could it be z916 connector? That connector does have hall wires built in but not visible so easily.

TuomasK said:
pippip said:

So you mean your motor seems to have 3 PIN connector only? Without picture impossible to say for sure but could it be z916 connector? That connector does have hall wires built in but not visible so easily.

Hi, there is a picture in the link (the one titled "speed sensor ?") https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=233263&mode=view
Motor has the 3 phase wires and the 3 PIN connector. But the controllers I find seems to be for hall sensor, thats 5-6 pins. Im not sure what the 3 pins are. Maybe the motor has more electronics inside it or some other technology.

If I understand his investigation the dude with the same controller who opened his controller. He claims the wires go to
Red - 5V
White - XC
Black - GND

You really should use the finger to show a picture of YOUR motor cable, with its three bullet connectors and a three pin JST connector. Then everyone would instantly see you have a sensorless motor with a three pin connector for a speed sensor.
That's what the other guy had. And his controller is a 7A nominal 15A peak model. At 36V. it could peak at about 500W if it's not restricted.

And if the above is true, you can buy a sensorless controller, along with a LCD that it supports, because the display you have now will only work with the controller you have now. You can get a KT controller like this one that is sensorless. Needs a display to get the most out of it. It will peak at 20A, which is potential of 700W. There will be some work to make sure the connectors match. I don't know if this gets you more speed. That depends on the motor windings. They could have built it to max out at 15 mph, but they probably didn't. This controller will run most 36V motors at 20 mph, and it will feel stronger at 20A. It may not fit in the space you have.

https://www.pswpower.com/products/36v-48v-500w-brushless-dc-square-wave-controller-ebike-electric-bicycle-hub-motor-controller-with-right-output-30

docw009 said:
You really should use the finger to show a picture of YOUR motor cable, with its three bullet connectors and a three pin JST connector.

My guess is that the finger will be in constant use until at least after the next election. If the incumbents win, it could be several more years. Absent actual pictures, your analysis seems spot on.

Back