48v Battery with 60v e-motor.

Sopheus

1 mW
Hello there!

I have 48v40Ah battery and Votol EM50s controller. Recently I have got a new e-motor, but apparently it is labeled as 60v1500w. Would it still be possible to use with my 48v40Ah battery? If it is possible, what kind of downsides I may experience?

Thank you everyone for your kind answers in advance

Attachments

• sVyqn8YtVb.png
    sVyqn8YtVb.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 275
The top speed will be lower, and you won't get full power/torque at low speeds, or rather, you will hit the heat / current limits sooner.

john61ct said:
The top speed will be lower, and you won't get full power/torque at low speeds, or rather, you will hit the heat / current limits sooner.

Can you explain hitting the heat / current limits sooner ?? Please . I don't get it . I'm a noob .

Motors don't have a specific voltage; they have a specific RPM per volt. If your controller is happy with 48V, and your motor can accept all the current your controller can send it, then everything is fine.

Shortcircuit said:
john61ct said:
Can you explain hitting the heat / current limits sooner ?? Please . I don't get it . I'm a noob .
There are multiple bottlenecks to getting more power. The ultimate limiting factor is heat, which is also wasted power.

Power is Watts.

Watts are Voltage * Amps

Higher volts get you to a higher top speed - potentially.

But in this case, more importantly, they get you higher power (for torque at low speeds) at lower current rates (amps)

which means less heat, lower stress on components and less waste of energy.

Back