Confusing electrical issues on my e bike

Kevin255

1 µW
So I had some flaky throttle issues on my e bike a few weeks ago. Basically, the throttle was intermittent. Sometimes I would twist the throttle and the bike would go, and other times it would do absolutely nothing. Then it would come back alive 30 seconds later and start acting up again after a minute. Then the problem just suddenly went away and it was fine till today.

Today I figured out the reason for it though. I took the bike out for a night time ride and switched the headlights on, and the flaky throttle issue came back. As soon as I switched it off the bike went back to functioning as it should. I confirmed this several times. What can be causing this? I'm genuinely confused because I don't understand what a 20 watt headlight has to do with anything else.

Here's how it's set up. I have a 60v to 12v step down converter connected to my battery and the 12v output goes to the lights. Should there be any issue with this? Btw, built the bike myself, so I don't have any manufacturer I can reach out to and ask, or any support really.

What is using the DC-DC converter the Throttle or the Lights or both? I would've assumed the throttle connected directly to your E-bike controller.

It could be an issue with the controller or the throttle. I would disconnect the lights, DC-DC converter too if the throttle doesn't use it and see what happens.

I doubt it's your battery or motor at fault. You could try and swap out the components.

Are you running the headlight cable alongside the throttle cable? If so, physically separate them and see if the problem doesn't go away.

Back