Reducing battery voltage

MrSpeedy

1 µW
Hi-
This is my first post, I've read alot and there is miles of amazing information on here. So, I figured I'd ask my question in the best place.. On this site. So, I have a Cheetah ebike that I modded with a 35a controller and related screen, I have a second battery that I use when the first gets low. I've been reading about 52V batteries and was thinking I could wire mine together to get 52,but I'd actually have 96V at 17.5AH instead. Is there any kind of regulator I can use to adjust to the voltage to 52V and use the twinned batteries as a 96V power bank to always be at 52,I'd have the higher voltage and a little bit more range. Is this possible?

Batterys are 48V - 17.5ah

Don't wire them in series, wire them in parallel so they are always at 48v. (48v nominal)

You will need to make sure that they discharge at very similar levels or you could kill one of the packs early.

If you are not sure how to do this, keep them apart until you can verify that they discharge at similar levels.

:D :bolt:

I'm sure that there are other ways of achieving what you want, but most would probably be expensive & heavy.

Assuming that your batteries are 13S, 5P, I think the only realistic way of achieving what you want, is to add another, external Series of 5 cells in Parallel, but this is still not really very practical, as you would have to charge and monitor the extra Series independently and find a suitable way to mount and protect them.

Changing to 52v, you are realistically looking at gaining around 6 or 7% on top speed, so it's your choice as to whether or not it's worth the effort.

Thank you for the sound advice, I will just wire them parrallel. Sounds it may be more work than what its worth. Thank you again.

Back