Need Help! Enabling Regen Braking

pogihlang

10 mW
Guy. I need help if my controller has an ability to have regen braking. Currently it only cuts the motor power when the brake level was pulled.

Im not into regenerating electric power back to the battery. All I want is to have additional braking power/force in which regen braking can give.

I read some threads here that they were able to activate their regen braking by soldering some pads in the controller. I was wandering if my controller has it too.

This is my controller. There are pads named EBS and ABS. I'm not sure if that is related to regen braking.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_125722.jpg
    IMG_20210527_125722.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_20210527_130038.jpg
    IMG_20210527_130038.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_20210527_130106.jpg
    IMG_20210527_130106.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 761
  • IMG_20210527_130230.jpg
    IMG_20210527_130230.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_20210527_130205.jpg
    IMG_20210527_130205.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 760
Why don't you use better brakes? That would be simpler and cheaper.

j bjork said:
It looks like there is nothing connected on the board on the ABS and RET ?
I dont mean that there are no wires, I mean that it looks like the traces dosent lead anywhere.
But if they do, you could always try to connect one at a time to ground and see what happens..

I'm confused in which tabs should I wired to the ground. I read that someone connected the EBS to the ground and someone connected ABS to the ground in which my controller both have.

I made this thread hoping someone have the same controller that successfully achieved regen braking.

Why don't you answer my question?

If all you want is better braking, get better braking. Regen is a good way to ruin your bike, but not a good way to get better braking.

Chalo said:
Why don't you answer my question?

If all you want is better braking, get better braking. Regen is a good way to ruin your bike, but not a good way to get better braking.

In what way it will ruin my bike?

With strong regen the axel needs to be locked with good TA or clamping plates. If not it will rock back and forth and ruin your axel and or dropouts. I'm a regen fan but don't count on making to much electricity. It's more for saving your brakes, the charging is just a bonus.

ZeroEm said:
With strong regen the axel needs to be locked with good TA or clamping plates. If not it will rock back and forth and ruin your axel and or dropouts. I'm a regen fan but don't count on making to much electricity. It's more for saving your brakes, the charging is just a bonus.

I have this torque arm on both side bolted on the frame. Is this good enough?

Yes, I'm not into generating current back. I want to have additional braking power. I have electric kick scooter that has regen braking and it is good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_221347.jpg
    IMG_20210828_221347.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 381
Unless you have variable regen, you won't have better braking. If you have on/off regen, but have a way to set the level, then you can somewhat tailor it to your situation, but it's always a tradeoff. If you set it high, it will help slow the bike on dry pavement (pro), but will be more dangerous on wet or loose surfaces (con) for instance.

If you have on/off regen, then you need to have a way to set the level, or it's a crap shoot on whether it will help in your situation, and no way change it to fit your situation. In any case, if you want better braking, get better brakes , or put a 203mm disk in the back which is super cheap. Fixed regen, set relatively low, is safe in most cases, and will help with less wear and tear on your brake pads, but won't take the place of good brakes.

by pogihlang » Aug 28 2021 10:12am

How did you manage to have regen braking?

I planned on it, it was a feature I wanted. Purchased a CA3 with a controller it would plug into from Grin. Mine works off the motor cut out in the controller and I used the CA3 to manage the rest. I did not want to connect it to the brake levers. I put a starter button by my throttle to cut out the motor and engage regen and use the throttle to vary the braking. I played with the settings in the CA3 for the initial engagement to just slow it a bit for corners and bumps then for stopping use the throttle to increase the braking. It's a little slow letting off.

Here is out of my controller manual:
The Grinfineon controllers have regenerative braking capabilities, allowing you to
use the hub motor as a brake and return kinetic energy back into the battery
pack. This can be achieved either with the ebrake lever for a constant 50%
braking force, or with a 0.0 to 0.8V throttle signal for variable 0-100% braking.
In the first method, you connect an ebrake cutoff lever or other momentary switch
between pins 2 and 4 of the 4-pin ebrake plug (Pin 1 = 4.3V power is useful for
powering Hall Effect ebrake cutoffs). When the ebrake signal is pulled to ground,
then the controller switches to a baseline level of regenerative braking, putting
drag on the wheel and a small amount of current in the battery pack.
Figure 12: eBrake Connector. 5V+ for Hall Brakes
The intensity of this regenerative braking torque is fixed at about 50% of max
regen, and is not affected by applying the throttle

Proportional Regen via 0-0.8V Throttle Signal
The second method to engage regen is with a throttle signal that is less than 0.8
Volts. Normally a Hall Effect throttle will only swing from 0.9V to about 3.6V,
leaving the range of 0.0-0.9V unused. In the Grinfineon controllers, this unused
range is mapped to regenerative braking, with regen starting below 0.8V and
then increasing to a maximum as the throttle signal goes down to 0.0V. This can
be seen in the graph below showing the torque measured from a hub motor as
the throttle signal is swept from 0.0V to 4.0V.

Then adding in the CA3 to have better control.

With Grin and certain third party controllers, the throttle signal range from 0.0V to
0.8V is mapped to do proportional regenerative braking. This mapping allows the
CA3 to regulate motor braking behavior on the same throttle output signal. When
the propotional regen feature is enabled, the Brake Out voltage sets the baseline
braking force when levers are squeezed, and the throttle can further modulate
this to maximum braking (equivalent to an output of 0.0V)

If your controller supports it, not a big deal. I don't know how to add it to a controller. I leave more play in my disc brakes so they don't rub while riding. When I adjust them I put a piece of paper between the pads and rotor. Use them to complete a stop or hold the trike.

Regen Rules :wink:

I like the idea of regen connected to the ebrake lever, however as I stated above I don't know if my controller has this regen function if I connect the ebs or abs tabs to the ground. 😁

The controller of yours is amazing allowing you to have regen braking. From my experience from my electric kick scooter that has regen braking, I can slow down even if the brake pads was not yet touching the rotors. That is what I want to achieved to my bike.

Need to find if you have a motor cutout that would normally kick in Regen. The wire for the brakes lever. I'm looking for your controller but count on it. Need a reference or manual.

ZeroEm said:
Need to find if you have a motor cutout that would normally kick in Regen. The wire for the brakes lever. I'm looking for your controller but count on it. Need a reference or manual.

You mean the low brake wire? It has that.

Need your manual.

To engage my regen it uses the brake wire the cuts out the motor. If your controller has regen it kicks it in. I could just hook up my brake wire and my regen would kick in at 50%. That is all it takes for simple regen.

ZeroEm said:
Need your manual.

To engage my regen it uses the brake wire the cuts out the motor. If your controller has regen it kicks it in. I could just hook up my brake wire and my regen would kick in at 50%. That is all it takes for simple regen.

It doesn't do regen when I pulled brake lever it just cut off the motor. Yours has already regen waiting to be used. Mine doesn't have. I read threads that they where able to activate regen by connecting EBS pad to ground and other thread did was connect ABS pad to ground. Mine have both EBS and ABS pads that makes it confusing that is why made this thread hoping someone has the same controller as mine and able to achieve regen.

Back