Is there a list of controllers compatible with UART protocol displays?

Volvofan

100 mW
Hello, ES!

I am trying to upgrade the B&W LCD 800S display and Lishui 36V controller currently installed in my M2S All Go Carbon with 350W Bofeili mid-drive motor. I picked up the Bafang DPC-18 display, which communicates via the UART protocol. I hoped it might work with the Lishui controller, but I get a "communication error 30" when hooking it up. I think there are some ways to reprogram the Lishui by hooking it up to one's computer but I never got that far. So, now I'm on the hunt for a controller that might be compatible with both the display and the motor I already have.

I'm hoping to find a sinewave FOC controller rated to up to 1000W peak that accepts a manual thumb throttle input (and optionally offers PAS... I rarely use it) and that is capable of up to 48V nominal, as I might upgrade the battery pack in the future. Torque-based throttle and throttle mapping would be added bonuses, in case I ever go dual motor.

Am I barking up the wrong tree, here? Can the DPC-18 *ONLY* control Bafang motors? Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Jon

Volvofan said:
Hello, ES!

I am trying to upgrade the B&W LCD 800S display and Lishui 36V controller currently installed in my M2S All Go Carbon with 350W Bofeili mid-drive motor. I picked up the Bafang DPC-18 display, which communicates via the UART protocol. I hoped it might work with the Lishui controller, but I get a "communication error 30" when hooking it up. I think there are some ways to reprogram the Lishui by hooking it up to one's computer but I never got that far. So, now I'm on the hunt for a controller that might be compatible with both the display and the motor I already have.

I'm hoping to find a sinewave FOC controller rated to up to 1000W peak that accepts a manual thumb throttle input (and optionally offers PAS... I rarely use it) and that is capable of up to 48V nominal, as I might upgrade the battery pack in the future. Torque-based throttle and throttle mapping would be added bonuses, in case I ever go dual motor.

Am I barking up the wrong tree, here? Can the DPC-18 *ONLY* control Bafang motors? Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Jon

UART is not a protocol but a type of serial communication. The protocol used in most lishui controller is km5s which also used in some bafang systems though usually with an encrypted handshake. I don't think your dpc-18 will work with any oem lishui controller.
My advice: go to this aliexpress shop and get a controller + display. Plenty of good options, even torque sensors. Vendor got an ok good reputation for knowing what he sells and it usually works.

Thank you for the reply! That is a very useful clarification.

The DPC-18 supposedly works with many Bafang motors… BBS02, BBSHD, Ultra, etc. so, if those use the KM5S protocol as the Lishui does, then perhaps it is the handshake that is the issue.

Are you saying that Lishui controllers use an encrypted handshake with the display, or Bafang ones do?

Thanks,
-Jon

Best to buy the controller and matching display together as a kit from the same trusted vendor.

Do not buy just based on price.

Volvofan said:
Thank you for the reply! That is a very useful clarification.

The DPC-18 supposedly works with many Bafang motors… BBS02, BBSHD, Ultra, etc. so, if those use the KM5S protocol as the Lishui does, then perhaps it is the handshake that is the issue.

Are you saying that Lishui controllers use an encrypted handshake with the display, or Bafang ones do?

Thanks,
-Jon

If you want to dig into that, I suggest searching through stancecoke's posts - very informative. As john61ct put it: you will save you a lot of hassle by just buying the stuff together. Phoebeliu is an ok shop for aliexpress standarts - the seller usually knows his stuff.

Ok, so I had a look at the stuff on the Lishui OpenSource reprogramming... looks like there is potential to not only improve performance with some sort of FOC-like control, but also to change the display output protocol. That'll be my "plan A" as it involves utilizing the parts I already have.

If that doesn't do the trick, I guess I'll "abandon ship" on the DPC18 and go a different route... likely a Kunteng T09S or T12H paired to an LCD8S or LCD9 display. Hopefully I'm able to get it working out of the box, with minimal effort for the existing 36V, non-torque-sensing single mid-drive setup. If I ever get around to upgrading to a 48V and/or dual motor and/or torque-based throttle setup, I understand there are OpenSource options for KT controllers as well that will allow for such "feature growth."

-Jon

qwerkus said:
If you want to dig into that, I suggest searching through stancecoke's posts - very informative. As john61ct put it: you will save you a lot of hassle by just buying the stuff together. Phoebeliu is an ok shop for aliexpress standarts - the seller usually knows his stuff.

SOLVED.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=106862&p=1661131#top

I was able to flash my Lishui controller (after climbing a bit of a "learning curve") with Open Source firmware that enabled me to not only dispense with the pesky speed limit but also select the display protocol of my own choosing. It's working fantastically!

Thanks for the assistance... the clarification on different display protocols provided in this thread was my jumping-off point that led me to the answer with the open source FW.

-Jon

Back