350KG Trike w/MAC 12T - CA3 power limiting & Gear Ratio

nate_undo

1 µW
Greeting All,

We have modified a cargo trike for heavy use carrying a soundsystem (see pics). The total weight of the trike with payload including the rider is max 350kg. We do not need/want it to go fast (12mph on the flat is ample) and we live in a fairly hilly city. As you can see from the pics, we're using a mid mounted hub motor driving a chain-drive differential on the rear axel via a sprocket on the disc rotor side of the hub motor. It has 20" wheels. We are using a thumb throttle.

Motor: MAC 12T w/ NSK bearings and upgraded planetary gears
Controller: Infineon 18FET
Computer: Cycle Analyst 3

On the first iteration of the trike (pictured below) I used a 24T sprocket at the hub motor and a 26T at the rear axel. It seemed to perform well under load but testing it on a short hill (fully loaded) we sheared off the internal pin that secures the non-moving part of the motor to the axel rendering the motor useless. It has now been repaired but I want to ensure we don't do it again, or burn out the motor. I realise (with hindsight reading this forum too late in my project) that: it may not have been the best choice of motor, we are using it beyond its intended use and that the 18FET controller may offer too much power and that the gear ratio was way off what it should have been.

Clearly the first thing to do it change the motor-axel gear ratio to give greater mechanical advantage. Without modifications to the frame, I can do 18T to 36T (2:1) which would almost double the MA. With further modifications we could go to 52T on the axel. I realise we would run slower. The second thing to do is set the CA3 (which we didn't have in iteration 1) for thermal roll back, throttle input/output and power limiting in order to protect the motor. Thirdly, cooling may be an issue - we are not using statorade or similar but could do. We could also build some heat sinks.

Question 1: would a 2:1 ratio be enough or should I just bite the bullet modify the frame? (I realise the answer might be 'test it and see')

Question 2: Can anyone advise on appropriate throttle input/output settings and/or power limits on the CA3 for this usage?

Many thanks in advance!
I9g65GZc6GXYdiYz5kAsOQ9Ln5GnVBWd3lXwxOA9PaMZ9NruGMfSp19LGbK_KU4pMoB2JX84quf94WrklPXH_NOEMZbHO4wfN_AkoB7uVf-pgvSIPnmEu2NtXVOmmU4_grWvJjGvpg=w2400

17UGJc3GfX4vsH2J1aH_3MNcpLrc9jE2EUx04RYEuLXMJdQoM2-ymAfJI-soUPS8YVMmQAIt1wc4keBTpBRaTdYDL1rbDucjtVqvDZ-6j2mD9O1pBQb4qr0gRZioO44o18DzD3NV_w=w2400

Get a lot cheaper and proper motor like Bafang RMG06 48V750W FAT for your cargo and forget about MAC. MAC has no torque compared to Bafang RMG06 48V750W FAT and has a lot of mechanical issues. (My own experience).

Universalus said:
Get a lot cheaper and proper motor like Bafang RMG06 48V750W FAT for your cargo and forget about MAC. MAC has no torque compared to Bafang RMG06 48V750W FAT and has a lot of mechanical issues. (My own experience).

Actually both motors are very similar.

For your setup though, I'd definitely go with a 5-6KG DD hub and a 1:3 to 1:5 reduction. With the correct windind a FH or RH212 as mid drive will blow away any geared hub.

Finally, as of your setup question, the ca has a diagnostics (https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html) menu (#12) designed to help you set up your throttle pass thru correctly. You can read values live and adjust accrodingly.

Specifically my Bafang with following marks on the rotor BF RMG06 48V750W(7) has much wider magnets compared to MAC 12T.
And in reality, in terms of torque and power handling, they are day and night. Not mentioning MAC ridiculous stator attachment to the axle, it is a shame for the MAC.
I own both motors, Bafang is currently used with 72V batery (Lipo 20s) up to 3.5kW peaks with no problem.

Bafang:
IMG_1790.jpg

Mac:
IMG_2748.jpg

Back