Hub Motor Performance Difference On Different Sized Wheels

TheSiege

100 W
So, I have two 1000w geared hub motors, they seems to be identical with the one exception of one being on a 16in wheel and one on a 18in wheel. The 18in wheel seems to have lower torque and lower acceleration. Is this to be expected? I didnt count the teeth on the three planet gears, but I am pretty sure they are the same. Thoughts?

by TheSiege » Sep 09 2021 12:05am

So, I have two 1000w geared hub motors, they seems to be identical with the one exception of one being on a 16in wheel and one on a 18in wheel. The 18in wheel seems to have lower torque and lower acceleration. Is this to be expected? I didnt count the teeth on the three planet gears, but I am pretty sure they are the same. Thoughts?

That sounds right. Don't bother counting teeth. The 18" wheel should have a higher top end if you have the amps to pull it.

What are you using these for?

Its from a defunct company called Lyric. They made 3 wheel PVT/Scooters. I ended up modding one of mine to take EGO batteries. They are pretty robust and fun, although they have a speed governor that I cant seem to disable. But overall they are fun. They use an older Bafang 8fun BPM geared front hub motor.

TheSiege said:
Have you measured your top speed of both? I am interested if wheel size alone has impacted your top speed at all, even just slight differences.

Not yet, just compared speeds going up hill with my wife. Even being 70 pounds heavier the 16in still climbed the hill faster than her on the 18in. I am beginning to think the motor, although labeled as 1000w, is the typical 500w that they came with. My inline meter will be here this week so I can at least compare how much power they are each consuming

Yes, generally, dropping the diameter increases acceleration.

I had one motor a laced up into several diameter rims, it was pretty obvious. The slight speed gains of the larger wheel totally disappeared as soon as you went uphill, so if you're only ever on flat ground maybe larger diameter could work out. But for hills, smaller diameter rules, it's just like reducing the diameter of a bikes front chainring.

I went down the 16" path and never regretted it.
KIMG0054-640x360.JPG

Dammit, that bike makes me smile every time. So bonkers and yet so functional. There will be no passing a security checkpoint with that bike.

Back