Lawn mower brushless controller

Hi all noob here from uk. 1st post
Planning to use a brushless lawn mower motor and controller for a simple roller (friction) drive ebike. The motor is rated 550w and 36v.
The controller configeration looks like an rc esc ,2wires for battery input, 3wires for motor and 3 wires i assume going to some sort of on off switch or throttle. (I would think just an on off switch being from a lawn mower) I dont have any other parts from the lawn mower so i dont know how that on off switch harness is hooked up originally.

So my question is what do i connect to that switch / throttle control harness to get the motor to run ? 20210913_192341.jpg
If i connect a power source i get a reading between black wire and blue wire on the switch/throttle harness the same voltage as the supply which then gradually diminishes to zero over maybe 20 seconds. I also get that same reading over the blue wire and brown wire. I get a much lower voltage reading over the black wire and brown wire which also gradually diminishes to zero and is negative.

I found by accident if i momentarily short out black wire and blue wire a green light flashes inside the controller and these voltages stay constant while the green light flashes which then goes out after about 10 seconds and the voltages then start to diminish to zero again.

There is also a small socket with 4 pin connections near the switch harness which have small voltage readings ,(about 1volt when a14volt supply is applied). Maybe a sensor plug?

Ive tested the motor on a standard rc esc using a servo tester and it works fine.

I dont feel i can use a servo tester on that harness because the readings are not the same as a normal rc esc throttle harness and anyway the voltage would be too high.

I want to use this purely for uphill assist only and im thinking a fixed speed of 8mph from the motor which i engage when my pedal speed reaches 8mph so i dont even need a throttle . Motor roller would be clear of tyre when not switched on .

Hope someone can help . Thankyou.

Back