Motor controller specifications

Vaibhi

1 mW
Hello good people,
I am new to the ev space and I trying to get started with them by learning about e scooters. These days I am reading about motor controllers. I was reading about a Kelly Controller and under the specifications part, it mentions "Frequency of Operation: 16.6KHz" [Link: https://kellycontroller.com/wp-content/uploads/kvd/KellyKVDNUserManualV1.12.pdf] (Page 6/39).

Could someone tell me what is this parameter for? What is it controlling?

Thanks.
Greetings.
Vaibhi.

It's simulating the sine wave signal at 16khz.

The square wave in the image.

Attachments

• sine_wave.gif
    sine_wave.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 339
Controller is adjusting the controller output at 16kHz so there’s a measurement, calculation and update to the output every 62.5 microseconds

Higher switching frequency means higher switching losses but can at the same time give more efficient motor drive for some motors, especially low inductance motors require fast switching to keep current overshoot down.

It is a balance which frequency is the best, faster isn’t better and slower isn’t better, it’s unique to the motor/controller combination.

Comrade said:

Also: there are many ways to " skin a cat". I do believe.
1200px-Pwm.png1920px-Delta_PWM.svg.png

larsb said:
Controller is adjusting the controller output at 16kHz so there’s a measurement, calculation and update to the output every 62.5 microseconds

This is the PWM time period @ 16khz? Yes, thankyou.

Simplified, BLDC, example controller, hardware diagram.. ( Please: ignore the numbers, they are only for example of how the current moves). A good friend designed this example circuit for me.

LINK:
https://www.falstad.com/circuit/circuitjs.html?ctz=CQAgjAzCAMB00IQVhANlgFiYgnBaqGAHEkgOxEgBMG4V01lSApgLRhgBQAZiKzQ3qV2OKtWiUIYsLBRFoPPgPAZaI6apBTwskPM4B3PmFHhT68KgYKjFsFWEmxOVDEPHTVGh7FUkrhQA3PmJBfxD5EBcYGIwGFGsYWU4Acz4IVEo-V1YMrKJKa05g3OhaME1%20OJVaWhQwBBAEmLgILhL8WiElau668EbmiFgKsCRRVCQIJCIcMjwkttT0jLMxXNWvWiLbCFWndLK1t12jg9KuiRPD8vNOmuuLbPTM6nCbHyicvK-HsFdohZoh92K5nk93u52A5jtDKBVtlD7PDzMjxIUkVZYWiDgo0qCGOd-oJvEUSmjuqxCOiQP0GvEYkhYFRpjgiGQyKQ2VQ2ThFu1jDCEXxqcK6YMYlR4DgMBAcEgGiy8CYpvzMdRvKC3gF1WitcDdajXMS3LwqeVKv8HtoZHIFGbqZSrd0bbp9EYTYCrQaPVjwc7IUZiMdg8KPqHTMHuh8rQcI2I8ZZjs7SW5glGrhxfFdxQzCfAMGQTJyFSZJnMArAlun4Zosw9c01YiMCvNoPRC0RUHLoAkq1xfSTyn7A5ZCUKsT6x8msSb7eB7A8TcLXXbFPXuiaXdI3QoADbGMiue5wrRIXxJRDQHA3293%20989hMqgcKxH4iTBxgNwH0-TdaRPcCbwLgD5gTeliYGQCA8hkPKzO2GK-miGBWn%2057UJeoHgQ%20WgyJk-wQNBr6oUQqwggcRJHscFHUVRx5HBRxqmISLHuKxCZaIxUKAYxXGIrYKGxliqE6oOyZ0WxHqSdI1GidcYBycJDDyQoADGLyUICPzPMB34YJgqA8qoZRGSQxDfnACBcAAThEDDaa8wKXlQnB2awoTappXnWPArkAPa0t%201KCGU7IDE0MicWIqFaJwgUoCF4DTIpKD0JFzLgJhKAQPFWVJR24XpQqmUXt%20uVAA&fbclid=IwAR34s8lMMDHd5jpKUPf9r1uQszsqxWcmCUNDhbD7Z4B7Fb1WRGUErhOIQsc

Hello DogDipstick,
thanks for your help.
But i Have some more questions.

Other than Kelly controllers and golden motor controllers, I dont know any other motor controller manufacturers. Could you tell me about other controller manufacturers? Are there some European manufacturers as well?

Thanks again.
Vaibhi

Comrade said:

Clean and crisp.
Thanks for your help.

I have the same question for you, other than kelly and golden motor controllers, I dont know any other motor controller manufacturers. Could you suggest me some. Do you know some european manufacturers? I am asking in regards to e scooter controllers (with vespa body type).
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

St controller reference guide.PNG

Just adding to the previous question, I found the attached photo on the st controller reference guide document. I wanted to know in which block in the image does the control algorithms like sinusoidal trapezoidal and foc fall? If I understand it correctly, they fall in Control Logic right?
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

Back