hub motor axle nut size

m3vuv

100 W
Hi all,i have a 1kw direct drive hub motor,the axle is m16,anyone know the thread pitch of the nuts needed for it,i think m16x2mm but not 100% sure,its a generic chineese motor,also does anyone know where to buy the cables to renew mine as its chaffed due to a bad tourque reaction arm,its the one with 3 phase wires and 5 hall wires,teflon covered,ive looed on ebay but see nothing.cheers M3vuv.

m3vuv said:
Hi all,i have a 1kw direct drive hub motor,the axle is m16,anyone know the thread pitch of the nuts needed for it,i think m16x2mm but not 100% sure,its a generic chineese motor,also does anyone know where to buy the cables to renew mine as its chaffed due to a bad tourque reaction arm,its the one with 3 phase wires and 5 hall wires,teflon covered,ive looed on ebay but see nothing.cheers M3vuv.
I haven't seen a 1000W hub with that big of an axle before. Most are M14 x 1.5, same as an automotive lug nut. Are you sure it's M16?

Damn man, I learn something new, automotive lug nut. M14x1.5 is what my axle is, if the axle threads worked :lol:

E-HP said:
I haven't seen a 1000W hub with that big of an axle before. Most are M14 x 1.5, same as an automotive lug nut. Are you sure it's M16?

ebikes.ca sells motor cable by the meter.

hardware stores generally have a "sizer" you can take your nuts to to test thread them onto and find out which kind they are. if yours don't, take the motor with you and try the new nuts on the axle directly.

m3vuv said:
just measured it with a vernier,looks like m14x 2mm pitch,does that sound right,1.5mm is too fine.

If you can take an axle nut from you car temporarily, you'll know right away.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14145#p211032

I can confirm that this matches the KT/EVBIKE rear kits.

I ordered from here with next day delivery DPD:
https://www.alukola-obchod.cz/prislusenstvi/matice-na-kola/zavit-m14x1-5

To be fair these are not nuts that include locking spacers. So if you need those order as well.
DIN 7980 M14 should fit most bikes.

I really enjoyed this one as I have problems with recessed axle.
specialni-uzke-matice-na-alu-kola-m14x1-5-cerna-s-vnitrni-hvezdici-kuzel.jpg

It also nicely covers the excess of the axle from harm.

Remember that you dont want too big a nut in width, for hubs you need space on the axle for torque arms.
Hub axle lengths do vary.
I think its wise to replace the nuts every so often if you use the e-abs feature. Having damaged threads is not good. Damaged threads from the rocking back and forth of the axle flats. Throttle usage turns the axle one way, the brake feature rocks the axle the other direction. Over time can wear out even 1/4" steel flat stock when the ta slot is not precise, or a hose clamp comes loose. Frequent inspection a key. My newest creation ta needed a slot at 45* for the rear coming from a front hub. I did not leave enough meat around angle grinded ta slot, and it bent. Has happened before, this time wasnt much, I made it home, babying it. If you have a wide axle nut, and a short axle..... please be careful shortening the width of the nut so your ta can fit.

https://ebikes.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=nut

Nut0.5-20

Nut12mm125
Nut12mm150

Nut14mm150

Hub motor threads of the generic Chinese motors are usually M14x1.5 or M16x1.5.
Never seen M16x2 so far.

Back