shaft removal on a 9c stator

EZgo

1 W
Has any body ever removed ever removed the axel/shaft from the stator of a direct drive hub motor in order to swap it out whith another identical stator? Specificaly I have 2 2015 9c hub motors. An unused front 10x6 hub and a used rear 10x6 hub that has a bad stator. It looks straight forward enough as its a keyed axel with a retaining clip on either side of the stator but I susspect it's firmly glued in there with stud & bearing mount.

I'm currently running a newer 6x10 9c which I purchased through ebikekit.com but they no longer carry the 10x6 wind. It's fine for 98% of my riding but ocasionally I have to merge & or ride with traffic & I really miss the extra 10mph.

I would also consider purchasing a new rear direct drive hub laced to a 26" rim but can not find a good source. Lots of cheap direct drive kits but no wheels/motor only.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Axle removal/replacement has been done, though I don't know if for this specific reason there's nothing I can think of to prevent it, assuming all other properties of the two stators are the same where they meet the axle core.

I expect that it's more likely to be an interference fit than using any glue/etc. I've seen a couple of 9C or clones that the axle was welded to the stator, others were keyed/circlipped. I haven't tried to change the axle on one of those myself, so don't know if they were secured in any other way.

If they're interference fit, you can sometimes freeze the whole assembly, then use a torch or heatgun to rapidly heat the stator support and make it easier to get the axle in/out without a press. Otherwise you may require a press and a fixture to ensure the stator is only pushed on at the core where the axle goes in, just outside the axle itself, so the stator or it's support framework is not damaged.

FWIW, the few times I've looked for common motors like these, it's been cheaper to get the kit than just the motor, or the motor/wheel. Seems silly, but has been common. (often is cheaper because the kits can come with shipping included but the motors/wheels or bare motors never seem to).

Back