replacement mosfet suggestions

flez1966

100 W
yesterday i tried the 36 combination sheet as i had issue with the controller tripping out after 30mph or so. found 'best' combination still same.
decided to do it again to double check my work, got so far through the sheet and boom...
just went short on one phase.

so suggestions for replacement mosfets to run at 3kw@84v, i think the boom was the fact the pack is 84v and the original mosfets are only rated at 85v, and the general opinion on these 'skysilicon' is that they are of poor quality

316686035_10162223005855130_1196850290992585907_n.jpgs-l500.jpg

Well, if I had to go at it, start with some of the basics... 3kW @ 84V is about 36 amps. Looks like you have 3 mosfets in parallel for each side of each phase, so that is more like 12A each. They look to be the standard TO220 form factor. You always want to get the lowest resistance (Rds On) you can find/afford. Given minor differences in price, you might as well get some with a lot of headroom over the 84V/12A specs, so maybe something like 120V, 80A or more. We'll go on to assume you don't need anything exotic like isolated tabs or weird gate drive voltages. The last bit of advice would always be to go to a reputable seller and get a name brand. If you're buying from alibaba or ebay, the chips are most likely junk. Digikey is my go to. Mouser, etc are also good.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/transistors-fets-mosfets-single-with84Vs-and-lotsa-amps-and-low-resistance-and-cheap

Browsing the list, looks like IPP114N12N3GXKSA1 or STP110N10F7 might be candidates for further research and or decisions of what parameters you're willing to make trade-offs for.

You might check Methods' recent Daly BMS thread(s), as he has a good FET selection method there.

For gate drive, just make sure what kind of gate signal you have there, and use a FET that takes that kind of signal (since there are several common drive methods, and if it's not high enough voltage to fully turn on the FET, the FET will not really be a switch and will heat up too much...if it's not high enough gate current it won't turn the FET on fast enough and it'll also heat up too much).

Slightly off topic, but I have a couple of those Sabvoton clones, but I noticed yours has the programming port installed. Are you able to program the unit?
http://mqcontroller.com/show/?id=25

EDIT: Never mind. I saw your other post.

Back