Aaaaand, I blew up the controller.
Took me something like 3 hours of dicking around to find the right phase/hall combo, because the connector on my motor end of the halls apparently had gone intermittent on a pin somewhere.
First, I thought I could be clever, and use the lights on the ebike motor/controller tester unit (like the one Lyen sells) that Mdd0127 gave me, to figure out what the combo was without actually hooking up the motor/controller together and potentially blowing up FETs or something (I did that once with a bad combo, on an 18FET). Theoretically, it should have worked. Really, it probably did, but due to the intermittent connector problem at the motor end, I woudlnt' have known it--it would just end up as one of the "growly" bad combos.
So after wasting way more time than I should have allowed for that, I figured the theory was flawed and just tried the John in CR method, of trying the phases till I got a good combo (backward in this case), then I swapped two of them, and then searched for the right hall sequence, but I could never get the right one--they were *ALL* bad, which is impossible, because I got a good REVERSE.
So I went back to the reverse that worked, and now THAT didnt' work. I got hte tester out and everything worked on that...so halls were good and phases were good on both motor and controller.
I was about ready to give up, cuz I was really tired and I was also really hot, as I had not yet noticed that that evap cooler pictured above (which I was trying out) had run out of water, but had already succeeded in making it more than 50% humidity in the front half of the house, and was now just making the air warmer as the big motor runnign the squirrel cage fan added it's heat to the air, without any cooling going on. I can't even take off my shirt or I'll get eaten alive by the little mosquitos that seem to warp in from nowhere in the bajillions everytime a room gets darker than full sunlight (which in my house is all the time, as it's usually more like twilight in here at best, trying to save energy/money).
But I persevered, and just cut the connectors off both controller and motor, as I had no more JSTs to replace the motor connector with, and just started alligator-clipping them together in the combos. On the fourth one, I got it, finally. WHen I checked, it turned out to be the one that it SHOULD have been based on my ebike-tester experiment, although now I can't remember how I arrived at the experiment OR the results, of course.
Now, all excited, I looped all the wires on there (not tying anything down), soldered and taped the hall wire connections, moved the CA back to this bike off the FUsin test bike, and then took CrazyBike2 outside to test it on the road.
First thing that happened was....nothing. Huh? It had just worked...so I checked all the connectiosn, power cycled it, and it worked for an instant, then nothing. Great. Played with the throttle connector, because as I bumped that with my knee it seemed to work again. Nothing. Red herring. PUlled the controller out of the tool-box side (left black box) where I'd kinda just dropped it in there for the test, and realized it probably had clicked the little Hi-Low voltage pack button, putting it into 100V pack mode. My pack is only 58.3 max, so.... Clicked the switch, retried it, and whammo! Powah!
Ok, so now I FINALLY get it on the road, and start going....160A on the CA for realtime battery current as I took off....wow. Guess I shouldn't hard-throttle it on THIS controller like I usually do.
MUCH gentler on the throttle, I let it build up speed, till I hit 20MPH and coasted to a stop...because I forgot to hook up the ebrake, so no regen braking, and the disc brake still hasn't been fixed, so it does almost nothing, and the rim brakes aren't adjsuted tight enough cuz the rim is not true enough and they just rub, so they only help to slow and stop at low speeds, after regen has done most of the work, on the regualr 12FET. Good thing it was after midnight with no one on the road.
Turned around, and took off slower this time, but it was still pretty high--124A at startup! Didn't tail off much till I got past 12MPH, where it was still at 60A, but it sure did accelerate fast compared to normal. I hit the throttle hard, and saw 196A on there as the bike practically shot forward, feeling the G's for a second, and let it go, again coasting aroudn 17MPH down to my front yard...then I touched the throttle to push it up over the sloping curb and onto my front walkway, to the house, and halfway up that it died. No response.
I figured I must've hit the hi/lo voltage button with the bump getting over the sidewalk, but no, that wasnt' it. Noticed the phase wires at the motor side were actually kinda hot, not melty-hot but definitely not happy. They're not beefy or anything, just standard 9C 2807 phase wires, so I didn't expect them to take this abuse for long (which is why this was just a short 1/8 mile trip at most).
My first worry was that I'd melted the motor, but it wasnt' hot, not even as warm on the windings as it would be if I had a full commute to work. Lifted wheel off ground by tilting bike up on a cargo pod edge, and spun wheel by hand--could definitely feel resistance, though not "cogging". Unplugged phase wires from controller, and resistance went away, so the problem is in the controller.
I haven't opened it up yet; I just don't have time to fix it right now even if it's easy; I already wasted way way too much time tonight as it was. (and 20 minutes typing this all up, too, so I don't forget what happened/etc).
So, Methods, sorry it didnt' last very long....I didnt' even get a wheelie out of it.
I'll have to see what I blew up in it later, fix it, and maybe undo some of the shunt mod so it isn't at quite so much risk of frying next time.