capacitor identification help please

v_tach

100 W
I need to replace a very small cap that has come loose off a board. I'm not familiar with this small cap and am having trouble locating a replacement.

Its very similar to the cap on the far left of this pic and measures about 5mm x 5mm with radial leads...

Cap-elko-smd-polarity.jpg

Mine reads...

35E

Its 0.70uf (70,000 pf) SMD ? Did I figure that right?

Any help appreciated.

I believe the value is 0.7uF but it's (70) x (4 zeros) = 700,000pF
70,000pF is 0.07uF.

But, if it has radial leads, it's not SMD. I'm a bit confused here. :)

The "10" is probably the voltage rating, 10V.
If you can't find one at 10V, it's OK to go with 16V or even 25V as long as the cap still physically fits.

Yes, SMD, not radial leads. Sorry.

Is it possible that its a 10uF @ 35v? I found a bunch of 10uF 35v SMD caps about the same exact physical size. 0.07uF would be kinda oddball I think?

The 704 might be a manufacturer's product code?

Its from a 24v controller.

I think camlight is right. That is how I would read a cap that says 704.

If the board happens to have any other of the same cap, you can always pull one and throw it on a cap meter and see.

lol, I didnt even think about my meter. I was able to read the broken cap and it pulled about 9.9uF on the meter. Darn thing is tiny. I've just ordered some 10uF 35v replacements.

Thanks folks.

If you can read it on your meter, just solder to the area you touched your probes and solder it back on the board. :)

The pads are broken off. Only two tiny pin heads flush with the bottom of the cap exposed. Somebody else could probably get it to work but having a new part with the pads in place will be enough of a challange for me.

I'd guess it's 10uf, 35v.

In most applications of this type of capacitor, if you used one with a higher capacitance or higher voltage rating it would be fine.

I tried for several hours to identify the cap myself before resorting to posting for help here. I found a very wide variety of markings from manufacturer to manufacturer which made it very confusing for me. However liveforphysics suggestion of using a meter to read the value of the broke cap was genius even if it should have been obvious to me.

Thanks again folks.

Back