Help in infineon controller choice, i'm lost !

Hello,

i'm needing a controller for playing with a brushless 48V 6kW (peak) motor 8500rpm (12P14magnets)
I already found the posts about adding hall sensor... and now i'm looking for a suitable controller... infineon from ecrazyman seems to be the key but
boys going through 9C, 12, 18, millions of modding possibilities and subjects... at end i'm grateful for such knowledge sharing... and lost in my choice at the same time :cry:

I just need a "reliable not to much expensive" 48V 6kW or more (few seconds) controller

As i don't know other solution (Kelly is to big, to expensive), let's talk about ecrazyman ones
As in both case i will have to mod it for more current,
should i purchase the 72V1500W (to mod the LVC + MOSFETS+shunt+wiring beefing up) or the 48V 600W version(only MOSFETS+shunt+wiring beefing up) ?
I see on the ebay add they have the same case package dimension... an error ? or they are the same ?

thanks for your advise and maybe pointing to right discussion post (i read a lot of them but probably missed the graal)
have a nice day
Phil

You need a controller that can handle more than 125 amps. IMHO 18 fet is the way to go. The last time I checked Crazyman was still selling the slow start Infineons on Ebay, they have smaller traces than the newer instant start boards and can't easily be beefed up to the extent that you will require for 6KW.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer, for sure i was thinking 18 fet is best (more power is always best :lol:)
but this one is 100V which i don't need (only 48V)
48V 100-120A few seconds) would make me happy so my question is what best controller to mod (or does it exist) to have such power ?

What do you mean please by "slow start" ?

regards,
Phil

Are you planning to run one of the HXT 130KV motors from hobby city by chance?

If so, I recomend one of the programable 18fet infinion controllers sold by member "Methods" here. Its big enough to do the job. Mounting the halls correctly is not very easy. Be prepared for some headache.

(12P14magnets)

Whoah thats a beastly motor. Hub I am guessing.

The guys need more info on the motor as you can still get 6kw out of the motor if you overvolt it to say 60v and use a 100 amp controller.

Its allways good to have more current controller in the fet specs than the motor can handle and shunt it off somewhere so overvolting may be the better option depending on your class motor.

I don't think Methods is selling any more of those super-moded 18FET monsters, no? If you are going to build one yourself:

If you only want to run at 48V, then you should consider using IR3006 MOSFETs instead of IR4110's. They are rated for 60V instead of 100V, but have much less resistance (almost half). This would let you use an easier to find 12FET controller controller instead of a 18FET model, and it would probably be capable of about the same current output as an 18FET/IR4110 controller.

To resume, you would want to:
- Use some 14AWG or so wire to beef up the power traces on the board. Only solder spots where large currents enter and exit the + and - traces; This avoids board stress from the copper wire's contraction and pulling the PCB into an arc as it cools). These points will be at each MOSFET attaches to the power bus and also at the battery(+) and shunt(-).
- Install good FETs
- You might consider adding extra capacitors rated for the appropriate voltage (either 63V for IR3006 FETs, or 100V for IR4110 FETs).
- Add lots of solder to the shunt.
- Install large battery and motor wires
- Program your controller with some modest settings to start off. Remember that the current limit values selected in the program will give higher values because of the shunt solder mod. See one of Method's threads for some example screenshots of what to program.
-[This list might not be complete]

You could order a 12FET controller from ebay and mod it, but you might also try emailing Keywin himself (ecrazyman(at)gmail.com) and ask for an unassembled controller without FETs, and maybe even without wires if you want to put good ones on yourself (see hobbycity.com for really good silicone wires). I've bought some from him like this, but 5 at a time, so he might sell only one. Also ask for the appropriate voltage so he sends you the right resistors and capacitors.

You will need lots of time and patience too, specially when doing the first one!

Pat

317537 said:
(12P14magnets)

Whoah thats a beastly motor. Hub I am guessing.

Nope. Unless its got 20:1 gearing. It would cog too hard and spin way too fast.

My guess its the big HXT hobbycity motor.

They love 100v. They only list 48v maximum because people would cry about them not offering higher voltage controllers.

thanks guys,

yes its the 180kV turnigy, great to here it can take more though i need to stay as close to 48V nominal as possible.
About controller to mod, Is this one a 12 fet ?
if it is, it's not expensive so maybe it's simpler purchasing it than asking unpopulated one ?

thanks for all informative advises, i'm going to have big time with hall sensor also...

regards,
Philippe

Just spend the money and buy a kelly and be done with it.
instead of all the wasted time modifying, learning, pulling out fets, and messing around with the other controllers.
It's not that much more expensive. and they arn't that much bigger.

Hello

I ordered a 12 FET instant start new infineon from ecrazyman, will see...
Where can i find the software and interface for setting it please ?
I'm still looking for IR3006 mosfet, not easy to find :(

Phil

I have the software, and i'll email it to you if you pm me your email.

You'll need to install some extra windows files to get it working, but it's not too bad. Just google what ever file it says is missing, and register it.

If the bottom left hand part of the board reads EB812XC-A-8, you can use the software I sent you, and your controller uses an infinion chip. If it is different, you need newer programming software because you have the newer 116 chip.

vehiculeselectriques said:
I ordered a 12 FET instant start new infineon from ecrazyman, will see...
Where can i find the software and interface for setting it please ?
I'm still looking for IR3006 mosfet, not easy to find :(
Salut Phil, si t'es au Québec tu peut commander tes MOSFETs ici chez digikey.ca:
IRFB3006: 60V, 2mOhms, 190A
Et voici le logiciel pour un controlleur basé sur un microcontrolleur 116:
View attachment Parameter Designer For 116.zip
Pat

tostino said:
That is a reasonable price considering we need to buy more than 10 anyways. I like the look of those, and may use them in my next bike.
Probably a bit cheaper from digikey.com for the US crowd, no? They are 3.36$CAD at digikey.ca...

They are *the* FETs to use in <60V max controllers, 4110's heat up quite a bit more per amp.

Hello,

i'm not from canada though it's funny digikey.ca is cheaper :D
IRFB3006 should be a good candidate ! i will go on that.
thanks for all and software

Phil
other the pond :wink:

ZapPat said:
tostino said:
That is a reasonable price considering we need to buy more than 10 anyways. I like the look of those, and may use them in my next bike.
Probably a bit cheaper from digikey.com for the US crowd, no? They are 3.36$CAD at digikey.ca...

They are *the* FETs to use in <60V max controllers, 4110's heat up quite a bit more per amp.

I tried to find these on mouser.com, and it appears they don't stock IRFB mosfets. I tried finding something comparable and it appears these mosfets have the "3006" designation embedded in the name and seem to have fairly similar characteristics: can anyone comment on their appropriateness or comparability?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/FDI030N06/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMveMCOqFR6qCF7tXgnqbI1CVevYNGh%2ff74%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/FDP030N06/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMveMCOqFR6qCF7tXgnqbI1CeYmGaWOIBts%3d

They're Fairchild mosfets which seem to have high regard in the mosfet world.

swbluto said:
ZapPat said:
tostino said:

I tried to find these on mouser.com, and it appears they don't stock IRFB mosfets. I tried finding something comparable and it appears these mosfets have the "3006" designation embedded in the name and seem to have fairly similar characteristics: can anyone comment on their appropriateness or comparability?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/FDI030N06/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMveMCOqFR6qCF7tXgnqbI1CVevYNGh%2ff74%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/FDP030N06/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMveMCOqFR6qCF7tXgnqbI1CeYmGaWOIBts%3d

They're Fairchild mosfets which seem to have high regard in the mosfet world.
I didn't check the details, but the short spec list seems to indicate similar specs to the IR3006. You should have no problems with those. The second ones, the TO-220's would be better to use.

Hi guys,

I received it few days ago, it's a 116A chip.
The mosfet and motor hall sensors are ordered from digikey
I'm going to beef up the big current path with Ø2,5mm copper wire and play with programmation.

Phil

What did the 12 fet controller cost you delivered ?
And what is it's current rating as supplied ?
Kewin doesn't update his ebay listings so it's hard to keep track of what he's selling!

Back