Any throttles compatible with rapidfire or trigger shifters?

Kevinator

100 W
Are there any throttles that are compatible with rapidfire or trigger shifters?

To clarify, most throttles have LEDs or a power button/switch to the left of the throttle (larger diameter end with the electronics in it) which prevents you from using trigger shifters for your rear gears. The trigger levers will not clear that larger diameter area. Has anyone found a way to overcome this obstacle? Are there any throttles with a lower profile available?

I'm currently running a 7 sp freewheel with trigger shifter on the left handlebar. Its upside down, but still works very comfortably. I am upgrading to a Nexus 8 redband with roller brake, and Alfine trigger shifter. My initial test fit shows that my cyclone throttle is unfortunately 2mm too large in diameter to clear the thumb trigger. I suppose I could remove some plastic, but I'll need to take the throttle apart to see whats under that area.

When I upgraded to better bikes, I ran into the same problem. I have to set the half throttle far out on the bars so the shifter handles can clear the big barrel of the throttle, and on one bike, I shaved a corner off the trigger. It makes the short brake handle a bit hard to reach, but I'm strong enough to brake well with two fingers. I'm using throttles without led's so I only have to deal with the wire exit housing, and don't need to place it a certain way like with a thumb throttle. I run the wire exit underneath the shifter, and on mine it just clears the thumb button when I push it.

Another option, is to put the trottle on backwards, and roll it forward to go instead of rolling it back. Not elegant, but it works for amberwolf.

I'd like to see a throttle with a slimmer design though, someday. More and more, the trend is to put a motor on a better bike.

All 3 of my bikes have used various rappid fire shifters and convintional twist grip throttles. it works fine for me.

Don't use one with the LEDS. they're useless for Lithium anyways. I need to run a 1/2 space between the brake clamp and the throttle housing to clear the shifters. It doesn't realy affect the braking at all. it means the 4 finger grip a shimano uses feels a little like the shorty brake levers Cannondale, Trek, specalized, and other use, but I can still get 4 fingers on it, and the shifting still feels natural.

Since I use half grip throttles on 2 of my bikes, I cut a ring from the grip I had already cut down to fill the space between the throttle and brake. it makes it look more natural.

Thanks for the help guys, I test-fitted everything yesterday and unfortunately having my new Alfine triggers on the right side wouldn't fit right. Dogman's idea of shaving the triggers would of worked great too if I had gone that route...only would of needed to shave 2mm off the thumb lever.
IMGA0201.JPG

I ended up mounting the Alfine trigger on the left like the Alivio trigger its replacing. Still works comfortably, just can't see the shift gauge at all :D

On my recumbent I just ended up with my thumb throttle on the left upside down. It feels natural now. My mt. bike has trigger shifters so I ordered a half twist with that kit and it fits with the shifter fine. If your throttle is too wide you might consider one from ebikekit without the leds. Pretty cheap.

So I use the rapidfires with a thumb throttle w/LEDs. For the most part my rear cluster is useless. I can shift but it is awkward. I have little issues leaving the rear in a middle gear and just using the front three. It actually works pretty well like that. Only very occasionally do I need to go up or down in a rear gear. For awhile I was convinced I wanted some dual controls and ultimately if you want everything to stay "stock" and still have all your gears that is probably the best answer, but they were just to expensive for me to justify the cost.

I just locked the front chainring on the largest sprocket [with electric I never used the othe 2 anyway] with an old brake cable wedged in one of the cable guides & bought a left-hand half-twist throttle. 20.00 well spent.

FWIW if you're just going to lock the front derailer in one gear, you only have to take the cable out completely and use the limit adjust screws to hold it in place. At least, for all the low-end stuff I have. ;)

I've used the LED and plain throttles,by fitting the trigger shifters made by Microshift,they work great and don't interfere with the throttle, or accessory switches on the left side. I don't know if they are easily available in the US or Canada,I got mine from the Taiwan factory,about $8 a pair. :)

dogman said:
Another option, is to put the trottle on backwards, and roll it forward to go instead of rolling it back. Not elegant, but it works for amberwolf.
And as an update, it's still working well this way--better than it would if it were on normally, actually, since I still have an injured finger/hand and I can push forward on it with my palm instead of trying to grip it and pull it back with my fingers.

I am, however, considering moving the hall sensor over from this throttle to one of the ebrake levers instead, and then using that as my throttle. I may be testing this in the next few days if I feel well enough. Results will be in the DayGlo Avenger thread.

Here I am again 8 years later because I want my trigger shifters to work like normal damnit lol :D

This was the solution back then, which was to use the rear shifters on the left side, and lose the front shifter altogether:
trigger shifters.jpg

Anyone have an updated solution so that we can run our trigger shifters on their proper sides with the throttle on the right? Even the integrated dual controls, the triggers wouldn't clear any of the throttles I have. I tried shaving down the triggers, but ran into other issues.

Thought this one might work but upon closer inspection, even the gap left by the display doesn't appear to be enough clearance to fully cycle the trigger shifters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-48V-LC...m=162971727744&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On my Fatbike, I have fitted a Wuxing half bar twist throttle on the right, then the Tektro hydraulic brake lever assembly is fitted tight next to this, then I have pushed the Shimano Rapid fire shifters as far left as possible, and trimmed a few mm's off the longer lever for extra clearance and it all fits together perfectly.
To change down a gear, you reach through the gap between the Tektro brake assembly and the handlebar with one or two fingers.. No problem. To change up, you reach under the handlebar and use your thumb in the normal way.
The front derailleur Rapid shifter remains on the left side as normal.
IMG_20170225_142517_858.jpg

That is essentially what I did as well. Though my throttle does not have a key and that may give me a bit more clearance. I have relatively small hands, and I do have to rotate/reach a bit when up-shifting, but that's all second nature and not a problem at this point.

I've slid the shifter to the left so that the long up-shift lever just barely misses the throttle body when it pivots.

Shifter_20180817_141405955_cr.jpg

Back