New Infineon Controllers Ebike.ca RE: Auto Cruise

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
bionx 1954   100 W

100 W

New Infineon Controllers Ebike.ca RE: Auto Cruise

Post by bionx 1954 » Aug 21 2010 8:42pm

Hi I just got my replacement Infineon 40 A controller , There was a recall on them. I installed it and found that sometimes the throttle stayed ON even though I released it. I almost had a accident, this would only happen sometimes. I was reading the info page at Ebike.ca and it seems that since July 1 some controllers now have a auto cruise as default. If the throttle is held for 7 or more seconds at the same position you DO NOT need to hold it any more it automatically send the signal. It can be turned off by touching the throttle or by pressing the Ebrake levers if enabled.

Well I do not have Ebrake levers and was startled when I released the throttle and the power was still on to the motor. Luckly I have a power cut off switch . It was pretty scary.

I emailed Ebike.ca about this and am waiting for more info, If this feature is now default there should be some WARNING included in the controller packaging
Last edited by bionx 1954 on Aug 22 2010 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Harris   10 GW

10 GW

Re: New Infineon Controllers Ebike.ca

Post by Jeremy Harris » Aug 22 2010 3:33am

It can easily be programmed out in a couple of minutes, using the Parameter Designer. This sounds as if it was a simple glitch in the controller programming (easily done).

IIRC, you don't need the ebrake connected to kill the autocruise, just moving the throttle should kill it, at least until you hold it steady again for longer than the programmed time (which can also be set in Parameter Designer).

BTW, all of the Infineon/XieChang controllers seem to have this feature, even the oldest one I have has it. By default its not normally set to on, though, which seems to be the issue here.

Jeremy
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.

bionx 1954   100 W

100 W

Post by bionx 1954 » Aug 22 2010 9:02am

Hi THanks Neil

Demosthenes   100 W

100 W

Post by Demosthenes » Aug 22 2010 1:56pm

You can also disable it by opening it up and desoldering the jumper between the pad CR and ground.

AmpEater   10 W

10 W

Post by AmpEater » Aug 22 2010 3:46pm

I can remember riding through some guys lawn at full speed looking for somewhere soft to crash the first time I discovered that feature. But now that I expect it I think it's great.

Ebikes.ca definitely needs to update their website with info about the cruise, and start putting a warning sticker on the controller itself, methinks.

bionx 1954   100 W

100 W

Re: New Infineon Controllers Ebike.ca AUTO CRUISE FEATURE

Post by bionx 1954 » Aug 22 2010 5:34pm

Yes I am sure that once you get use to it that it is a nice feature, As i said I emailed Ebike.ca yesterday and should hear back soon. YES there should be some warning that this feature is NOW default Neil

deswong   10 mW

10 mW

Re: New Infineon Controllers Ebike.ca RE: Auto Cruise

Post by deswong » Aug 22 2010 6:58pm

July 1st Note, Auto-Cruise Feature: Our current supply of 25A controllers now has an auto-cruise capability enabled by default. If you hold the throttle steady at any particular position for a full 7-8 seconds, then you can release the throttle and the controller will maintain the same power. This can be useful for relieving thumb or wrist strain on long ebike trips. However, it can also be disconcerting if you are not aware of it and expect the power to turn off when you let go of the throttle. You can snap out of the cruise mode by either touching the throttle on again or squeezing the ebrake levers if you have those connected. The feature can be disabled by desoldering the jumper to the 'CR' pad on the controller circuitboard.
This is on their page in regards to their controllers. http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_controllers.php

greglocke   1 mW

1 mW

Post by greglocke » Aug 23 2010 4:07am

Hiya.. I have a 6 month old 25A infineon controller that came without this feature enabled. Can I thus enable this feature on my unit?

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Aug 23 2010 4:24am

greglocke wrote:Hiya.. I have a 6 month old 25A infineon controller that came without this feature enabled. Can I thus enable this feature on my unit?
Open it up, look for the little pad labled "CR" on the board. Solder a little jumper from it to ground. Or if you want to be able to selectively turn it on/off, solder a little wire from a ground pad and the CR pad, and run them outside the case and connect them to a switch somewhere.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

greglocke   1 mW

1 mW

Post by greglocke » Aug 23 2010 4:47am

cool.... sounds great. This ebike world just gets better and better!