New SLA's what range increase can be expected after cycling

Geebee

1 kW
New SLA's what range increase can be expected after cycling a few times?
The first proper ride with the new batts was great as I had a lot more acceleration (for a 500w moped :) ) but they died before I got home, the old 12 ah ones used to do the same run no probs when they were younger.

Geebee said:
New SLA's what range increase can be expected after cycling a few times?
The first proper ride with the new batts was great as I had a lot more acceleration (for a 500w moped:) ) but they died before I got home, the old 12 ah ones used to do the same run no probs when they were younger.

From what I remember of my SLA, it's not an instant on/off state. They just gradually get better over time, some say 10 cycles, others say 20. I guess it just depends on how "new" they are. They will get better as even new ones start out at about 90% capacity, at least when I was testing mine (they were 12V @ 12AH AGM SLA) that's what I remembered.

Are they the same brand as the old ones? Sometimes new sla's have to be trickle charged for a long time after cycling because they were sitting around on the shelves not fully charged. If you have a small amp meter, Hook it up to the batterys when charging. You'll see whats happening when the charger switches to trickle. The guage should read below 500ma. I take mine down between 100-300 ma on a 1 hour trickle charge after cycling. I believe failure to do this is what causes peoples sla's to loose capacity too quickly. Then they say sla's are no good. The other day, I trickled charged for 4 hours. Batteries were loosing a little more voltage then normal when sitting. Not anymore. Anyway, Good Luck. :)

They are a different brand.
I was thinking about it whilst riding and I think there is more than one factor at work beside the battery cycling.

1: The new batteries are noticably more powerful than the originals so I accelerate harder.
2: I dismantled and checked the motor before fitting the new batterries and found it to be as new still, so I am using the bypass switch a LOT more and it allows upto 10 amps more through.
3: I have gained about 7kg's due to my inability to exercise in any way for a long time.

The batteries thus far behave more like NiCd batteries in that they maintain full power until they suddenly drop big time, not what SLA's usually do as my experience is that they taper downward from the start.

I will cycle them a few more times with a 7Ah pack in parallel to extend the range and then try them again on there own.

FWIW, the fellow who owns an auto battery store here said that lead acid batteries are at their peak after 12 charge/discharge cycles. He said people who race electric vehicles told him this.

Back