My 406 Hubmotor is spinning backwards...

jdbauman

1 W
Okay this is weird. I finally got everything hooked up, but when I turn the throttle, the rear wheel is spinning backwards. Not so sure I want to ride backwards at 30MPH... HELP!

Everything is standard... Crystalyte (36-72V 35Amp) Controller and a 406 Crystalyte Hubmotor. Half twist throttle.

I'm stumped!

Thanks!

Jer :cry:

Or it could be caused by one of those pesky, highly-localized temporal anomalies.

Note to self: cut down on the Star Trek TNG reruns.

Does the motor have the "rotation" arrow on it? Is it rotating against the arrow? Is it a pedal first controller or instant start? Pedal first controllers spin the motor in the opposite direction of the instant start.

If you have the option to be able to change the motor wires, then swap any two of the three wires going to the motor. So if it's yellow=yellow, green=green, red=red, then make it yellow=red, green=green, red=yellow. But this only works if you can change the wires around.. on some they are all in a plug, in which case it's more work.

If you have plugs instead of discrete wires going from the controller to the motor, then I'd remove the wheel and flip it 180 degrees... it's less work.

Here's the deal:

1. It does not have a key switch on it.
2. It is an instant start controller. (but it is spinning the wheel in the reverse direction of the arrow)
3. It's a rear wheel, so I cannot flip it 180 degrees. (as that puts my gears on the wrong side - am I missing something here - this one has my brain all twisted up!!)

Does this mean my only option is to switch the wires?

Jer

jdbauman said:
Here's the deal:

1. It does not have a key switch on it.
2. It is an instant start controller. (but it is spinning the wheel in the reverse direction of the arrow)
3. It's a rear wheel, so I cannot flip it 180 degrees. (as that puts my gears on the wrong side - am I missing something here - this one has my brain all twisted up!!)

Does this mean my only option is to switch the wires?

Jer

Switching the wires will fix the problem, it's a shame it didn't come wired "correct" to begin with.

ekib:

http://ekib.xntrick.co.uk/

greenekib.jpg

I'd hate to see the photo after he backs over a curb.

If the conectors are Andersons, simply cut the shrink wrap back enough to slide the blocks apart, swap the blue and yellow, keep green on green.

Naturally, you want to test the motor with the wheel off the ground after this, do you have a power-meter handy ? the motor should draw aprox 1 amp at no-load..

It would probably be easier to take apart the controller and jumper the reverse pins. It's possible there's a wire connected to the reverse pins that's shorted. In that case, clear the short. The commutator chip could be defective also.

If you swap the phase wires, I think you'd need to also swap the corresponding hall signal wires to reverse the motor.

Attachments

• Brushless Controller Connections.jpg
    Brushless Controller Connections.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,592
fechter said:
If you swap the phase wires, I think you'd need to also swap the corresponding hall signal wires to reverse the motor.

Yeah, I didn't even think about that. The pedal start controllers don't use the hall sensors, so it's an easy swap for them, but you are right; the instant start is a little more complex :x

is yours the 20 amp controler? if so it can also be reversed using a jumper. it is just in a different position than the 40amp controler. if you need this info tell me and i'll take one apart to show you where to solder it up.

For 20A versions, these are the positions for the "reverse" link.

(Your 35A version would be different from the 20A versions.)

Attachments

• DSCN7805 copy.jpg
    DSCN7805 copy.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,037
Okay I'm an idiot.....,

The controller is working fine now... What happened is the wires were not in the correct order coming off the motor. I didn't know they were wrong since the colors of the wires were not visible due to the shielding material. I just assumed that the colors would be in the same order on both the motor and controller connection. Once I peeled back the shielding a bit, I could see that the colors were not matched up. Once I switched the colors into the correct order, then everything started working great... Thanks for all your help...

I feel pretty stupid (it's my first build), but Thanks again for all your willingness to help out!!

Jer

Back