Effect on changing my controller

Hi.
looking for some tech advice on the pros and cons of upgrading my controller.
My current setup, Oatley/United motor, 250 watt, 24 volt, and 15 amp controller.
I was looking at the performance charts on the motor, and noticed that its capable of 400 watt max output at about 24 amps. This about 9 amps above the rating of my current controller. (Confirmed by Watts Up, at about 15.1 max amps).
So my question is, from a practical, real world perspective, is what difference would I notice if I were to upgrade my controller to a 30 amp one?
Rob

Max output might not be sustainable without overheating. You might consider cooling the motor if you like the higher speed*.

*meant higher torque. :oops:

:D

With a higher current limit, you will get much faster acceleration and less slowdown on hills. Your top speed on flat ground will be close to the same.

The amount of 'EV grin' increases porportional to current :D

By carefully restraining the throttle, you can get the same range, but in practice this is very difficult. Expect the range to drop.

Add one more 12v bat, then if the controller fries, well you were going to buy a replacement anyway...

Ok, I like the more fun part! So better acceleration, and better holding power on hills?I like that!
Motor can handle 30 amps no probs! Can also handle 36 volts.
Last time I added a 3rd battery, the controller wouldn't/couldn't control the motor speed properly. Rode it hard up a long hill, and heating was no problem. I just didn't like the extra weight on my rear carrier, and I don't have a 36 volt charger ATM.
Might try the 30 amp controller, sorta committed to sticking to 24 volt, especially in SLA's. If/when Igo to different batt tech, then may consider 36 volt then.
Rob

You could get a separate 12v charger for the extra battery so you can still use the 24v charger. As long as one of the chargers has an isolated output, you can leave the batteries all connected while charging.

Of course, that won't help with the weight. Putting the extra battery further forward on the bike will help.

You should be able to find a controller that can work on either 24v or 36v.

Got a 30 amp controller coming.
Still don't want to go to 3 x 18 Ahr batts. Might consider 3 x 12 Ahr, should be about the same weight as 2 x 18 Ahr batts.
Will see how the extra amps work in practise. Could do with the extra torque, although the extra speed from36 volts would also be good!
I already have two small(500mA) chargers that I scavenged from car jump starter packs, but they charge way too slow!
Rob

Back