Pictures of a new geared hub motor in the pipeline.

Ooooo...disc brakes :)

Who?

Where?

How much?

And, HOW WIDE IS IT???
Can you fit large clusters (8 or 9) next to it?

Looks to be 6" in dia. if the disc brake is any indicator.
Looks strangely familiar, is it a Puma type motor?
We want more info, like size, power and price, please.

recumbent said:
Looks to be 6" in dia. if the disc brake is any indicator.
Looks strangely familiar, is it a Puma type motor?
We want more info, like size, power and price, please.

could b an 203mm disc....

but i can't judge..

either way 5.7kg, not bad.

looks very similar to the pumas.

might be good for the front wheel of my bike hehe

2kg heavier than a Puma, doesn't look THAT much like one ....

Jozzer said:
2kg heavier than a Puma, doesn't look THAT much like one ....

Sorry i meant the insides...

2kg ..mmm what does the puma weigh? including rim and brakes?

does look like the new puma to me?
gears look identical, by the way to all those who are having trouble getting hold of a puma and want one i spoke with Mark today on the phone and he is getting the new type motors that knoxie tested and controllers to go with around christmas time.
he hasn't had enough motors to meet demand up till now but new stock is arriving at teamhybrid very soon.

cheers

D

deecanio said:
does look like the new puma to me?
gears look identical, by the way to all those who are having trouble getting hold of a puma and want one i spoke with Mark today on the phone and he is getting the new type motors that knoxie tested and controllers to go with around christmas time.
he hasn't had enough motors to meet demand up till now but new stock is arriving at teamhybrid very soon.

cheers

D

I tried sending a message to Mark via his website asking if he ships to the US but didn't get a reply. I guess the send a message link is no good, couldn't wait so I ended up buying another 406. But I'm interested on getting a newer Puma with disc brakes put on a 2nd bike by the end of the year(at the earliest). Can you pm me his email address? Thanks

Great! More choices available for us, seems to be a heavy duty (by one kg) version of the Puma motor :) Where do we sign-up for one?

Unfortunately I don't have much more info on this motor besides a couple of vidoes of it spinning on a bench. No load speed is roughly 1km/h per volt with a 26" tire. The best part is that this motor will be available, and stocked in Canada.

Does a Puma hub really weigh ~3.7kg complete with brake, rim, tire etc?

afaik it is the motor / hub only that weights that - not the rim etc.

Idd, 3.7kg bare. Seems its not heavier after all.

Can't wait for the X5 version of the Puma, thought this might have been it!

Looks very interesting! Could be a good candidate for ther lightweight e-bike project!
Rob

Hi

Right this is for sure from the BMC factory, the stator and rotor are the same as the Old School stamped BMC motors, there isnt nothing new there, I cant speak for the windings but the actual motor itself is from the BMC factory and not the Puma factory, its a little confusing however it isnt the same as Marks Puma motors, it also has the thin inner ring gear, this is ok at 37V but can cause wear when used at 48V and up, the BMX (New Puma) full keyed inner gear is much easier on the nylon gears and the Nylon gears are stronger in the new Puma.

Knoxie

knoxie said:
Hi

Right this is for sure from the BMC factory, the stator and rotor are the same as the Old School stamped BMC motors, there isnt nothing new there, I cant speak for the windings but the actual motor itself is from the BMC factory and not the Puma factory, its a little confusing however it isnt the same as Marks Puma motors, it also has the thin inner ring gear, this is ok at 37V but can cause wear when used at 48V and up, the BMX (New Puma) full keyed inner gear is much easier on the nylon gears and the Nylon gears are stronger in the new Puma.

Knoxie

Thanks for the comments, Knoxie. I just want to see more good products on the shelves. What's the status of the New Puma? Can they be bought in North America?

knoxie said:
Hi... it also has the thin inner ring gear, this is ok at 37V but can cause wear when used at 48V and up, the BMX (New Puma) full keyed inner gear is much easier on the nylon gears and the Nylon gears are stronger in the new Puma. Knoxie

Thin ring gear? what, the cross section, thickness?
The gear contact area appears full against the nylon gear set, judging from the grease rubbings & size. Granted, pictures can be deceiving, & I cannot see the small drive gear.
If Nylon gears are stronger in another model, In what way? Perhaps its the metal plates riveted to the sides.
Maybe we can request a stronger gear set, if that's indeed an area of concern.
Wish we had access to all the warranty claims, then we can choose with confidence.

Hi

Well Mark is getting them in for Xmas I am not sure about anywhere else at the moment. The small drive gear is on the other side of the rotor, its pressed in to the rotor casing, this gear is steel, the nylon ones are OK for normal use but can suffer if you up the power too much. The newer gears are stronger and the inner gear isn't pressed in to the side of the motor casing, rather it is keyed in to the shaft of the motor, this seems to help with the meshing of the gears.

The Nylon gears can be replaced for steel ones, this would of course make the wheel a lot more noisy but would make the wheel virtually bullet proof if you wish to run high power with good reliability.

Cheers

Knoxie

Very Nice a la Borat..

the geared hub; isn't that the most efficient way to use the most out your pack? of course besides the tire ratio and aerodynamics etc.

efreak

knoxie said:
The newer gears are stronger and the inner gear isn't pressed in to the side of the motor casing, rather it is keyed in to the shaft of the motor,

I've seen other geared hub motors with one steel gear and two nylon gears on the same cluster. Is this what you mean by stronger?
The pressed-on gear, or "interference fit" is a secure science with years of proven reliability, just look at ring gears pressed onto flywheels of cars for starter engagement.
Not challenging you, just trying to understand and hope this is an affordable alternative for us. The light weight and smaller size are nice features also.

Looks like we're going to have more choices after Christmas, woo hoo!

knoxie
how do you think the freewheel and gears will stand up to 500watt windings?
Seems the 350watt version and 500watt are identical in structure apart from windings.
If the motor was designed for 350watt continuous, 500watt will be running it a bit over specs, I guess no way to find out except for long term use.
Have there been any probs with freewheels or gears thus far with the 500watters? I know that stephen in victoria australia experience with puma in kmx karts was feewheel failure in two motors, but he did bash the hell out of them, doing burnouts and sideways skids but seems they do have some limits.
Seems the sideways force of his riding had somehow caused the freewheel failures.
You have any concerns about the freewheels? by the way how the hell do you take the freewheel apart without breaking the side plates. It could prove problematic to fix the freewheel if its difficult to remove. I've got one here I tried to remove freewheel without success, did manage to crack one side plate with all the bashing I was doing.
Seems there has been an ebike retailer selling the bmc motor for some time in australia, I think he might have stopped selling now, but someone sent me a motor repair they had bought in australia which was same as your new version internally. I was very surprised to see someone had bought in australia, I think the retailer had no idea what motor he was selling somehow.

I've had no failures so far im my KMX, and I've been running at 40A 66v. Sideways torque on the KMX in the back wheen must be very high, far more that you would ever see in a normal bike..
Time will tell on how long the gears will last, but so far after lots of abuse I've not seen any problems on 3 puma's.

On another note, I just spoke to Mark at team hybrid, and he has a new batch of controllers to test. It looks like i'll get one, Paul the other to test on the latest batch of motors. If all goes well, Mark will bulk order, and have Puma's and controllers in stock by christmas.

The controllers apparently are 40A@36v, and automatically limit to 20A at 72v...sounds interesting, and I'll report back next week when I get one here and test it. THere is also a 25A version that I am lucky enough to test as well.

I suppose Justin will be selling his BMC's with the new modified crystalyte controllers, whaich hopefully will also be OK. (I'll be testing one of these too on a customers 48v puma setup...his old x'lyte expired at just 48vwith the puma motor:()

Back