2 place velomobile

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
jmygann   100 kW

100 kW

Re: 2 place velomobile

Post by jmygann » Mar 27 2012 10:42pm

i think you are doing great .... one of only 2 sociable tadpole trikes I know of
48 V Semi-recumbent

jmygann   100 kW

100 kW

Post by jmygann » Mar 31 2012 2:17am

48 V Semi-recumbent

1JohnFoster   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1JohnFoster » Jun 08 2012 2:42am

It's out of the workshop! :D

And into the parkade. I just have to put the wheels & suspension back on now. Had a scare for a while as the gunnels wouldn't fit through an outer door, but I found an angle where I could squeeze it through. Planning to get it down to VEVA's Electrafest EV show downtown Vancouver this Saturday.

1JohnFoster   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1JohnFoster » Jun 25 2012 10:57pm

Fauchet & Fountain small.jpg
Fauchet & Fountain small.jpg (208.29 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Fauchet & Fountain small.jpg
Fauchet & Fountain small.jpg (208.29 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Did make it out to the REV!, er, Electrafest show! Also down to the mini Maker Faire at the Vancouver PNE. I drove it 10km round trip, no big problems.

First bump I hit, heard a crack, and the steering went wonky. Oh dear! Too far from home to return! The wooden brace on the inside of the car that holds the top of the strut cracked off from the plywood. No biggie, I thought that might happen. Found a plastic shelf in a dumpster near by and wedged it back into place.

One of the highlights of the Maker Faire, at least for my friends, was my parked velocar suddenly peeling out and tearing across the room all by itself. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. It stopped when it rammed a table, a bit of a crack, no biggie. Guess I probably forgot to turn off the breaker off when I parked it, and maybe someone was wondering what that little lever on the steering wheel was.

The highlight for me was driving with a friend + a borrowed child in the rumble seat for a drive around the Maker Fair yard. It made it up a reasonably steep ramp, and around in a few circles no problem. So it seems to have enough power & strength for the design payload of two small adults & a child. The body flexes just a bit, but doesn't affect the "handling". Lots of people climbing in & out didn't break the floor. Kids climbing all over it didn't break the door nor the rumble seat. I took lots of pictures with other people's cameras but forgot to take any for myself. Lots of positive feedback on the appearance & concept. Odd though, I think people got as much of a kick out of the antique horn as much all my work on the rest of the design! Other strange thing was that everyone who read my bogus history about it being an actual historic vehicle believed it, so I had to take down that sign.

I don't notice much of a problem with bump steer, but the shocks aren't really operating - one has seals gone, so I put tubing on both shocks + just a bit of foam to take the edge off the hits. The rear suspension works fine, and it is pretty stable side-side. Not noisy at all, I was worried that being monocoque the body would be booming out road noise. The open body probably helps a lot, as does foam & fabric seat covers. Plenty of power.

It has a name now, it's a '12 (1912? 2012?) "Fauchet" Velocar. (Get it? Faux - Mochet / Foster - Mochet :) And it's own email address. No website yet.

-John

1JohnFoster   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1JohnFoster » Sep 28 2012 2:23pm

It does 60kph. I find 60kph a thrill with my arm hanging out over a 3/4" gunnel. If the suspension failed I don't think I would have time to react. If I'm fast enough I can duck my head under the dash, to try to prevent a rash, but there's a 70lb lump of lead down there that could squish me if we rolls.

It handles nicely, both slowly and at speed. Very long turning radius though. Not as bad as a car, but takes getting used to when if you are thinking bicycle mode. Also it doesn't fit easily into car nor bicycle road placement. I almost always take the lane (city driving), but am a little lower than a bike, and I don't have the option of fitting between two lanes if a car wanders into my lane. I feel curiously more vulnerable in the Fauchet than I do on a bicycle.

Jymgann, maybe I can design my rain protection into something that transforms into a vertical axis wind machine :)

I did hope to put together a set of plans at some time, inspired by Atomic Zombie's beautiful works, and the original Fantom plans.
This is all I have up now: http://fauchet.tripod.com/home.html If anyone wants it, I can send photos of parts with the dim's on them (I don't have any cad), you can roll your own plans, offer for sale, improve it or whatever.

[img]
Fauchet with 3 teens.jpg
Fauchet with 3 teens.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
[/img]
Three teenagers climbed in at the mini-maker faire. Apparently they are mini-makers, and intend to build something similar, hope to see them next year!

John

The fingers   100 GW

100 GW

Post by The fingers » Sep 28 2012 3:38pm

Was thinking of something a little lower for two with bobsled style seatIng and pod/slipper style body. Any velo is real cool. I really like the swept back paint job.8)
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

1JohnFoster   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1JohnFoster » Sep 29 2012 11:33pm

a little lower for two with bobsled style seatIng and pod/slipper style body.
Sounds like fun. I made a hovercraft with bobsled style seating, it was a nice feeling with that special somebody behind. Would be hard to figure out how to get the second person pedaling.
"Pod/slipper" style body sounds cool, but I have no idea what you mean.

The fingers   100 GW

100 GW

Post by The fingers » Sep 30 2012 11:36pm

Like the bobsled ride at Disneyland. :D
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

VeloV   10 mW

10 mW

Post by VeloV » Oct 01 2012 2:21am

Nice tadpole John!

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Jun 02 2013 5:00pm

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke