Crystalyte Disk Brake

Starting with a marker ( red sharpie in this case ) i marked an X on both disks so that when i check them to one another for size i always use the same combination of holes...

Then i marked what had to be filed out to fit the adapter..

Attachments

• brake3.JPG
    brake3.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 4,898
Got to work with the file..

I tried a variety of dremel bits, but the steel used on these disks is quite hard.. the best solution was a round file ( Used to sharpen Chainsaw tips !! ) .. i have a bunch of them from all sizes.. started with the smaller one and worked my way up until i made the marker marks.. disapear.

Keep lubricating the file with WD-40 or cutting oil if you have some handy.

Then i had to file down the inside of the disk ( red marks ) with a flat file so that it would fit on the adapter but inside the threads.. otherwise it would not spin onto the motor cover far enough..

Also had to trip the aluminum adapter ( yellow marks ) as it has a lip that prevents the disk from seating flush on the adapter.

Attachments

• brake6.JPG
    brake6.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 4,880
Ypedal said:
This motor was on my Norco for a while.. but is getting a 4" wide rim with a big fat tire on the chopper !

I'll be curious about that rim and tire combination. I'm running 24" rims and 3" tires and figure that if I could switch to wider rims that the tire would work better. My current rims are designed for a 1.75 tire. (too narrow)

Is that a 24" rim? 20"?

omg Ypedal... you used a FILE to do that? Dude, that disk is high grade stainless steel for crying out loud. :eek: Amazing!

Thanks for the very detailed explanation. That may work for me but with the 11'' motorcycle disk only, we’ll see. For other folks though THAT is a great solution. Too bad that the threaded adapter is not standard for the mounting holes.

Nice to see the Stingray again!! :D

Yep.. that sucker was a job to file out.. but thick gloves.. and a few beers it got done ! 8)

In this picture you can see the clearance with the shim in place.. about half inch. I see no reason why yours would not fit the same way.. Is you caliper unusually large between the hub and disk ?

The chopper will take time to finish, all funds are currently tied up in my inventory " hopefully on it's way soon !! " .. once i sell a few bits i'll be finishing up the chop !... can't wait.. will be a fun ride !

Attachments

• x5disk.JPG
    x5disk.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 4,841
dscf0864smluh9.jpg

dscf0863smlzo5.jpg

As you can see, my setup is different from anybody’s. I had to use these flat bars on each sides to hold the hub because the axle was too short for the swing arm.

So the bolts heads seen on the second picture reduce the clearance even more. My disk will have to be closer to the hub, there for a bigger disk is necessary to allow the caliper to go outside the hub, giving it more room.

I’m still surprised that one half of your caliper would fit there with only 5/8''. Your caliper must be different than mine. I measured ¾'' total distance for half my caliper.

I only have 1/2" of space on the left side. I don't see how disk calipers could fit in there.

You look to be in the same boat with your x5, Raton.

My dropouts are spaced 135mm; there was just enough room on the right for a 3 speed freewheel.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3,366
Yup, 11'' rotor it's gonna be, but that is not all...

the disk being larger than a standard 8'', we will have to make a bracket from the 2 holes on the swing arm, to the caliper.

weeewoohooo

:roll:

ypedal,
that stingray looks awesome - loving the chrome :)
will you have it on the road by the summer? will be a very cool ride!!

Short axles suck... I ordered every single motor ( both 4 and 5 series ) with 9 inch = 230mm long... plenty of axle to mount disk brakes.. and torque arms on both sides with inches to spare.. even with a 7 speed on there !! :shock:

I just hope and pray Kenny got it right.. time will tell. :lol:

For a large diameter disk brake to work, you have to pick your frame carefully.. some swingarms have the tubes tapered in towards the pivot point.. i got lucky with the 05 Chaos as the tubes are litterally paralell with the tire leaving plenty of room.

The chopper will get done this summer.. for sure.. it drives me nuts to walk past it every day ( In my kitchen mind you ! lol ) it's begging to be finished !...

Me Needs mo money !!!......

anyone know where i can find a disc brake caliper with a thin backing.. i gota post pics to show my issue wiht my bike...

steveo

hi stevo - best to stick to the mechanical disk brakes.

because of the issues i had with stretching dropouts etc. i opted for a frame with a rear rim brake. :(

if i get a front hub motor though, this will cause a lot more problems.

Best bet would be to drop into a bike shop and check the calipers available..

You can add shims to the back of the thread-on adapter to push the disk further away from the hub to an extent, ( same spacers used on the freewheel side ) but then you need forks wide enough to allow the hub to shift to the right of the bike.

Heres a picture of a Hayes So1e hydraulic disc brake. It has just the one caliper on the outside. The inside has a disk pad and adjustment screw.
Its the thinnest one I could find.

hayes-sole.jpg

At 1 inch or 25mm it wont fit in your space.

734zupf.jpg

Greg

Hey guys...

these pics are from another post i have .. but this post seems more appropiate ..

diy drop outs.. that are ok for now .. i need something more stronger

6xgs0oz.jpg

sproket side
7y67hwx.jpg

DIsc brake .. can anyone suggest help with this ..

6siohdv.jpg

734zupf.jpg

y pedel .. i don't have a sproket on right now while im trying to figure this out .. but i've had a 6 gear sproket on before ..

will do when i get home 2nite :)

as promised..

Sprocket side of 5304 hub motor ...

82dhh84.jpg

i'm also putting better pivot point bearings in the frame :D

8ejqbeh.jpg

-steveo

Back