geared hub motor - no cruise, but regen?

Desertprep

1 kW
I am looking at this motor:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9090977636

Good chance to use your Chinese :lol:

The shopkeeper says that it can be used with regen braking but not cruise control. I thought that geared motors usually had the opposite circumstance - could be used with cruise control but not regen braking. I am pretty sure that my last ebike had a geared motor and had cruise. Is he correct? or maybe he is only familiar with the controllers that he sells?

Typo?
Also says that it's oil immersed... wonder how that works? must have great axle seals...

Weird motor. Why bother with random Chinese stuff when we have... well established and tested chinese stuff? :)

Well, cruise control (maintaining the same speed without you havng to hold the throttle) is not a function of the motor, but rather the controller, so I am guessing you actually mean coasting rather than cruising.

Typically gearmotors have a freewheel built in, so coasting is possible but regen is not, but whenever they do not have a freewheel (like some of the Fusin versions, for instance) then the opposite is true: regen can now work, but coasting is difficult.

As for that motor itself, I don't know anything about it. The Fusin motors I'd say I would trust, if you can get hold of them to buy one. http://fusinmotors.com IIRC.

neptronix said:
Weird motor. Why bother with random Chinese stuff when we have... well established and tested chinese stuff? :)

I live here in China and it is often difficult to find the "well established and tested Chinese stuff" here. Someone suggested going to fusin motors, for example, and I find the site blocked. The company that makes this motor is very famous for motors and electric devices, though they do not sell products under their own brand.

I am looking for a 500 watt, 48 v hub motor that is the same shape as this one - not the wide pancake motors - and hoping it will weigh in around 7 pounds. I want to put it on the front of an e-scooter that I am buying so that I can putz around while I get a motor installed in the rear - like a Turnigy 80-100B. Once the turnigy is in place, I may leave the front motor in place as an emergency back-up and possibly to be used as a brake....maybe even 2 wheel drive in an e-scooter?

Typically a gearmotor cannot regen. But they can have the freewheel removed or locked, so they become a dd motor with gears.

my two watts worth:

Then in most cases one must answer the question, "Do I gain more with coasting/freewheeling or with regen braking?"

Yes both would be nice, but..... remote freewheel lockout?

So someone with more physics background could maybe help here?

Luke?

d

Back