sensorless controller on a hall effect motor

tifalou

100 mW
Hello,
I am a user of the Goldenmotor kit. I was happy with it, until the hall effect sensors blew up. I had them changed by Golden, but they blew up again.
I tried to change them by myself but didn't succeed.
So I was fed up with sensors and ordered a sensorless controller at ebikes.ca. Now I have mounted it on my bike, and it works. But I am really disappointed, because it is not even half as powerful at is used to be, although it has the same power supply (36V - 20A).
It hardly reaches 15 mph on the flat, and can not climb a 4-5 % hill without pedaling.
Do you have an explanation, and further, a solution ? Thank you.

The golden motor controllers are not consistent, but they peak at around 36v 40amp (1440) watts peak * whatever efficiency of the motor, The crystalyte controller is 20 amp so it is reasonable that you would get half the power. It may help if you use 48v instead of 36 volts. Your speed and power will increase.

Yes Ypedal, both controllers are 20A.
The motor runs very smoothly. At the beginning, it didn't work, because the phase wiring is different. I tried some combinations and then it worked... but not like I expected.

The golden motor controllers "claim" to be 20 amp, or maybe yours is, I have measured mine on a "watts up" and it peaks at 40 amps. Maybe ours are different. But 48v should help!

Oh no, so you think I can't expect more with this controller ? :cry:
If the only solution is to get another more powerful sensorless one, does anybody know where ? Thank you.

I would guess the current limit is lower in the sensorless controller.

You might need to modify it to do more.

I'm very interested in sensorless controllers. Do you need to pedal first to get it started?

To Johnbear : I am using a 36V 15Ah liion battery.
To Fechter : yes it is a pedal-first one. I think you are right when you say that the sensorless controller has a lower current limit. I would be very interested in trying to modify it, but I am not a good technician at all. Should you guide me, I would be glad to tell you about the results.
Thanks to you two.

I saw that Berson's sells a Wilderness 35A sensorless controller. Unfortunately there is no picture. Do you know it ? Can it work ?

tifalou said:
To Johnbear : I am using a 36V 15Ah liion battery.
To Fechter : yes it is a pedal-first one. I think you are right when you say that the sensorless controller has a lower current limit. I would be very interested in trying to modify it, but I am not a good technician at all. Should you guide me, I would be glad to tell you about the results.
Thanks to you two.

Modifying the controller is amazingly easy, all you need is a soldering iron and some very basic soldering skill. All you have to do is add a little more solder between two wires inside the controller.

But before you begine, you'll need a Watts Up meter, or some other way to measure Amps,

No idea about the Wilderness 35A sensorless controller ?
Assuming I correctly connect the phase wires, is it supposed to work ?
Maybe better than the Crystalyte 20A ?

Back