Magura brake pressure switch

Nice find.

If I understand correctly, this inserts between the hose and the actual handle bar unit, becoming a part of the hose? Pls report your experience if you get a pair. (I'm looking for something that might fit Hayes Nine brakes.)

incememed said:
Nice find.

If I understand correctly, this inserts between the hose and the actual handle bar unit, becoming a part of the hose? Pls report your experience if you get a pair. (I'm looking for something that might fit Hayes Nine brakes.)

Yep you need to cut your hydaulic hose with a sharp knife. Insert the pressure switches and wire them up, bleed the system. They work very well.
Very pleased with them.
P8120678.jpg

If you want a cheaper but less-tidy solution use a reed switch. I used one of those little glass ones. I had to cut off a bit of the grip to make a recess for it. Then I mounted a disc magnet on a piece of expanded polystyrene zip-tied to the handlebar. Works perfectly for about $1. I'm sure anybody else could do it a bit more neatly.
SANY0083.jpg

Riche said:

Yep you need to cut your hydaulic hose with a sharp knife. Insert the pressure switches and wire them up, bleed the system. They work very well.
Very pleased with them.
Hi,

while riding down back to my place today i was thinking to ask on the forum if anyone knew how to install a switch on hydraulic brake.

Well, no need to ask anymore. :D

Questions:
- on the ebike.easy.com web site i can see some kind of jack as a connector. I need to hook it up to my infineon controller with a 3 pin connector. How many wires you have ion there ? 3 i suppose ? grnd, signal and 5 V ?
- you have mounted 1 on the front brake and one at the back ? I was thinking to install one only on my rear brake, to cut off cruise control and kick in regen. Crazy idea to go just with one ?
- do you have the size of the hydraulic tube that is compatible with this device ?

thanks a lot

Hugues
Switzerland

Hi,
My brakes are the Shimano BL-M 486 Disc brake system. They are probably use a standard size pipe?

Once you cut off the connector you see 2 wires, when you pull the brake lever the wires are shorted together or they connect.

I know nothing about regen so cant help you there.

I fitted 2 switches to my bike for safety reasons .. at traffic lights etc I found myself using the throttle while applying my brakes and the bike would sometime jump and scare the ^&^%*%^* out of me.

Good luck with your bike
Rich

@Hugues: There are two kinds of switches used on ebike ebrake levers:

--a 3-pin hall-effect switch (digital output, not analog, usually, unlike the throttle, but more like the motor halls).

--a 2-pin normally-closed switch, which is held open by the spring in the brake lever keeping the lever pushed against it. Sometimes it's the opposite; a normally-open held closed until you brake, but the ohter way seems more common).

Some controllers have both kinds of input available, though they might not both have connectors on the outside. If you are willing and capable, you could open up the controller and check for the other type (the two pin) and add a connector for it, if it doens't have one already.

Otherwise you may need to use a pullup or pulldown resistor on the switch used (whether in the brake line as a pressure switch or somewhere else), and run all three wires from that brake input on the controller up to your switch.

Riche said:
Hi guys,
I need to add some brake cut out switches to my shimano hydraulic brake.
Mooching round then net I cam across this ..
http://www.ebike-easy.com/products/Bicycle-Parts/BionX-Press-Switch-for-Magura-brakes.html

Has anyone used these cut out switches before and would it be compatable with a BMSBattery controller and Shimano brake system?

What do you think

Thanks
Riche

I came across two item that are similar Magura, but it is the entirely hydraulic brake set that had built-in pressure sensor and turn into digital reed signal. This parts is so new that you can't google it. And I only see this use in high-end bike, like here:

http://focus.bikeshops.de/Focus_Jarifa_Cross_39986.html

Ken
View attachment 1

Riche said:
Hi,
My brakes are the Shimano BL-M 486 Disc brake system. They are probably use a standard size pipe?

Once you cut off the connector you see 2 wires, when you pull the brake lever the wires are shorted together or they connect.

I know nothing about regen so cant help you there.

I fitted 2 switches to my bike for safety reasons .. at traffic lights etc I found myself using the throttle while applying my brakes and the bike would sometime jump and scare the ^&^%*%^* out of me.

Good luck with your bike
Rich
Hi,

I installed the Magura switch last night, works nicely.

Just one problem: I'm trying to fill up the brake oil as much as i can but the brake lever still travels too much before braking. I've been careful not to have any air remaining in the circuit. I left it over night thinking that some tiny bubbles might make their way up. Tested it again this morning, managed to add a little bit more of oil, but it is still traveling much. I just installed new brake pads last night. Is there a trick here to fill up properly the brake line ?

thanks

Hugues
Switzerland

I found the easiest way to bleed/re-fill a brake system is to inject the oil from the caliper end using a big syringe filled with oil, this way all the air get forced upto the top as the oil get injected. What you could try is to pump the brake lever 3 or 4 times then on the last pump hold it in then undo the bleed nipple at the caliper this will hopefully force any air out of the system keep the lever held in until you re-tighten the bleed nipple then release the lever and top up the master cylinder with oil you may have to repeat a couple of times. Hope this helps. Out of interest how much were the inline swithches ?.

Edit:
:oops: I just looked at the web site again and now have seen the price :?

gwhy! said:
... you may have to repeat a couple of times. Hope this helps. Out of interest how much were the inline swithches ?.

Edit:
:oops: I just looked at the web site again and now have seen the price :?

thanks a lot, i willtry your method

i know they are not cheap (i bought only one for the rear brake) but it's very confortable to use regen this way. YOu basically just forget about activating it. And it serves as well as a safety off switch if you need to brake in a hurry, and also deactivate cruise control, and for this, i must say an ebrake switch is a must.

I gotta get one of these ASAP. Looks like the non Epoxy solution for hydro and I'm getting interested in tweaking regen and cruise in the Lyen 9FET. Thanks again folks for finding and reporting the cool and unusual...

lostrack said:
How does one go wiring these in, electrically?

they are just a mechanical pressure switch with 2 wires. when you press the lever the hydraulic pressure in the line closes the switch shorting the wires together.

on some controllers the brake connector is only 2 wires. this is easy just connect the 2 wires from the Magura switch (need to cut off the Bionx connector) to the 2 wires of the controller and you are done.

for the controllers set up for Hall type brakes there are 3 wires. +5V, Ground and Signal. look up the documentation for the controller and identify which are the Ground and Signal wires. you only need to connect to those 2.

for more explanation about how to wire switches to brakes check out:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11760

rick

Hi friends there is a brake switch that can be mounted on the hydraulic system shimano?Do you have a solution to propose?

Magura do a switch that you T into your brake lines. It's relatively expensive and you have to use the correct oil in your system.
http://brainwork.at/media/pics/brk-hyd_01.jpg

Tektro do a complete hydraulik brake kit (lever, caliper & disk) with a switch in the lever for about $60.

Other than that, you have to make your own. If you search for "hydraulic brake" you'll find how other people did it. There's lots of different Shimano levers. If you showed which one you have, it would be easier to advise. Here's how I did my Shimano XT (previous version to present) with a small self-made bracket that screws onto the back cover and uses a switch out of a cheapo Chinese ebrake lever.

brakeswitchtop.jpg

Hi d8veh
this is my Shimano brake pump
r1c5e9.jpg

I tried to search for "ydraulic brake" but I have not found much.
The solution magura i do not like , would rather change my Shimano with tektro.
You know how are Tektro? Are equal to Shimano?

There is anyone who has modified my brakes shimano in any way?

Hi guys,
tektro and my shimano have the same quality?
I think my shimano are the entry level ... tektro will be the same?
Anyone use them?
Give me a store where to buy them?
On the net I can not find anyone who has them available ..

d8veh said:
Tektro do a complete hydraulik brake kit (lever, caliper & disk) with a switch in the lever for about $60.
Where??

here
http://ebikessf.com/tektro-ecomp
http://cyclepath.ca/shop/product_info.php/tektro-auriga-esub-hydraulic-disc-brake-with-lever-disc-caliper-hose-and-sensor-control-for-electric-bike-p-15581

I got mine from ebay, but I don't think thatthe guy liststhemanymore.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150740784320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

There's also this one:
http://www.hygia.com.tw/liveshop/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=12&product_id=151

HI d8veh
thank you so much!

You know the difference between Auriga ecomp and Auriga esub?

Hi guys, Tektro don't reply me...
where I to buy this brake system in Usa?

jonny said:
where I to buy this brake system in Usa?
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=656833#p656833

Back