Question on battery and charger

Hugues

1 kW
Hi guys,

I'm told I should not leave my charger plugged in too long after charging, and I also read that it's better to store LiPo's not fully charged.

As my charging time is about 2-3 hours I need to find a way then to charge my batteries at night but finish it just before leaving to work .

I thought of using a simple wall timer to start charging a few hours before I leave. This way my charger does not stay plugged in too long and my batteries are not stored fully charged for too long.

Question :
Is it ok to leave the battery pack and the charger connected together all night but the charger not plugged in to the wall ?

I guess it's ok but I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Hugues
Switzerland

Never charge Lipo while sleeping, even with a timer! Doing that is an accident waiting to happen!

fractal said:
Never charge Lipo while sleeping, even with a timer! Doing that is an accident waiting to happen!

Thanks for the advice, i appreciate.

My bike sleeps in the garage, which is basically a concrete box underground away from my house and any other building. The garage is mostly empty, no cars. It's equipped with intrusion and smoke detection, hooked up to the house alarm system. So if these batteries are bound to explode or catch fire, i think the garage in the middle of the night is the best place and time i can find, then i'm sure no one is around when it happens, and if smoke comes, that'll wake me up.

but thanks for the advice,

my question remains open.

Read your charger docs. Mine say never to connect the batteries to the charge before the charger has powered up. I did it once by accident and got a good size spark. No damage as I quickly disconnected them. But the sparks makes it pretty obvious that the charger will draw current from the battery pack. So if left connected, it will at a minimum kill your pack, and at worse, explode sooner or later.

Charge your batteries. Finish, go to bed. Stop worrying about cycle life being affected by storing your batteries a few hours fully charged. Your real world use is what it is.

You want to plug in a charger, ignore it till morning, you need lifepo4 and a bms.

Back