18fet Lyen problem

Beavinator

1 kW
I recently took my Tidalforce bike with a 72V Headway pack, a HS-3540 motor and an 18fet Lyen controller for its first ride. It topped out at 75km/h and was pretty fun. It could use a little more power I thought so I tried to re-program it. First I used the Lyen software and I put something like 57A battery and 155A phase. I took the bike for a ride and it totally sucked! It had no power. Coming up my hill I had to walk beside the bike. I gave the XPD software a try next. I entered the same settings and the bike did the exact same thing. I read that the 3 speed switch needs to be in position 2 to program so I even tried that. Nothing seems to work! I am really wishing that I never messed with this bloody thing!!! If anyone has any idea what could be wrong please let me know. I have tried everything and it is telling me that the programming was successful but the bike has no power! On my cycle analyst its telling me 51A max which isnt very good. Why wont it let the controller put out any power???

Spacey said:
Make sure battery not connected to controller when programming....

??? I never unplug my controller.

Some of Lyens controllers have different shunts, and actual current is half of the programmed setting. Mine came actually just the opposite due to extra shunts, and actual was double the programmed amount. Afterward I modded my shunt for to get stronger regen and actual is now 3X the programmed settings.

Before you start getting bent out of shape, the controller boards are manufactured for specific shunts, so when different shunts are used the programmed result will be different from actual. The ratio will remain constant, so save actual in the file name.

Like Spacey said, start low to make sure the program changes are taking. Then increase it systematically till you get what you want.

Also, do you get 2 different results with and without the CA? The CA could be limiting the current. I never plug a CA in until I get the bike running how I want, including stress tests up hills to understand the motor's heating. Once I'm dialed in, then I introduce the CA and calibrate it, just to be sure it doesn't limit current or speed and give invalid results.

Also, the 3 speed default is number 2, so if you don't have a 3 speed switch installed, set #2 to 100% or 110%. Some guys go as high as 120%, but that seems to cause advance timing and creates more heat. You might as well set all 3 to the same just to be sure.

I did that test with 10% and the 3 speed switch is working fine but the bike still has nowhere close to the power it had yesterday. The bike has barely enough power to pull me along. I can't understand what could be wrong.

As John said have you made sure your CA is not limiting amps? Go into advanced settings, and check that the MaxAmps setting isn't cutting you off (as John says, try it without the CA even plugged in).

Have you calibrated your CA to your Lyen 18 Fet? This is done by going into the Rshunt value and setting it to whatever an 18Fet is, I don't know what it is, but for example a 12 Fet is 2.6 I think, and a 24 Fet is 1, so fnd out off Lyen what the shunt value for the 18 Fet is and set it.

But again, as John says, best to test it with no CA plugged in, so that no limiting can be going on.

Yeah I did it without the Cycle analyst even plugged in. I just soldered the shunts and the bike is still slow as hell. I think maybe its the motor. I just think it doesnt have enough power to pull me up the hills. I am 225 lbs and my bike probably weighs 95 lbs with the battery. I guess I need to get my 5304 going again.

That's strange that it still did it even with the CA unplugged.

My HS3540 would give a higher speed for a set current than my 5304 would.

Is it possible that I may have the wrong wire combination on my controller to motor connections?? The thing is smooth it just has no torque on the hills. When I spin it with no load it goes 95km/h.

No, if you had the wrong wire combos it just wouldn't work, it would judder or just not turn. If it runs smoothly, then your wire combos are right. IF it is a lyen, and you are using a HS35, then wire combo is the same as your 5304, ie, green matching on the phase and yellow matching on the halls, other wires swapped.

I really thought it was a CA issue from what you were saying (eg limiting or the shunt value wrong), but if you have tried it with no CA then I am stumped. Are your connections all good?

On XPD, were you choosing the "Lyen" option when picking an 18Fet, there is two options, 18Fet and Lyen18Fet.

From what you are saying it sounds like the problem is in the programming side, so somehow the values are going in wrong, ie, you might need to set the values higher than you intend. Have you compared the programmed battery amps with what you are seeing on the CA as battery amps?

I thought you said it was running better before your program change, so how can it be wiring? You ruled out the CA, so check speed limit number 2 next, which is what you're running, since that's the default. Did you save the settings on your computer. If not, then start doing it. Use meaning file names, so you delete bad ones and save good ones. I have 3, one for max fun, one for range and hills, and a lowest one for wet slippery conditions.

Your right, it cant be the wiring because it did run way better before programming. I really cant understand why I cant get that power back!

without stating the obvious, have you tried changing throttle/speed level to 121% on all three? That is what I would do to test it.

When I put it to 121% the freewheel speed goes over 100km/h so it does something. I must need to keep playing with the settings on the controller. I wonder if I might have gone too high on the settings?? Tomorrow I will start out at 40A battery and 100A phase and go up slowly from there. Should I use 2.4 as my multiplier for battery current to get my phase current?

Did you accidentally select "12fet default" or "6fet default" as your base programming template? Be sure you use the "18fet default" as the starting point for your programming. If you do not, it will affect how the battery amp setting is interpreted.

Back