push button throttle

I am new to this forum. I couldn't find an answer to my question...so here goes

I am running a 48 volt, 2807 9C and 25 am infineon controller. I have my controller limited to 15 amps.

I also new to electronics.

Is it possible to replace my twist throttle to an on/off push (non locking) button?

Thanks,

You might try a thumb throttle if your wrist is bothering you because of the twist throttle.
A push button just gives you on/off. A thumb throttle can be regulated.

Dustin?

magura is the only company i've heard that maeks good twist throttles, everything else i've tried was terrible, thumb throttle offers a lot higher resolution than twist.

I converted my full twist throttle to a thumb or full twist by adding a simple tab. Explained here:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11505&p=225319&hilit=twist+thumb&sid=902f6cb8a5e17b4819c79a9a17b67922#p225319

The tab can be on either end of the throttle, depending on your handlebar orientation.

I have a tab throttle as well.

I only ever use full throttle so I would prefer to simplify as much as possible. I want to try it and see if it would work for my needs.

I am setting up the bike up for touring and distances so several positions is important so my hands don't go to sleep. So several buttons in parralel on my bars is my present idea. I think that it will also be more confusing for a potential thief.

I am stumped at how to connect a two wire button to the three wire controller lead.

I am hoping someone would be kind enough to share how to figure this out.

Thanks

I am stumped at how to connect a two wire button to the three wire controller lead.

I think I understand what you are after now.

To put a push button (or better yet a toggle switch) on your 3 wire throttle system just connect it between the red positive wire and the signal wire, which may be any color. The third negative wire is normally black. There may be some controllers that shut off when the full 5 volts is fed back, in which case you would need some sort of resister.

On your long trip where you want some sort of full speed cruise control you would just flick the toggle. With the toggle off then your normal throttle would work. This should be combined with standard brake lever switches that shut down the controller when you apply the brakes.

A better solution would be to research the cruise controls available with some controllers, and I think with a Cycle Analyst.

Hi,

I ahve a push button throttle interface designed for RC ESCs but this is not what you need for a normal ebike controller. It slowly ramps up the throttle, and does other fancy stuff like limit power, cruise control, ebike stats, data logging, blah blah blah. But over kill for what you need. I do really like a button throttle on low power setups. Makes it easy to install on drop bars, or flat, and easily put multiple buttons around the bars as needed,a s they are cheap and easy to put in parallel.

The ebike throttle is different, the three lines are Ground, 5V, and signal.
For a typical hall throttle the signal wire should be ~0.8v at zero throttle and ~4.1v at full throttle.
So the simplest push button throttle would be a simple voltage divider resistor network such that when the button isn't pressed you get a 0.8v on the signal wire, and 4.1v when it is pressed. I think Kepler has posted a schematic at one stage that does this. It is really very simple jsut a few resistors and a push button.

I would personally never have a toggle switch that can stay on, as I find it too dangerous.

The other issue that you may need to resolve is if the transition from zero to full throttle is too quick. With a twist/thumb throttle it does take a small amount of time to twist from 0 to 100%. This smooths out the transition. With a push button this transition will be instant and may not feel right on the bike. But I would give the simple on/off button a go, and only tackle this problem if it is real.

Someone with more analog electronics knowledge than me will tell you how to do this with some capacitors o something.

Anyway hope that helps.

- Adrian

Some controllers have a cruise function that will keep the throttle on if it has been kept in the same position for 5 seconds or more. Working great for me.

adrian_sm said:
Hi,

I ahve a push button throttle interface designed for RC ESCs but this is not what you need for a normal ebike controller. It slowly ramps up the throttle, and does other fancy stuff like limit power, cruise control, ebike stats, data logging, blah blah blah. But over kill for what you need. I do really like a button throttle on low power setups. Makes it easy to install on drop bars, or flat, and easily put multiple buttons around the bars as needed,a s they are cheap and easy to put in parallel.

The ebike throttle is different, the three lines are Ground, 5V, and signal.
For a typical hall throttle the signal wire should be ~0.8v at zero throttle and ~4.1v at full throttle.
So the simplest push button throttle would be a simple voltage divider resistor network such that when the button isn't pressed you get a 0.8v on the signal wire, and 4.1v when it is pressed. I think Kepler has posted a schematic at one stage that does this. It is really very simple jsut a few resistors and a push button.

I would personally never have a toggle switch that can stay on, as I find it too dangerous.

The other issue that you may need to resolve is if the transition from zero to full throttle is too quick. With a twist/thumb throttle it does take a small amount of time to twist from 0 to 100%. This smooths out the transition. With a push button this transition will be instant and may not feel right on the bike. But I would give the simple on/off button a go, and only tackle this problem if it is real.

This is very useful. The toggle sounds too dangerous for me too. I generally pedal to get going and to go directly to full throttle as I find that is what the twist does anyway. It doesn't have nearly the subtle touch of a motorcycle so I would rather just skip it altogether....Or at least see if it is going to work the way I think it should.

Could one voltage divider network be used for several buttons?

what I've used for several bikes and several different types of motors and controllers

YMMV

Attachments

• lolthrottle.JPG
    lolthrottle.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 9,093
oops

forgot one resistor

Attachments

• lolthrottle2.JPG
    lolthrottle2.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 9,086
I bought a nice linear potentiometer from P3 America inc. ( sorry I lost the site IP ) They come in all variation Ohms, travel etc. most importantly it include a spring return, Works great and simple ! and easy to mount. Check it out

Zoot Katz said:
You might try a thumb throttle if your wrist is bothering you because of the twist throttle.
A push button just gives you on/off. A thumb throttle can be regulated.

Dustin?

Yup...it's me.

All I want it on and off. I have my CA set for 15 amps and most times don't need anything else. I have found that the three throttles I have tried (thumb, full and half twist from Grin) aren't sensitive and just do on and off anyway. A button is low profile and easy...or at least that's is what I am thinking at the moment.

I'm with El_Walto, it sounds like what you need is cruise control running with a thumb throttle. The easiest would be the programmed setup where you hold the throttle position for a programmed number of seconds, and cruise is activated. Let go of the throttle and you're on autopilot. Then either another pulse of the throttle or squeezing the ebrake lever cancels cruise. Put your hands wherever you want or even ride no hands in the meantime. A bunch of different button throttles is the last thing I'd want, since sure enough you get off the bike to walk it or hold it with the key still on and you grab it by or bump the throttle button.

If it was just one, then sure a momentary switch would work fine with a 15A rig, but then you'd have to hold it down. Cruise control is what you want.

John in CR said:
I'm with El_Walto, it sounds like what you need is cruise control running with a thumb throttle. The easiest would be the programmed setup where you hold the throttle position for a programmed number of seconds, and cruise is activated. Let go of the throttle and you're on autopilot. Then either another pulse of the throttle or squeezing the ebrake lever cancels cruise. Put your hands wherever you want or even ride no hands in the meantime. A bunch of different button throttles is the last thing I'd want, since sure enough you get off the bike to walk it or hold it with the key still on and you grab it by or bump the throttle button.

If it was just one, then sure a momentary switch would work fine with a 15A rig, but then you'd have to hold it down. Cruise control is what you want.
Can lyens 9 fet aka infineon controllers be programmed to do this? If so cool. 8) 8)

John in CR said:

I will have to try cruise control...but I am finding that my hands (on longer trips in the city) locked into the one position where my throttle is not what I want...I like to have my hands out wide and out of the saddle as well. Especially at starts when getting out of the saddle provides the most human power.

I like to get my load (me, bike and 45 kgs of gear) going up to 15 kph and then hit the throttle.

PurplePirate said:
Could one voltage divider network be used for several buttons?

Yep. Just parallel the switches exactly where you would normally have one. Too easy.

In fact the buttons I use for my throttles have two sets of legs that make it really easy to parallel up. Seen on the top of the photo below.

DSC_2301.JPG

If you want an analog solution for a simple push button throttle, you can try something like this:
pb1.JPG

This is your basic voltage divider...with the throttle pushbutton open, you'll get around .8 volts. With it closed, you should get a little over 4.1 volts. The cutoff swich is for safety in case something fails.

If you want to get fancier, and include a delay, you can add a capacitor and current limiting resistor. The schematic below should get you around a half second delay...more like an actual throttle:
pb2.JPG

And if you want to get really fancy, you can include a full lag cicrcuit, and control the ramp to full throttle like the schematic below. ( I posted something similar with a description of how it works in this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33963&start=15)

I haven't tested these....they're just ideas....starting points. I'd test them in order to get the correct values.

Mabye time for me to dumb it back down to my level. I like the idea of a potentiometer plus a push button switch. The potentiometer could even be the original throttle if it still functions. Mcguyver the throttle so it stays where you set it, and select a speed. It can now be located anywhere you want on the bike . Then the switch is spliced on a throttle wire and located on the bars, The switch could make contact on the wire of your choice, power in or signal out, either one. Push the button, bike goes. I don't see any difficulty at all in having several switches on the bars, so long as closing any one switch would complete the circuit. So yeah, paralelled.

Personally I find a half twist throttle no big deal, even for extremely long rides. Construction work taught me not to overgrip the handle of anything, avoiding excess hand fatigue. For a ride in excess of 50 miles, I'll remove the washer from the throttle, allowing me to make the throttle sticky by jamming the grip in against the part that rotates. So once it's on, I can put my hands anywhere.

@ Dogman - This idea has the most potential of being completed by me. Thanks.

I am going to move the half twist to another position and see if that is closer to what I want. Right now it is really close to the centre and I want my hands out wider.

wineboyrider said:
John in CR said:

Can lyens 9 fet aka infineon controllers be programmed to do this? If so cool. 8) 8)

Yes

Back