Will 56 volts fry my controller?

hekdude

1 W
I have an E-bike kit, which is advertised to 48 V. I currently run on 36V, and was shipped 18V batteries instead of the 14.4V batteries I ordered, which I am planning on running in series with the 36V. Does anyone have experience with this.

I also have their geared hub motor. I don't want to smoke that either.

You should be OK. Just take it i
easy at first and check the motor for heat. Don't use full throttle at low spp
eed on a hill until you see what heat you are getting

I have one of those controllers and I have run ping 48 volts ( actually 53 volts) and no issues. I heard you can go as high as 60
volts as the caps are 63 volts. Your mileage may vary... I have the older version from 2 years ago.

what is 18V? from the statements, i assume you meant a 12V SLA battery when you say 14.4V. so what is an 18V battery?

did you measure the voltage on the 36V SLA and what is the voltage on this 18V SLA?

if you exceed 63V on the input, then the input caps are presented with above spec voltages.

Open the controller and check out the capacitor voltages.

It will probably be about 63v.
So you need to stay a little bit under that, say 60v tops.
Measure what your battery is when fully charged when you add the other battery on top of the 36v.

It probably won't take that for very long, so look into an infineon controller that can pump out more amps AND take a max voltage of around 90-100v :)

We try. The more info you give us, the better the answers. Like exactly what the batteries are.

60v when fully charged should not harm anything in your controller. 63v is pushing it but may work fine. You should have 63v caps in a stock E-BikeKit controller for the direct drive motor.

i once had 90V on the stock infineon controller, but just for few seconds and bench testing so no load.

it is so important to provide enuff info so people can help, like the dogman says.

That's good to know. To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with what anybody is selling too much lately. I've sort of drifted off into mostly dirt riding, and using non typical hubmotors.

Now that spring has nearly come, I need to browse and see who has what new this year.

Back