Aerodynamics thread?

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
User avatar
recumpence
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 5355
Joined: Apr 19, 2008 8:33 am
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by recumpence » Jun 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Your bike is actually pretty high for a recumbent (at least your head is high for good visibility). My head is just about 30 inches off the ground. It is tough to see dips in teh road and I have no suspension. So, I scout any new roads with my car before I ride them unless I am planning on rising relatively slow. :mrgreen:

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

User avatar
Lenk42602
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 884
Joined: Oct 04, 2007 1:03 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

I have been staring at this for a few months now...

Post by Lenk42602 » Jun 29, 2008 10:15 am

I am waffling, really. The intent is to increase range, not speed ( although I am sure a few mph increase would result). But there seems to me to be a point of no return in everyone's projects. For some reason, installing a mini bike 1/2 fairing on my 74v Stealth Electric Bicycle seems to me to be that point........

Image
Image

...because obviously I could source the lower 1/2 of the fairing and install it also. Concerned that it will fully depart from the stealth bicyce realm and clearly enter motorcycle land in the eyes of the uninitiated, and most importantly the law.

Now, if anyone can provide any real data, or directions on how to calculate, or help me to quantify exactly to what degree a 1/2 (or full) fairing on my setup will increase effeciency, I can begin weighing the exposure risk versus the performance benefit.....

Pete
100 W
100 W
Posts: 199
Joined: Apr 08, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Pete » Jun 30, 2008 1:40 am

Len, have you checked out http://www.ihpva.org ? The site is a bit of a mess to navigate, but there is a lot of info burried there. HPV's are also all about efficency.

For info, I ride a recumbent trike. 40 mph with your head less then 3 feet of the pavement feels awful quick and has a huge grin factor :D . I looked into a fairing for the trike recently and talking witht he manufacturer - Greenspeed, they suggested that on a trike there is not a huge aerodynamic improvement. But it would be good to help keep the weather off.

User avatar
Lenk42602
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 884
Joined: Oct 04, 2007 1:03 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Lenk42602 » Jun 30, 2008 9:17 am

Just checked it out - have to go back and read a little more... Thanks for the link!

peace,

len

User avatar
JennyB
1 kW
1 kW
Posts: 467
Joined: Jan 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: I have been staring at this for a few months now...

Post by JennyB » Jun 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Lenk42602 wrote: Now, if anyone can provide any real data, or directions on how to calculate, or help me to quantify exactly to what degree a 1/2 (or full) fairing on my setup will increase effeciency, I can begin weighing the exposure risk versus the performance benefit.....
I have no personal experience, but from what I remember of the reviews, a Zipper fairing on a drop-bar bike was about as effective as an aerobar. The main advantage was in comfort: you don't have to crouch so low, and it keeps the wind and rain off your thighs. That m/c fairing with flat bars would be less effective - I would estimate it to be much the same as riding 'on the hoods'.

The classic road bike position helps a great deal if you can adapt to it, if you have a meter you can quickly work out your own best compromise between comfort and range. The full aero, on-the-elbows position is in fact the most cemfortable, but not recommended where you may keed to change direction quickly.

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 13911
Joined: May 20, 2008 12:58 am
Location: Paradise

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by John in CR » Jun 30, 2008 12:44 pm

It doesn't seem like an aerodynamic fairing it terribly difficult. The thing we need to come up with is a design on the back side that addresses the acoustical problem with fairings, and that is, the better the fairing, the greater the concentration and focusing of road noise directly at the rider. I'd love to do a fairing, but I'd rather carry more batteries than become the focal point of amplified tire noise.

User avatar
monster
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1343
Joined: Jun 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by monster » Jun 30, 2008 4:48 pm

i thought this was a good effort. i didn't notice any difference though.
Attachments
Dsc00183.jpg
Matthew, Oxford (UK) England
Crystalyte X503, 48v ping 24ah, 40amp controller (with variable current limit mod and soldered shunt to 93 Amps), hacked watts up meter, disc brakes front and back.

User avatar
Lenk42602
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 884
Joined: Oct 04, 2007 1:03 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Lenk42602 » Jun 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Monster,

Is that a zipper fairing? You said you didn't notice any difference? How fast where you traveling, and data, etc? I'm starting to think that while my little mini bike fairing looks cool, probably won't help much unless I sheild the entire front of the bike, and then add some tai of some sort....

Len

recumbent
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sep 07, 2007 5:32 pm
Location: Okanagan valley Canada

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by recumbent » Jun 30, 2008 6:19 pm

John in CR wrote: The thing we need to come up with is a design on the back side that addresses the acoustical problem with fairings.
Truer words are seldom spoken.

I removed my full fairing for the hot summer months and my top speed dropped by...1- 2 kph.

The noise level dropped immensly to near nothing, quite refreshing, I'm going to keep it off till it gets cold out, that's where fairings really shine, they keep you warm & dry.
Ebike in use:
LWB Recumbent bike, Sram i-9 internal gears.
Power: 58V, 16 amp/hr, lipo batteries.
max speed: 52 km/h (30 mph),
max range: 40 km's, incl stop&go few times, minimal pedaling.
New build: Delta recumbent trike

John in CR
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 13911
Joined: May 20, 2008 12:58 am
Location: Paradise

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by John in CR » Jun 30, 2008 6:50 pm

recumbent wrote:
John in CR wrote: The thing we need to come up with is a design on the back side that addresses the acoustical problem with fairings.
Truer words are seldom spoken.
I removed my full fairing for the hot summer months and my top speed dropped by...1- 2 kph.
The noise level dropped immensly to near nothing, quite refreshing, I'm going to keep it off till it gets cold out, that's where fairings really shine, they keep you warm & dry.
I have a few ideas to test out once I get to a stage of fooling around with fairing, so maybe my previous hobby speakers and room acoustics will prove useful. I'm already making use lots of tidbits from the thermodynamics I picked up piddling around with hot air engines.

User avatar
www.recumbents.com
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 809
Joined: May 26, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Chicago area
Contact:

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by www.recumbents.com » Jun 30, 2008 8:50 pm

If you have a recumbent bike, a tailbox is the best way to gain better aerodynamics. If you have a road bike, buy more batteries... 8)

Something like this Coroplast tailbox is cheap, easy to make and very lightweight.
Image
There are plans here:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/tailbox ... ailbox.htm

You can find ot more about aerodynamics here:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm

-Warren.

User avatar
recumpence
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 5355
Joined: Apr 19, 2008 8:33 am
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by recumpence » Jul 01, 2008 6:31 am

Warren,

Welcome! Glad you found us.

I have some updates coming soon (new motor). :wink:

I am curious about your No-Com tail fairing. Should make that bike crazy fast.

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 11436
Joined: Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Miles » Jul 01, 2008 7:13 am

With upright bikes, maybe what we need are different ways of varying the riding position? Drops and other dual set-ups don't combine easily with throttles etc. (not a problem with a pedelec system, though...)

This kind of thing. Preferably something that can be adjusted on the move.

User avatar
Mark_A_W
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1497
Joined: Jun 23, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Sunny Melbourne Australia

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Mark_A_W » Jul 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I just run a thumb throttle in parallel with my main throttle, fitted to the LH bar end. I sit up or get down on the bar ends, and still have a throttle.
Under construction: Giant DH Team, MAC Shanghai, Infineon 18 FET controller, 64v Headway battery. LINK!!

Retired: Kona Dawg Dually + Bomber Triple Clamp forks with Nine Continents front hub motor, 48v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 Pack + 12v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 booster pack (nominal 64v).

Powered by the sun :)

Dead: Jamis Dakar frame, Mongoose Pro Downhill frame, cooked Lipo booster pack....and various other bits and pieces...

User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 11436
Joined: Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Miles » Jul 03, 2008 9:29 am

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... 38&start=2

Data from "Bicycling Science"; DG Wilson 3rd edition


Upright commuting bike... CD 1.15; Area 0.55sq.m

Touring bike... CD 1.0; Area 0.40 sq.m

Racing bike... CD 0.88; Area 0.36 sq.m

"Easy Racer" recumbent (unfaired)... CD 0.77; Area 0.77 sq.m

"Peer Gynt" recumbent (unfaired)... CD 0.74; Area 0.56 sq.m

"Peer Gynt" recumbent + front fairing... CD 0.75; Area 0.58 sq.m

"Flux" recumbent + rear fairing... CD 0.55; Area 0.35 sq.m

"M5" low racer recumbent (faired)... CD 0.13; Area 0.35 sq.m

"Avatar Bluebell" recumbent (faired)... CD 0.11; Area 0.42 sq.m

If anbody knows other sources of data, please let me know. I seem to remember some tables in "Human Power" - if I can find them, I'll post them here.

User avatar
JennyB
1 kW
1 kW
Posts: 467
Joined: Jan 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by JennyB » Jul 04, 2008 4:05 am

Miles wrote:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... 38&start=2

Data from "Bicycling Science"; DG Wilson 3rd edition


Upright commuting bike... CD 1.15; Area 0.55sq.m

Touring bike... CD 1.0; Area 0.40 sq.m

Racing bike... CD 0.88; Area 0.36 sq.m

"Easy Racer" recumbent (unfaired)... CD 0.77; Area 0.77 sq.m

"Peer Gynt" recumbent (unfaired)... CD 0.74; Area 0.56 sq.m
What matters is CD*Area:
Touring bike... CDA 0.4

Racing bike... CDA 0.32

"Easy Racer" recumbent (unfaired)... CDA 0.59

"Peer Gynt" recumbent (unfaired)... CDA 0.41
"Peer Gynt" recumbent + front fairing... CDA 0.44 (some mistake here?)

"Flux" recumbent + rear fairing... CDA 0.19

So, even a touring position will beat a semi-bent (bb lower than hips). This bears out my own experience that in aero tuck I can out-coast my brother's unfaired tadpole trike.

User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 11436
Joined: Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Miles » Jul 04, 2008 4:39 am

JennyB wrote: "Peer Gynt" recumbent (unfaired)... CDA 0.41
"Peer Gynt" recumbent + front fairing... CDA 0.44 (some mistake here?)
I thought the anomaly was addressed in the text, but I can't find any reference to it. It's quite possible that a miss-matched front fairing could have a negative impact....

User avatar
monster
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1343
Joined: Jun 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by monster » Jul 05, 2008 10:01 am

Lenk42602 wrote:Monster,

Is that a zipper fairing? You said you didn't notice any difference? How fast where you traveling, and data, etc? I'm starting to think that while my little mini bike fairing looks cool, probably won't help much unless I sheild the entire front of the bike, and then add some tai of some sort....

Len

i bought a baby bath tub from ebay then cut and bolted to my basket.
Matthew, Oxford (UK) England
Crystalyte X503, 48v ping 24ah, 40amp controller (with variable current limit mod and soldered shunt to 93 Amps), hacked watts up meter, disc brakes front and back.

User avatar
TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 7543
Joined: Jan 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Wear the fox hat.
Contact:

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by TylerDurden » Jul 11, 2008 11:34 am

A post on ecomodder for an online simulator:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... #post43066

Image
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Image
___________________________________________________________

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.



Image

User avatar
Drunkskunk
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 7037
Joined: Apr 14, 2007 11:37 am
Location: Dallas, Texas. U.S.A.

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Drunkskunk » Jul 11, 2008 2:00 pm

TD, looks like a great tool. have you plugged the CitiVan into it yet?
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

User avatar
TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 7543
Joined: Jan 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Wear the fox hat.
Contact:

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by TylerDurden » Jul 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Drunkskunk wrote:TD, looks like a great tool. have you plugged the CitiVan into it yet?
You can be sure I will, when it starts raining again... I just finished pulling the shredded tires & wheels to go and get new skins (maybe the tire-store has wifi).

Later, yall...
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Image
___________________________________________________________

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.



Image

cerewa
100 W
100 W
Posts: 159
Joined: Oct 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by cerewa » Jul 11, 2008 3:55 pm

How do you go up and down gutters/kerbs on all these recumbenty thingys?
The same way you go up and down gutters/curbs in a porsche - you don't.

I ride an upright bike but it has no suspension and I try to avoid taking bumps, up or down, of more than 1 inch (or 3 inches if i'm going really slowly). I ride in the road like I would on a motorcycle or car.

User avatar
Mark_A_W
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1497
Joined: Jun 23, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Sunny Melbourne Australia

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by Mark_A_W » Jul 11, 2008 6:12 pm

cerewa wrote:
How do you go up and down gutters/kerbs on all these recumbenty thingys?
The same way you go up and down gutters/curbs in a porsche - you don't.

I ride an upright bike but it has no suspension and I try to avoid taking bumps, up or down, of more than 1 inch (or 3 inches if i'm going really slowly). I ride in the road like I would on a motorcycle or car.
Then you may as well drive a car or ride a motorcycle.

Half the point of an e-bike being a pushbike is you can:

- ride on footpaths
- sneak around red lights
- ride on bike paths
- ride on the wrong side of the road
- ride through foot lanes, etc with barriers for vehicles
- bash over median strips at 30kmh to cross roads wherever you need
- closed roads
- footy ovals
- ANYWHERE

And it's pretty unlikely the cops will do you. The whole point of a bike is to AVOID the traffic, not mix with it.

My ride to work is 15km. My drive to work is 20km, because I can take SHORTCUTS.

If I was going to stick to the same legal route as my car, I'd get a Vectrix maxi scooter or something. A bicycle is about freedom. Without a robust bike (preferably dual suspension) you lose that freedom -the freedom to go where it's safest and quickest for you.
Under construction: Giant DH Team, MAC Shanghai, Infineon 18 FET controller, 64v Headway battery. LINK!!

Retired: Kona Dawg Dually + Bomber Triple Clamp forks with Nine Continents front hub motor, 48v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 Pack + 12v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 booster pack (nominal 64v).

Powered by the sun :)

Dead: Jamis Dakar frame, Mongoose Pro Downhill frame, cooked Lipo booster pack....and various other bits and pieces...

User avatar
recumpence
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 5355
Joined: Apr 19, 2008 8:33 am
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by recumpence » Jul 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Mark_A_W wrote:
cerewa wrote:
How do you go up and down gutters/kerbs on all these recumbenty thingys?
The same way you go up and down gutters/curbs in a porsche - you don't.

I ride an upright bike but it has no suspension and I try to avoid taking bumps, up or down, of more than 1 inch (or 3 inches if i'm going really slowly). I ride in the road like I would on a motorcycle or car.
Then you may as well drive a car or ride a motorcycle.

Half the point of an e-bike being a pushbike is you can:

- ride on footpaths
- sneak around red lights
- ride on bike paths
- ride on the wrong side of the road
- ride through foot lanes, etc with barriers for vehicles
- bash over median strips at 30kmh to cross roads wherever you need
- closed roads
- footy ovals
- ANYWHERE

And it's pretty unlikely the cops will do you. The whole point of a bike is to AVOID the traffic, not mix with it.

My ride to work is 15km. My drive to work is 20km, because I can take SHORTCUTS.

If I was going to stick to the same legal route as my car, I'd get a Vectrix maxi scooter or something. A bicycle is about freedom. Without a robust bike (preferably dual suspension) you lose that freedom -the freedom to go where it's safest and quickest for you.
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. I used to ride freestyle in my teenage years. I also own a $3,500 radical freeride mountain bike. So, I enjoy hopping curbs and cutting through trails as much as the next guy. However, my E-bike is a recumbent. Until you ride a recembent, you will not appreciate their strengths. Also, for me, the point is accelleration and efficiency. I can't acheive both in a mountain bike. I can, however, with my recumbent.

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

User avatar
TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 7543
Joined: Jan 04, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Wear the fox hat.
Contact:

Re: Aerodynamics thread?

Post by TylerDurden » Jul 11, 2008 9:02 pm

A cruzbike with a fairing and tailbox might be a good compromise.
Attachments
cruzFaired.jpg
Full suspension, Fairing, Comfy...
cruzFaired.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Image
___________________________________________________________

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.



Image

Post Reply