BMC One way bearing failure * Best Supplier?

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.

Re: BMC One way bearing failure * Best Supplier?

Postby knoxie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:11 pm

:D

Well I contacted they very helpful Ilia at ebikes sf, He assured me that the one piece MAC clutch would fit the motor as snowranger had fitted one to a BMC and it has been working fine, well its got to be a lot better than the gears that I had in it!! ha ha, anyway he is doing the whole clutch for 75 dollars which is reasonable considering the new price of the motors these days.

Totally recommend Ilia he responded instantly as was very helpful, he will ship worldwide as well which is a bonus, so for UK 75 pounds delivered I can get my bike back on the road, the motor has been amazing so I owe it to the machine to keep it on the road :-)

I intend to clean the grease and shrapnel from the inside of the motor to make sure I dont damage the new gears, it will have the green composite gears with the one piece clutch, the way I run the motor it should be fine, I will post pictures of my progress, the new clutch should be with me within a week or so.

This video explains the differences with the clutches

Electric KMX 72V Lipo, USPD drive unit. BMX 72V, Puma BMC,
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
http://tinyurl.com/4vrmc8 http://tinyurl.com/3umm4n
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby CogHog » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:44 pm

knoxie wrote::D

Well I contacted they very helpful Ilia at ebikes sf, He assured me that the one piece MAC clutch would fit the motor as snowranger had fitted one to a BMC and it has been working fine, well its got to be a lot better than the gears that I had in it!! ha ha, anyway he is doing the whole clutch for 75 dollars which is reasonable considering the new price of the motors these days.

Totally recommend Ilia he responded instantly as was very helpful, he will ship worldwide as well which is a bonus, so for UK 75 pounds delivered I can get my bike back on the road, the motor has been amazing so I owe it to the machine to keep it on the road :-)

I intend to clean the grease and shrapnel from the inside of the motor to make sure I dont damage the new gears, it will have the green composite gears with the one piece clutch, the way I run the motor it should be fine, I will post pictures of my progress, the new clutch should be with me within a week or so.

This video explains the differences with the clutches

I have know Chandu for 7 years now as I have worked in the same building designing microscope systems. He designs the motors and distributes to sellers like ilia. He does not want to deal with the public so go through one of the suppliers when you need something. I still do work on the side for him from 85 miles south. I have a spare set of white, green, and blue planetary gears. I could give you the green or white ones just pay the shipping. So glad to hear your motor lasted so long. I used to ride my bicycle to work there but it was only .8 miles away so I never needed a motor. Now I am 58 and have many hills to climb to get to work. The v2t does this for me. I have the blue gears in it and it is much quiter and free wheels better then the green gears. I believe the original design was Chandu's and it is made in India and the MAC's in China. Look at all these motors. Makes me drool.
Attachments
motors.jpg
(224.2 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
4 per box.jpg
(241.19 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Tomac Freeride 2001, BMC V2T front, 50a controller, 51v Turnigy 20c 14s2p. Hookworms 2.5x26.
90's Specialized, BMC V2T rear, 50a controller, 14s2p Turnigy 20c (58v top), Kenda 1.95x26, Indian Board Track style.
CogHog
100 W
100 W

Postby neptronix » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Nice vid! the new clutch looks quite a bit beefier, but up the version 3 looks identical as to what MAC motors have came with up until maybe a few months ago.

The MAC gray gears might save you some $.

And yes, MAC motors are made in China.
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb
neptronix
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Sacman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:28 pm

knoxie wrote::D

Sounds good Knoxie,
+1 on Ilia's helpfullness, knowledge and response. I can't say enough good things about him. Also, good to know you've had many good years of service from that old BMC motor (and with those original white nylon planetary gears too). The new blue gears should be even better and the new clutch should freewheel better and be quieter too. Is that you're only geared hubmotor? For some reason I seem to remember you running a PUMA.
Sacman
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Phoebus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Ilia is the best.
Phoebus
100 W
100 W

Postby knoxie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 am

Hi guys

Thanks for the offer of the gears :-) any yes Ilia has been amazing to deal with, he shipped out the new clutch within a few hours on me sending him the funds, he also threw in a new key,circlip and grease for free!! what a top guy, so yes anybody who is reading this thread and needs a new clutch get in contact with him, very highly recommended.

As far as other hub motors I have the BMX which has the Puma motor in it, I also have another spare motor in a 26 inch wheel with a BMC copy very early design, that one also needs a new clutch I think so may be in contact with Ilia again :lol: its funny because i took it off the bike a few years back because it was slipping and couldn't find the problem, at the time I didn't know the 1 way bearinig was in the clutch :roll: now I know I think that motor can be repaired :-) as I had tested the usual sun gear slipping, rotor slipping etc, so that will resurrect that motor, that motor was a torque motor not a high speed wind but the wheel was cool as it was spoked in a radial array.

The other bike is an old school xlyte X5 5304, a monster of a motor and the bike that I am using at the moment whilst the BMC is out of action, I also have the KMX of course with the modified Currie unit, so in total 4 working ebikes :-)

The beauty of the BMC or MAC is just how light they are and so very powerful at low voltages, riding my X5 in to work its like a tank, its a good motor but the weight is almost unbearable especially when you compare it to a geared motor, I am not interested in going over 30mph or having mental acceleration this is why I love the BMC/MAC in my opinion its they very best compromise any ebiker can get, until you try one you don't know what you are missing out on.
Raleigh 26 inch MTB Puma 50V Turnigy 25C Lipo 10AH, Trek MTB, X5 48V NIMH. Electric BMX
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby knoxie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 am

Hows this for service!! Clutch, Grease, Circlip and Key arrived today.

US to UK in 6 days just as promised :D Very pleased, will post pictures when I get it sorted in the next few days, Thanks again to Ilia as ebikes.sf for your great service :D I may just order another one as well as I have 1 more spare motor that I think also needs a new clutch :-)
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby knoxie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:44 am

Here are the pictures of the new clutch.

Its a little different to the old clutch as you can see, the old one is deeper, anyway its all in the bike and is working, :D used the supplied grease too, the new key was slightly smaller so had to use the old key, because the design was slightly different the keyway was exposed at the top once the gear was on, I fixed this with a supporting washer pushing down on the key, fitted the circlip against that so should never move.

Thumbs up for ebikes.sf Image
Attachments
IMG_2176 (Small).JPG
IMG_2176 (Small).JPG (81.42 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
IMG_2177 (Small).JPG
IMG_2177 (Small).JPG (81.83 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
IMG_2178 (Small).JPG
IMG_2178 (Small).JPG (65.4 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
IMG_2179 (Small).JPG
IMG_2179 (Small).JPG (79.55 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby kfong » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:30 am

The gears look darker than previous ones. I wonder if they changed the composition.
kfong
10 MW
10 MW

Postby MattyCiii » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:20 am

Knoxie,
What's the inside diameter of that keyed shaft bore?
1st build: Dahon Jetstream folding bike. Quick, reliable, capable of 32mph. Light enough to lift, folds for easy transport by car/bus/train.
2nd build: RC powered 2009 Norco A-Line. Top speed 39mph. Built like a tank, it's resistant to Boston potholes, can stop on a dime, easily goes up/down curbs when necessary.
3rd build (just started): Scratch build ultimate utility bike. Based on a common power module using a NuVinci left side freewheel.
MattyCiii
100 kW
100 kW

Postby knoxie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:12 pm

I think its about 20mm but I will check it for you, the other one is at my works will check in the morning and post back, not sure about the gears they are new composite ones according to ilia, I made the stock ones last years so I should be OK :-)
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby CogHog » Thu May 10, 2012 2:51 pm

http://www.ebikessf.com/node/206

I see the MAC composite gears look good. The cost of the BMC blue gears goes even higher because of the improved one way bearing. This is much smoother free wheel then the clutch you have and very quite. Not sure if they fit the MAC.

Someone has the blue one's on ebay this week. PM me if you want these. over $10 shipping will be added for out of USA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130692097585?ss ... 1555.l2649
Attachments
blue 2.jpg
blue 2.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 937 times
blue 1.jpg
blue 1.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Tomac Freeride 2001, BMC V2T front, 50a controller, 51v Turnigy 20c 14s2p. Hookworms 2.5x26.
90's Specialized, BMC V2T rear, 50a controller, 14s2p Turnigy 20c (58v top), Kenda 1.95x26, Indian Board Track style.
CogHog
100 W
100 W

Postby jateureka » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks for posting this, some usefull info.
E-bikes: Bafang 8FUN; Mac; Ezee; FreeGo; Ibosa; Aprilia; eLation V2; TerraTrike recumbent
E-motorbikes: ZEV 7100 LR scooter, 84V 60Ah LiFePO4; Pending upgrades = Throttle Tamer & battery capacity meter.
ZERO 2011 S motorcycle, 51.8V 70Ah LiMno2, 2012 headlight, w'screen; Pending upgrades = Kilovac EV-200 contactor and 14 x Leaf modules for 132Ah pack
E-mower: EGO 56V mower & line trimmer
E-Power: 3.3kW solar array and Xantrax grid tie inverter
jateureka
10 kW
10 kW

Postby knoxie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 am

Your welcome!! thats why we do it :-) motor is still running fine too :-)
knoxie
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Ariane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Guy's

Curiously theses greys gears look's like identical to mine in my MAC motor and I got them from Cell_Man, one year ago, they are thicker then the regular one. :shock:

Good day!
Black Arrow
Ariane
10 kW
10 kW

Next

Return to E-Bike Technical