Help! Ebike wheel is making loud rumbling noises w/ Video

IIIHorseman

100 mW
I need some assistance with my Ebike setup. When I twist the crystalite throttle (ever so slightly) or WOT, I hear a small studder (from the motor), but the wheel doesn't turn or move. Everything seems to be connected correctly (Cycle Analyst shows 54 Volts). The only thing that I could possible think of is the throttle wires on the crysaltite are red green and yellow. On the Lyen controller port It's red green and black. Green and Red are connected, but since there is not black (only yellow) I put the yellow wire in the black connector.

What are the possible issues?

Here are the Specs:
9 FET 3077 Mark II sensored LYEN edition
48V 10AH LiMN battery
-Crysatlette throttle
-MAC Motor 8T (green, yellow and blue phase wire are connected in the corresponding colors on the Lyen)

Looks like the motor wiring harness had some wires reveresed. This fixed the throttle issue, but now it's rumbling very loud when I turn the throttle?!

It is the colour wiring combo you are using. THis is what Lyen lists as his known combos re Macs:

Lyen Controller to Puma/MAC/BMC geared hub motor wire color lining including motors from Ebikes SF, motors from Australia, and the silver color ones (around 4.7A for Puma/MAC and 3.7A for BMC unlaced freewheel at 44.4v tested on 4/5/2011):

Controller: Motor:
Hall:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

Phase:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

or

Hall:
Yellow Blue
Green Green
Blue Yellow

Phase:
Yellow Blue
Green Green
Blue Yellow

or

Hall:
Yellow Yellow
Green Green
Blue Blue

Phase:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

I don't know about Macs, but for my BMC (which is very similar to a Mac), the combo is that the blue wires match on both Halls and Phases, but the green and yellow are swapped (both on halls and phases) - ie my combo is the first one he lists.

Be careful in testing any combos, only use a little throttle as you can blow your controller hammering the throttle with the wrong combo.

I tried those different combos. Still getting a nasty rumbling noise. Not sure what the heck that is.

Here is the video. Nothing is scraping or touching the motor either (I pedaled at the beginning so you can see).

http://youtu.be/YLfIU9eTTis

Did it all work fine and then stop working? If so, it can't be a wire color match problem, and you should put it back the way it was.

More likely, it is a poor or broken connection to a hall wire, either in the wire, in the controller, in the hub, or at the connector between them.

Take the chain off freewheel so it rotates with the motor and see if that makes a difference. Sounds like the freewheel to me.

I just happen to see your post. There is a recent batch of MAC motors that work out straight on the color to color lining for both hall & phase as below. You may want to give it a try.

Lyen Controller: Motor:
Hall:
Yellow Yellow
Green Green
Blue Blue

Phase:
Yellow Yellow
Green Green
Blue Blue

You may also want to lift the wheel off the ground, twist the throttle and tell us the "no load" current/amperage draw from your Cycle Analyst. We can then determine if you have the proper hall/phase sequence. The no load current draw should be around 4-5A or possibly less assuming you have it already laced on a 26" wheel with tire. :)

When I have the color combination like this:

Lyen Controller: Motor:
Hall:
Yellow Yellow
Green Green
Blue Blue

Phase:
Yellow Yellow
Green Green
Blue Blue

I just get the little 'burst' sound of startup when I baby the throttle but it doesn't really move the wheel at all and quickly goes out.

Even more likely than wrong combination, is something preventing contact on a hall or phase wire. pesky backed out contacts on plugs can be hard to spot.

I'm sure I checked all those, I even took the leads out of the harness while I was testing them. Let me try my multimeter to make sure they are all getting continuity though. It seems like its an out of phase issue. Sort of sounds like my RC brush less airplane when the motor phase isn't setup right (It moves but sounds off). Someone must of encountered this thing before? I'm pretty sure the video should give some kind of hint.

Might start looking then, at whether the halls test good, or phases are shorted.

I took it to High Powered Cycles to take a look at. They said something is up with the motor and I will be sending it back for a BMC or Crystalite.

Back