Aero disk wheel cover over a hub motor?

Bigsherm

1 mW
Would this cause overheating? With a hub motor like say, Bionx, with a disc brake, I could easily make a lycra wheel cover that covered the entire rear wheel, from axle to rim so it would resemble an aero disc wheel, like on the back of a time trial racing bike. It'd look like it belongs on my 'bent, and if I camouflage the batteries correctly, talk about stealth!

What do you think?

Thanks,
Sherm

There's a pic of a bike on here where someone did just that. I think they hid the batteries similarly. It was the stealthiest thing I've ever seen. Even I wouldn't have picked it out as an ebike unless I was close enough to spy a throttle, which was pretty much the only tell.

Go for it. :D

No better way to find out then to try! I would make sure to monitor temperature. Neodymium magnets in those motors are very temp sensitive and will fail permanently at 250C iirc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that motors won't produce much heat at full speed (very efficient at converting electricity to power), but will dump most of the current as heat at slow speeds/full throttle = going up a steep hill. Your covers might work great on level road and cook your motor going up hill.

I would imagine lycra covers should vent the hub fine, much more than say solid plastic, carbon or glass fiber would, great idea I will do the same ;)

Back