Hands off oscillation - what gives?

ahend

1 mW
With my brushless front hub motor locked into a constant speed, be it fast or slow, the front wheel will start an oscillation when both hands are removed from the handle bar. The torque creating this oscillation cannot be felt in the bar at any time during normal riding conditions. This happens almost immediately after I let go, and it quickly gets out of control with the wheel violently sweeping left and right equally.

I first noticed this when I sat upright for a breather (I pedal hard a good deal of the time) and placed my hands on my hips. I’m sure someone got a good laugh watching me pull in the reins, trying to recover from what would have been a nasty toss.

Though I do not consider this a problem that needs to be rectified, I am curious as to what may be the cause. Considering the front end of a bicycle was never designed to propel the frame and rider, could the frame and or fork geometry somehow be responsible? I should think that the fork rake would tend to make the system more stable when a force is applied at the dropouts. Another thing I’ve considered are my torque arms. Since my suspension fork (perhaps another contributor) is aluminum, I have made some serious torque arms (one on each side) with anti spreading measures, that lever force a good 5 inches up. Could they be batting reaction forces back and forth? Perhaps this is an inherent condition of a hub motor as tangent forces pulsate off the circumference of winding diameter to complete a cycle.

Any thoughts? Can anyone duplicate this phenomenon?

An imbalanced wheel seems quite plausible. Perhaps I threw the baby out with the bathwater!
I had a shop work on truing the wheel after I received it because it had a bad hop. This was not fully worked out due to some poor manufacturing.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
99,9% (as Lenk said) resonance between inbalanced wheel and fork springs. No help IMO.

Yep, what they said. Adding the weight of a motor just makes it worse, and a springy Aluminum fork, too. Nothing you can do for it, a perfectly true wheel would do it too, eventualy.

Is this a motor that actually operates when the hands are off the bars?

If not, the change in the hub's resistance to forward motion as the permanent magnets pass by the would seem to be a likely explanation.

If not - the contact patch (where rubber meets road) is actually BEHIND the spot you would find if you drew a perfectly straight line down through the head tube. What this means is that if something exerts a forward force on the bottom of the tire* that portion of the tire will try to find the easiest way to move forward. Flopping the handlebars is easier than moving the whole darn bike.

(*wheel pushes on ground, ground pushes back i.e. exerts equal-and-opposite force, that's how the bike moves)

Weird. I could do a no-hander forever with my hub in the front it was so easy. I suspect (like cerewa) it has something to do with the point at which the wheel contacts the ground in relation to the head tube.

*drips ice cream on keyboard*

Dammit.

I would run the motor with the wheel up... if it don't wiggle, csmarr is likely correct.

The traction issue has merit. When I lift the front end and leave the handle bar free, the wheel spins rock steady at top RPM. I went out and rode the bike with no hands under pedal power only and there was no oscillation.

cerewa said:
(*wheel pushes on ground, ground pushes back i.e. exerts equal-and-opposite force, that's how the bike moves)

I know from my RC helicopter days that when a force is applied to a rotating mass, the effects are witnessed approximately 90 degrees ahead of rotation. If lateral forces are present during traction, where the rubber meets the road, the force would appear on the back of the tire about midway up, and serve to rotate the fork, adding to the misery. This could go far to explain why it occurs almost instantly when I let go under motor power.

ahend said:
With my brushless front hub motor locked into a constant speed, be it fast or slow, the front wheel will start an oscillation when both hands are removed from the handle bar.

I have the same problem, but my bike has a rear-hub motor. It happens at very low speeds; like single-digit mph.

I'm just careful to never remove both hands from the handlebars. Sure wish I could fix the problem though.

I'm not a stunt-clown that rides no-handed all the time, but it would be handy to remove both hands from the handlebars ocasionally. Sometimes I'm carrying something in one hand on my bike, and I need to use my other hand for something else.

I think this could be a couple things. First, bad oscillations of the front tire can often be caused when the angular momentum of the front tire combined with steering actions make the front forks flex. If the sliders of your front forks are loose at all this will make an oscillation like this 100 times worse. Btw, everything in a bicycle steering system is super sensitive to looseness. Also, I'm pretty sure powering the front wheel will make the front tire more aggressively try to keep the bike upright. If the steering is already close to oscillating this will push it over the edge. I'm not quit sure what the solution would be. I can only suggest that something about the steering system needs to change. A summary of the math that describes this all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_dynamics details are over my head, but the qualitative conclusions are quit useful.

Marty

is you bike a cheap chinese generic frame? i have this problem on my bike and i put it down to the poor quality frame. too much play in the headset.

I have it in my two wheel bike but none at all in both three wheel bikes and they are alu frame with steel forks. My two wheel is all steel and it will throw you off the bike if you let the handle bars go

You might try balancing the wheel.

You can remove the wheel from the bike. You will have to be careful with the hub motor's wires as not to break them--especially the hall-effect sense wires. You can prop the axle on both sides using smooth wood blocks. I suspect that the wheel won't spin because of the magnet's grasp on the hub, but the wheel may try to turn one way or another, rolling on the blocks, so that the heavy spot is on the bottom.

You can use either stick-on wheel weights, available at a tire store, or lengths of solder wrapped around a spoke to weigh down the part of the wheel that turns to the top. If you use stick on weights, they can't go where the rimbrake rubs.

There could also be something wrong with the geometry, such as backwards front fork, or one without enough trail. If look at the side of the bike and imagine a line going from the steerer-tube to the ground, and another line going from the front axle down to the ground, the axle line should "trail" behind the steering axis.

Some of the other comments may be alluding to this, but I'm guessing that the oscillations are due to the fact that upright bikes have a very small rake angle. This gives them a highly manuverable, yet very unstable CG. Without a feedback mechanism (ie YOU), the handlebar/motor assembly balance is at the whims of the motor/wheel's force differentials. Magnetic field oscillations, tire friction changes and path distance changes (ie the front tire's path changes seeking the path of lowest resistance) etc, all add up to a harmonic that is revealed in the side-to-side motion you experience. It's like an unbridled horse without a rider, it just goes where it wants to. In the classic-unpowerd-bike-hands-off-scenario, your body is easily able to steer because your CG changes overide any other force that's currently acting on the front wheel. In your scenario, the motor is "stronger" than you, or put another way, it's influences on the front wheel's balance dynamcis have a mechnical advantage over your CG change transmitted through the frame to the front-wheel assembly. Therefore it's oscillating forces have a larger affect on the actual movement than yours and are allowed to find their own harmonic effectively overcoming the input you are attempting to give by changing your center of gravity. One way to reduce the problem is to use a bike frame with a greater rake. This gives it a slower response, but adds stability (IOW, it gives you a greater mechanical advantage by increasing the angle through which your CG changes are passed to the front-wheel and increasing the side contact patch size of the front tire to the ground).

ahend said:
With my brushless front hub motor locked into a constant speed, be it fast or slow, the front wheel will start an oscillation when both hands are removed from the handle bar. The torque creating this oscillation cannot be felt in the bar at any time during normal riding conditions. This happens almost immediately after I let go, and it quickly gets out of control with the wheel violently sweeping left and right equally.

I first noticed this when I sat upright for a breather (I pedal hard a good deal of the time) and placed my hands on my hips. I’m sure someone got a good laugh watching me pull in the reins, trying to recover from what would have been a nasty toss.

Though I do not consider this a problem that needs to be rectified, I am curious as to what may be the cause. Considering the front end of a bicycle was never designed to propel the frame and rider, could the frame and or fork geometry somehow be responsible? I should think that the fork rake would tend to make the system more stable when a force is applied at the dropouts. Another thing I’ve considered are my torque arms. Since my suspension fork (perhaps another contributor) is aluminum, I have made some serious torque arms (one on each side) with anti spreading measures, that lever force a good 5 inches up. Could they be batting reaction forces back and forth? Perhaps this is an inherent condition of a hub motor as tangent forces pulsate off the circumference of winding diameter to complete a cycle.

My front hub bike does EXACTLY the same thing. It's caused by the hub motor.

Don't ride no hands.

If you fix it by playing with the Rake Angle (I can by adjusting the triple clamp forks) your handling will get heavier/slower.

Other than this my bike handles pretty damn well, so I just keep at least one hand where they should be!

Mark

ahend said:
... Considering the front end of a bicycle was never designed to propel the frame and rider, could the frame and or fork geometry somehow be responsible?
Yes, I believe it is at least partially, if not completely responsible. The following statement is a clue:
ahend said:
I went out and rode the bike with no hands under pedal power only and there was no oscillation.

Simplified...

Most single track vehicles incorporate positive 'Trail' for stability. 'Trail' is the distance between the front tire's contact patch, and point where the virtual steering axis meets the ground. If the contact patch is aft the virtual steering axis, then it is said to be 'positive trail' - as is the case with most bicycles. Problem is, positive 'trail' only works when the front wheel is being pushed (think grocery cart). If the front wheel is driven, then the tire's contact patch tries to 'pass' the virtual steering axis whenever the handle bars are turned slightly, OR, if the bike is leaned. Loose parts will undoubtedly exacerbate the situation, but simply cinching everything down won't, IMO, cure it. The fix will probably require reducing or eliminating 'trail' - an easy fix, assuming a rigid fork - you just bend each fork blade forward a little. The down-side to eliminating 'trail' completely, will be increased steering sensitivity and the loss of hands-free-riding (which doesn't pose a problem for me personally... because most of my bikes have little or no 'trail' anyway).

Unless you have cruise control...how do you ride no-hands under power?

Mark_A_W said:
Unless you have cruise control...how do you ride no-hands under power?

This problem showed up soon after I built, and started using an electronic cruise control for my controller. Guess I will have to put it into coast mode before surrenduring control of the handle bar, not that I make a habit out of it.

Thanks for all the great feedback, it's good and thought provoking stuff.

Andy

ahend,

A thought provoking excerpt from one of Tony Foale's books raises additional concerns about 2WD (or FWD) single track vehicles, primarily motorcycles: (located here: http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/2WD_2WS/2WD_2WS.htm )

"To my knowledge very few attempts have ever been made to build 2WD bikes. Perhaps this is due to the mechanical difficulties involved in driving the steered wheel. Imagine the multiplicity of chains and sprockets necessary. However, this problem is easily solved if we adopt hydrostatic hydraulic drive, as discussed last month. If we do this, are there any benefits? The most obvious is that of increased traction, driving through both tyres should enable more power to be put down, but let's examine this in a bit more detail. The SuperBike ultimate street bike binges seem to be an applica- tion for any device that gives more traction, but how can we get any drive from the front when it is most likely two feet in the air anyway? This highlights a major difference between a car and a bike when considering all-wheel drive, --- weight transfer. The car suffers from this too, but to a lesser extent because of it's more favourable 'wheelbase to C.of.G height ratio'. After all, when did you last see a car doing a wheelie? So, not unexpectedly any traction benefits would make more impact under slippery conditions, when the limited acceleration possible, limits the weight transfer. Anyone who has ridden in mud or sand can easily imagine the help that a tug from the front end could provide. Some years ago I seem to remember that the Canadian firm 'Rokon' made a 2WD, ballon tyred, go anywhere vehicle. I think that it was intended for forestry commisson use or similar. I suspect that riding over logs etc. became much easier. Of course, skilled trials riders can do this with ease anyway, but the average tree feller would be stumped much easier. Despite the advantages for this type of use, there is a problem that I feel would render 2WD unusable and positively dangerous for normal road or racing use. That is, the interference that the driving forces would have on the steering. These forces act on a car to a certain extent but it is our need to lean whilst cornering, and our dependence on the steering for balance that puts any two wheeled single track vechicle ( a bike ) in a class of its own. To illustrate the problem to which I refer, just think of the effects when the front brake is applied during cornering. The machine usually tends to straighten up and this often happens to a lesser extent when the throttle is closed. If we were to drive the front wheel then the application of power would tend to make the machine lean over farther. The roads would soon bordered by holes punched into hedges on the inside of bends. To understand why this is so, I'm afraid its back to those gyroscopic forces again. As we lean over in a curve the tyre contact patch moves around the tyre toward the inside of the bend, out of alignment with the steering axis. Any forces on the tyre will now create a torque acting about the steering axis, these torques act on both wheels but with front wheel steering only the effects on the front are much greater, and so we will just consider these. The torque produced by the driving force will act in a way to straighten the steering. For example if we increase the power whilst turning left this torque will act to turn the handle-bars to the right, now, both the centrifugal and the precessional forces will act to make the bike lean over more to the left while the steering is trying to go right. I leave it up to you to imagine how well such a machine would handle. Not only will these effects be evident when the throttle opening is changed, but a steady torque will be felt even on a constant power setting. We will be required to apply a compensating force to the handle-bars. This force will vary depending on the level of power being used. On the overrun a torque steering out of the bend would be needed, with the opposite action necessary for the power-on situation. The magnitude of these upsetting torques may be less under power that under braking, but we can usually avoid the need to brake in a corner. However, we can not avoid the use of varying amounts of power in the bends and so the feel of the bike will be inconsistant. The modern trend toward ever wider tyres would aggravate this problem, because the contact patch can move even farther from the steering axis, so producing higher unsettling steering torques. Imagine the problems if 2WS and 2WD were combined together, the traction induced steering forces could then act on both wheels with quite dramatic effect."

That's all well and good, but from a practical experiment (1 test is better than 1000 theories :) )...

the only handling issue of my ~550w front wheel drive (all wheel drive if I pedal) is the no hands oscillations.

I can spin the front wheel in the wet, you have to be careful of that, but the bike handles pretty well overall.
Certainly better than all the weight at the back (wheelie time!).

All that stuff about steering issues in the above is a total load of bollucks.

I do plan on building a rear wheel drive e bike, but only if I can get the batteries in the frame area. Once you go over a kilowatt I think rear would be safer (assuming bike is balanced), but front works well enough.

The most important thing is balance, not FWD or RWD.

Mark_A_W said:
All that stuff about steering issues in the above is a total load of bollucks.
IMO, it is probably safe to say that the issues Tony Foale raises, impacts lighter, slower, lower wattage vehicles to lesser degree. None-the-less, I believe his knowledge, theorie(s) and pratical experience possess relevance and genuine merit - many, many others certainly think so. You are, of course, free to accept, reject or believe whatever suits your fancy. However, I would encourage you to crack the cover on one of his *books before you ridicule.

* available at many libraries world wide.

Ok, Papa, your point is made.

My point is a front wheel drive bike exhibits none of the steering problems described (other than no-hands). I know because I built one, as did many others.

Back