I was pretty discouraged with everything and didn't have the energy to get back to re-building (nor the funds, still have an ongoing lawsuit with the insurance co. 2 years later).
A few months ago I switched jobs, and am now making a good bit more than before doing database development. Now it's time to rebuild.
First step in that process is a new controller.
I had a couple 36 fet infinion boards I had ordered from Keywin a long time ago, which I was wanting to build up and water cool.
What I have:
- 1/8" copper bar for the heatsinks
- Copper tubing for the water cooling pipes
- Some nice low esr 160v caps from digikey
- Project boxes to enclose them in
- 80 4115 fets
- 120x360mm radiator and fans
- Water pump
- Rubber tubing
My plan was to have the high side fets soldered directly to the copper bar connected to the heat pipe, and the low side fets split into three groups of 6 soldered directly to 3 different copper heatsinks, and then clamp those heatsinks to the larger heatsink connected to the heat pipe.
Today I got motivated and devised a solution to get those fets soldered: What you see above, is the row of 18 high side fets with solder paste on the back of them, clamped to the copper heatsink with an alu-bar on the front to hold them all in place, and smaller copper bars on the back to hold the heat pipes in place.
Next, I stuck them on the burner on the stove, covered the whole contraption with a pan, and set the heat on medium. Only the C-Clamps were in contact with the burner. I kept tabs on the heat of the fets with an IR thermometer, and as soon as the solder on the back of the fets melted, I started cooling everything off.
I kept the temp from getting too high I believe, but I still need to figure out if I ruined the fets before I continue.
Anyways, enjoy the rest of the pictures from today... I'll be continuing with the low side ones now: