Help finding spokes for crystalyte HS3540 rear motor

moostrodamus

100 W
Hey everybody,

I smacked a big pothole and broke some spokes on my crystalyte hs 3540 Rear motor. I live in Toronto, does anyone have a set of twelve gauge spokes for this motor i could buy, or does someone maybe know a good source for these?

Many thanks for your input.

Moo

moostrodamus said:
Hey everybody,

I smacked a big pothole and broke some spokes on my crystalyte hs 3540 Rear motor. I live in Toronto, does anyone have a set of twelve gauge spokes for this motor i could buy, or does someone maybe know a good source for these?

Many thanks for your input.

Moo

2 places I've used with success:

danscomp.com: http://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/Spokes.html
I haven't used the spokes I just ordered from Dan's Comp, but it is cheaper than the link below and they carry the same Sapim spokes. Need to order by phone though.

holmeshobbies.com: http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=406&cat=31&page=1
More expensive, but John is a very good guy and people have been very satisfied with him.

thats great!...would John what i was talking about if asked for a set of spokes for a rear HS3540, or would i need to specify the lenght?

Which i dont know...

moostrodamus said:
thats great!...would John what i was talking about if asked for a set of spokes for a rear HS3540, or would i need to specify the lenght?

Which i dont know...

That's a maybe.

He would need to know the ERD (effective rim diameter) on top of knowing the hub measurements of the m

An easier method would be to remove a spoke and measure it with a ruler.

yep will do that...many thanks...

ebikes.ca have a spoke calculator as well, you punch in the motor type and the ERD and it gives you the spoke length. I used the calculator for a HS3545 and a Mavic Rim I didn't even have yet (just using the ERD from the website) and used the Ebikes calculator, and sent John that length, and it calculated perfectly.

great suggestion...i'll probably pull a spoke off and measure it when i get home from work as that seems to be the simplest solution...

Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys...

moo

Philistine said:
ebikes.ca have a spoke calculator as well, you punch in the motor type and the ERD and it gives you the spoke length. I used the calculator for a HS3545 and a Mavic Rim I didn't even have yet (just using the ERD from the website) and used the Ebikes calculator, and sent John that length, and it calculated perfectly.

Didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out!

EDIT:

Just tried it out, and it doesn't seem to have a measurement for the HT3525, but the text below indicated that 205mm was the right diameter.

I'll have to measure this new hub and find out.

If you are going to replace spokes, it is really a good idea to measure a spoke from the wheel. I had several spokes break in an HS3540 in a 20" wheel. I used the table on ebikes.ca to look up the spoke length and ordered a bunch of 12 gauge spokes based on the values in the table. They were too long. So Crystalyte may use different rims at times, and therefore different spoke lengths required. After measuring spokes from the wheel, I got the correct replacements.

Another good place to get custom 12 gauge spokes is Ebikes SF. They have prepared and shipped spokes very quickly. Spokes are on this page:

http://ebikessf.com/catalog/41

Cal, spokes for the HT3525 should be the same as for the HS3550 as the dimensions of the hubmotor should be the same, just a different wind.

Rich

richmpdx said:
If you are going to replace spokes, it is really a good idea to measure a spoke from the wheel. I had several spokes break in an HS3540 in a 20" wheel. I used the table on ebikes.ca to look up the spoke length and ordered a bunch of 12 gauge spokes based on the values in the table. They were too long. So Crystalyte may use different rims at times, and therefore different spoke lengths required. After measuring spokes from the wheel, I got the correct replacements.

Another good place to get custom 12 gauge spokes is Ebikes SF. They have prepared and shipped spokes very quickly. Spokes are on this page:

http://ebikessf.com/catalog/41

Cal, spokes for the HT3525 should be the same as for the HS3550 as the dimensions of the hubmotor should be the same, just a different wind.

Rich

The drop down box in the calc has the following choice:

Clyte 400-Orig
Clyte 400-offset
Clyte 5300
Clyte HS Series
eZee/BMC
Nine Continent
Bafang

Does that mean I use the HS Series? I also have a document from Crystalyte that shows some of the hub dimensions:

http://crystalyte.com/Crystalyte HS_HT35 rear motor drawing.pdf

Here is the spoke size....I have someone who says they have a set...sent them this pic to see if its the right size...i dont know where you measure too or frum but this shows the whole thingy...

spokemeasure.jpg

moostrodamus said:
Here is the spoke size....I have someone who says they have a set...sent them this pic to see if its the right size...i dont know where you measure too or frum but this shows the whole thingy...

Those are some short spokes. Looks like 67 or 68 mm?

From a thread on sale of custom spokes by John Holmes:

I just hook them over a ruler, which is the way I have heard from all other bicycle mechanics. From the inside of the elbow on the head. This is also how the spokes come measured from Sapim. Hook them over a ruler and it is dead nuts what they are labeled. It doesn't make more than a mm difference, not enough to throw a build off unless the spokes are already way off.

For more discussion of measuring spokes see the thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16218&start=255

It is a little hard to tell from the photo, as the ruler doesn't go from the inside of the elbow to the end. But it looks like that spoke is even shorter than the 77mm spokes that are OK for my HS3540 in a 20" wheel.

Cal, that Crystalyte document indicates it is dimensions for both the HS and HT Hubmotors, i.e. they have the same dimensions. Spokes that work for one should work for the other. That said, the spoke length listed for an HS3540 on the ebikes.ca site didn't work for my HS3540. As they say, YMMV.

Rich

richmpdx said:
From a thread on sale of custom spokes by John Holmes:

I just hook them over a ruler, which is the way I have heard from all other bicycle mechanics. From the inside of the elbow on the head. This is also how the spokes come measured from Sapim. Hook them over a ruler and it is dead nuts what they are labeled. It doesn't make more than a mm difference, not enough to throw a build off unless the spokes are already way off.

For more discussion of measuring spokes see the thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16218&start=255

It is a little hard to tell from the photo, as the ruler doesn't go from the inside of the elbow to the end. But it looks like that spoke is even shorter than the 77mm spokes that are OK for my HS3540 in a 20" wheel.

Cal, that Crystalyte document indicates it is dimensions for both the HS and HT Hubmotors, i.e. they have the same dimensions. Spokes that work for one should work for the other. That said, the spoke length listed for an HS3540 on the ebikes.ca site didn't work for my HS3540. As they say, YMMV.

Rich

Ok.

So, here's the data that I used for the spoke calculator I used:

Complete wheel data

My hub
Right flange ø: 228
Left flange ø: 228
Centre to right flange: 16
Centre to left flange: 16
Spoke hole ø: 3

My rim
Effective rim ø: 536
Offset spoke bed: 0
Spoke length

for 36 spokes

Crosses Right Left Tension L/R
0 153.3 153.3 100%
1 164.8 164.8 100%
2 194.1 194.1 100%
3 232 232 100%
4 271.4 271.4 100%

VPS%20HS3525%20Spoke%20Calc.jpg

Seem right? Gives me measurements for an undished setup using 165 mmm spokes for a 1 cross 36H wheel.

Cal,
To start with a disclaimer, my knowledge of wheel building is very sketchy, maybe somebody with more knowledge will respond to this thread. If the data you entered is correct, then the spoke length should be OK. About the data, how did you get the hub flange diameter? It is my understanding that this measurement is the distance between the center of one spoke hole to the center of another spoke hole on the opposite side of the same hub flange. That measurement isn't shown on the crystalyte pdf file you attached. The value given for this on the ebikes.ca site is 233 mm. I haven't tried to directly measure it on my HS3540. If you use 233 as on the ebikes.ca site rather than 228 that you used and an ERD of 536, 1 cross, you get 162.8 or so depending on which calculator you use. Of course that is about 2 mm shorter than the calculated value if you use a flange diameter of 228. I am not sure, but a 2 mm difference maybe relatively easily accommodated by a 1 cross pattern. For what it is worth, the Ebikes San Francisco website lists some spoke lengths for various builds with Crystalyte H series hubs. For a 1 cross pattern, ERD 544, they list 167 mm as the spoke length. If I use hub flange 233, ERD 544, 1 crosspattern in the UBI spoke calculator, I get the same value as the spoke length on the Ebikes SF site, 167 mm. So it is a very indirect confirmation that the 233 mm flange diameter can be used.

Please post the spoke length that works when you get it sorted out as I am interested in a new build and need to solve the same kind of issue.

Rich

richmpdx said:
Cal,
To start with a disclaimer, my knowledge of wheel building is very sketchy, maybe somebody with more knowledge will respond to this thread. If the data you entered is correct, then the spoke length should be OK. About the data, how did you get the hub flange diameter? It is my understanding that this measurement is the distance between the center of one spoke hole to the center of another spoke hole on the opposite side of the same hub flange. That measurement isn't shown on the crystalyte pdf file you attached. The value given for this on the ebikes.ca site is 233 mm. I haven't tried to directly measure it on my HS3540. If you use 233 as on the ebikes.ca site rather than 228 that you used and an ERD of 536, 1 cross, you get 162.8 or so depending on which calculator you use. Of course that is about 2 mm shorter than the calculated value if you use a flange diameter of 228. I am not sure, but a 2 mm difference maybe relatively easily accommodated by a 1 cross pattern. For what it is worth, the Ebikes San Francisco website lists some spoke lengths for various builds with Crystalyte H series hubs. For a 1 cross pattern, ERD 544, they list 167 mm as the spoke length. If I use hub flange 233, ERD 544, 1 crosspattern in the UBI spoke calculator, I get the same value as the spoke length on the Ebikes SF site, 167 mm. So it is a very indirect confirmation that the 233 mm flange diameter can be used.

Please post the spoke length that works when you get it sorted out as I am interested in a new build and need to solve the same kind of issue.

Rich

Thanks for the well thought response.

I got the flange diameter by averaging 239 and 217 from the diagram. I guess that is a bad assumption to make, so I must measure the flange diameter myself. I have the motor here with me, so I will try it shortly and roll with what ever number I get out of that.

I'll post back any of my findings back in this thread.

Maybe there should be a thread started for listing successful wheel builds and the measurements used etc?

So I just went out to the motor to measure it. The axle makes it difficult to get a real diameter, but I took measurements from several angles and settled on 230 as a good flange diameter.

The axle to spoke (center to center) radius measured at 115 mm. But it could have been 114 mm since there was some "eyeballing" the exact location since the axle end is on a different parallel plane.

I think 230 is a safe number to use as it also averages the ebikes.ca number and the "calculated" number of 228. Putting that back into the calculator gives me a spoke length of 164 mm with a cross 1 pattern.

I'm going with the 164 and will report my success. Not sure how long it will take though, since I have about 5 wheels to build. :roll:

Practice makes perfect :mrgreen:

I just found this thread again and thought I should actually report back as I promised. The wheel built perfectly with 164mm spokes on my Alex Supra D rim (ERD 536mm)

I've had some spokes break on the disc side though. I believe that I have not properly stressed some of the spokes. I'm going to order a new set of spares and pull the wheel and do a light rebuild and true.

Back